Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Can shoes really cause drift?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rock_star
Swing Artist

Can shoes really cause drift?

I've heard that minor scratches in the slider can cause a drift.

Is this true?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-19-12 01:53PM
rock_star is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rock_star Click here to Send rock_star a Private Message Find more posts by rock_star Add rock_star to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Simple answer - yes. More prominent in steel sliders, not so much in teflon. Can be remedied by sanding lightly with very fine sand paper in the opposite direction of the drift. Would not recommend sanding teflon. Instead, work on your mechanics.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.114.255.3

Old Post 01-19-12 03:31PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Failed to mention that minor scrathes in teflon can be removed or at least improved by "polishing" or rubbing your slider over sheep skin.

Old Post 01-19-12 03:34PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

I really can't believe that minor scratches can cause a drift! It would have to be pretty major.

So many other things in the delivery, even small things can cause it and are way more likely. The added friction of a scratch would be unmeasurable.

Old Post 01-19-12 04:31PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

The simple answer is yes.

I have witnessed many curlers instantly remove a drift out of their slide during their slide simply by putting on a different pair of shoes which I think disproves the theory that scratches on a slider don't have any effect.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 128.233.33.110

Old Post 01-19-12 06:51PM
Super Rockchucker

Re: Can shoes really cause drift?

quote:
Originally posted by rock_star
I've heard that minor scratches in the slider can cause a drift.

Is this true?

No. I believe shoes causing drift is an urban myth from the Asham Red Brick slider era. However I am willing to contact the Myth Busters about this and stand by their results.

Old Post 01-19-12 08:05PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
I really can't believe that minor scratches can cause a drift! It would have to be pretty major.

So many other things in the delivery, even small things can cause it and are way more likely. The added friction of a scratch would be unmeasurable.

Wow, I must be having a nightmare, for once I'm in agreement with Lolar.

Old Post 01-19-12 08:11PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Dead spots in teflon sliders can assist in drifting...

JH

Old Post 01-19-12 10:14PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tookthetrip
Harvey Hacksmasher

From experience I can tell you that a drift is caused by flawed mechanics, but you can correct a drift more easily with slower shoes. Steel sliders are so fast that it is hard to make corrections to your delivery. Interestingly, if you use a Ryan Express steel slider (three steel triangles) it is easier to correct the drift compared to using a flat steel slider. Sound like I used to drift much? Take a lesson and you won't have to worry about it...

Old Post 01-20-12 02:08AM
tookthetrip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tookthetrip Click here to Send tookthetrip a Private Message Find more posts by tookthetrip Add tookthetrip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rock_star
Swing Artist

Any thoughts on what causes drift?

Old Post 01-20-12 08:38AM
rock_star is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rock_star Click here to Send rock_star a Private Message Find more posts by rock_star Add rock_star to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Bad mechanics as was stated above. This could be due misalignment in the hack or the sliding foot crossing the line of delivery, etc.

Old Post 01-20-12 08:48AM
tookthetrip
Harvey Hacksmasher

I agree it is mostly caused by your sliding foot coming across to quickly. Other contributors are poor balance, timing of how fast to move the rock forward as you begin your push from the hack, and rock position during set-up. I would say a good start would be to make sure your rock is directly below your armpit during set-up (if you're using a flatfoot delivery) and making sure to keep the rock a little more ahead of you than you're used to. There are also some good articles that will help to correct it if you google curling drift.

Old Post 01-20-12 08:59AM
tookthetrip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tookthetrip Click here to Send tookthetrip a Private Message Find more posts by tookthetrip Add tookthetrip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rock_star
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tookthetrip
I agree it is mostly caused by your sliding foot coming across to quickly. Other contributors are poor balance, timing of how fast to move the rock forward as you begin your push from the hack, and rock position during set-up. I would say a good start would be to make sure your rock is directly below your armpit during set-up (if you're using a flatfoot delivery) and making sure to keep the rock a little more ahead of you than you're used to. There are also some good articles that will help to correct it if you google curling drift.

I get the sliding foot coming across too quickly on an out-turn (for right-handed) but doesn't explain drift on an in-turn. Foot coming across to quickly sliding that way usually isn't an issue.

Old Post 01-20-12 09:51AM
Super Rockchucker

Coming across the line with your sliding foot is always an issue regardless of the shot. You will not slide directly at the broom.

If you find on certain shots you do not drift then you have some consistency issues you need to address in your delivery.

Old Post 01-20-12 10:28AM
Marc Bernard
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Wow, I must be having a nightmare, for once I'm in agreement with Lolar.

Surprised that Lolar didn't suggest enlisting the help of a certified coach...

Old Post 01-20-12 11:49AM
Marc Bernard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Bernard Visit Marc Bernard's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Bernard Add Marc Bernard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matty

Shoes can definitely cause a drift, and not in a way mentioned yet in this thread. I've known people who put either duct tape or some sort of coating on their trailing toe in an effort to reduce drag, and in some cases this reduced the drag to the point where it caused the trailing toe to flail out to the right a bit.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.73.14.251

Old Post 01-20-12 12:33PM
Unregistered

That is a drift in some sense, but I think the initial poster meant a less drastic drift. Not one where your trailing foot flails all over the place, but rather a drift where your slide remains solid but you move is a sideways motion off the line of delivery. I agree with previous posters that the main reason for a drift is your sliding foot coming across your line of delivery too quick, giving you an outward motion away from the broom. This is a timing issue. Maybe you need to slow your delivery down a bit in the hack to get everything moving in unison.

Old Post 01-20-12 03:56PM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by rock_star
Any thoughts on what causes drift?

Leaning on your broom when you slide out of the hack.

JH

Old Post 01-21-12 08:06PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tubby
Swing Artist

I have 2 stainless steel 1/2 sliders that are identical except for the fact that one makes me drift slightly to the right, and the other makes me drift slightly to the left.

Old Post 01-21-12 10:10PM
tubby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tubby Click here to Send tubby a Private Message Find more posts by tubby Add tubby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tubby
I have 2 stainless steel 1/2 sliders that are identical except for the fact that one makes me drift slightly to the right, and the other makes me drift slightly to the left.
Make sure you're putting these two sliders on the same foot :-)

Old Post 01-22-12 09:31AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
The simple answer is yes.

I have witnessed many curlers instantly remove a drift out of their slide during their slide simply by putting on a different pair of shoes which I think disproves the theory that scratches on a slider don't have any effect.

I would think it's more likely the instep in the shoe changing the balance points....but if it works.....

Old Post 01-24-12 06:39PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Bernard

Surprised that Lolar didn't suggest enlisting the help of a certified coach...

Better I'd suggest an expert..... or a real pro coach.....

Old Post 01-24-12 06:40PM
Unregistered

I've been on steel apollos (asham) for 15 years, and yes, steel will drift very badly if #1 it is a brand new slider with no markings, grooves or scratches (its like being on trick skis), or #2 if its grooved and scratched in a way that doesn't work with your slide, sending you into a drift or pulling you in a certain direction.

It took me 2-3 years to perfect and work in my steel apollos and I've worn them for 15 years, changing shoes but keeping the slider. Once you've worn in your steel and it works for your slide, don't ever polish it or alter the surface. That's my experience with it.

when I started out with it I had horrible drift, my dad took the slider and scratched it up against a carpet/rug in the direction the the slider moves up the ice as I slide. The scratches and grooves made a huge difference immediately.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.79.32.240

Old Post 01-25-12 09:03AM
Super Rockchucker

Were you using a slip on slider?

Old Post 01-25-12 09:17AM
Unregistered

no, it is a 2 piece steel, (oval shaped) that is glued to my shoe. I have removed them from old shoes and had them reglued to newer shoes before.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.79.32.240

Old Post 01-25-12 09:53AM