Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > David Murdoch and curling canada
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
misty1
Supreme Champion!

David Murdoch and curling canada

Just curious what everyone's thoughts on this move by cc are. Im kind of nervous. What are the chances he does in Canada what he did in Scotland and what most other countries have done. Could he convince canada to make it so that your ranking plays a part in whether you go to worlds or not. Might we see that winning the scotties or brier doesn't get you to worlds

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-10-23 11:28AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: David Murdoch and curling canada

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Could he convince canada to make it so that your ranking plays a part in whether you go to worlds or not

I think he could easily say "winner of this event goes to Worlds, but you can't even play in this event unless you have decent ranking in the first place".

Whether that event is the Brier/Scotties is the bigger conversation that needs to happen. Maybe, just like Canada has Olympic Trials every 4 years, they should also have a Worlds Trial every year, and make finals a best-of-3 series or something like that.

Old Post 02-10-23 12:58PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

In the last decade which men's or women's team that went for worlds are we trying to undo? Because I'm not sure what exactly introducing rankings is achieving when the Brier and Scotties winners are all top ranked teams.

Or is the argument that Gushue, Koe and Bottcher are so bad they shouldn't be allowed to compete at the Brier? Just like Rachel Homan never should've been allowed to go to the Olympics because she was only...reigning world champion.

Scotland has NEVER won a men's olympic gold and their last world championship was 14 years ago. And yet people praise their program. Meanwhile their women's team flop into a gold medal and we act like it's amazing, but if Krista McCarvilla had won the Scotties there would be some people saying she shouldn't go to worlds. It's all absolutely absurd. Canada's selection method hasn't produced a fluke team in recent memory so that cannot be the problem. The last Olympic fluke was MAYBE Brad Jacobs and, uh, he won gold. You probably have to go back to Gushue 2006 to get a real fluke team and, uh, same result. On the women's side they have made had fewer top top teams but their results have been fine and the top teams don't do much better.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 02-10-23 at 02:56PM

Old Post 02-10-23 02:52PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

My prediction for the most obvious David Murdoch move he'll make is building a high tech national curling academy, ala Stirling for Scotland, as a long term investment for high performance curling in Canada.

I don't think he'll mess with Scotties/Brier too much, but I can see him repurposing them so winners wear the Maple Leaf and represent Canada at Pan-Continental instead of Worlds.

Old Post 02-10-23 03:07PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
My prediction for the most obvious David Murdoch move he'll make is building a high tech national curling academy, ala Stirling for Scotland, as a long term investment for high performance curling in Canada.

I don't think he'll mess with Scotties/Brier too much, but I can see him repurposing them so winners wear the Maple Leaf and represent Canada at Pan-Continental instead of Worlds.

So basically you think he will do what you've been harping on about for a year now. Shocking!

Old Post 02-10-23 04:05PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
you've been harping on about for a year now

This isn't about me. Many people have wondered for years that just like Olympic Trials winners go to Olympics, maybe Canada Cup winners go to Worlds.

Here's Chelsea Carey quote from Kristina Rutherford's piece:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/lo...t-back-to-no-1/
quote:
“By the way we do the Olympic trials, we’ve already admitted that the Scotties and the Brier formats aren’t the best format to decide who goes to a world championship,” says Carey. She wonders about determining the world representative through the Canada Cup, which is a best-on-best between the country’s top-ranked teams.

The problem with this idea is, of course, what do you then do with the winners of the Brier/Scotties?

Well, we now have the Pan Continental, so that's naturally the answer to that question. WCF graciously added one more opportunity for teams to wear the Maple Leaf and represent Canada. With so many great teams in the country, surely we can't just keep sending the Brier/Scotties winners twice?

What if WCF expands further and adds another opportunity for teams to wear the Maple Leaf and represent Canada? Are we now going to send the Brier/Scotties winners three times?

It makes perfect sense to repurpose Brier/Scotties so winners go to Pan Continental, and have a few high performance teams compete in a separate Worlds Trial event. This will also take those teams out of provincial playdowns, which will make them more exciting again, with new grassroot teams emerging. Scheduling conflict is no longer an issue, and we can have all sorts of high-performance events during playdown season (which is a bit long with all the different provinces involved, and with separate men/women events ala SK, MB, AB, etc.).

Supposedly Sportsnet/GSOC is looking to add more events, so maybe we can add a few slams during playdown season for the high-performance teams, giving them reps against the best international teams instead of asking them to destroy everyone in their provinces year after year.

Old Post 02-10-23 08:57PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

If you want to hear from other people, here are some podcast episodes and written articles (I'll edit to add more as I find them).

Rocks Across the Pond: “Muddy” waters in Canada
http://www.rocksacrossthepond.com/2...ters-in-canada/

Inside Curling - Going International ft. Selena Njegovan
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...i=1000599059449

2 Girls and a Game - So much for our week off
https://2girlsandagame.libsyn.com/s...or-our-week-off

The Curling News - An Open Letter to David Murdoch (from Mike Fournier)
https://www.si.com/curling/blog/an-...o-david-murdoch

Last edited by curlingclips on 02-11-23 at 11:31AM

Old Post 02-10-23 09:25PM
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

Murdoch to be fair is just being brought in a performance director - he isn't running Curling Canada and will have no role in selection as its done via a competitive process.

That is totally different to Scotland where there are only a handful of curlers who can compete at world and Olympic level. Bar a shock in the Scottish finals today Team Mouat and Team Morrison will be playing the worlds and europeans and probably every year to until the 2026 Olympics.

I presume Mr Murdoch is getting a pay rise - and good luck to him. Having helped deliver an Olympic women's gold and a men's silver he probably thinks its going to be hard to top that by staying with British curling.

Old Post 02-11-23 06:00AM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

This isn't about me. Many people have wondered for years that just like Olympic Trials winners go to Olympics, maybe Canada Cup winners go to Worlds.

Here's Chelsea Carey quote from Kristina Rutherford's piece:

This is all fine and good but it is, like so many other discussions here, conflating multiple issues. With due to respect to her, someone I do respect, Carey's quote is stupid. There is absolutely ZERO truth to the idea that Brier/Scotties don't determine the best Canadian team at a very consistent rate; it is just a baseless thing to say. Who is the lowest ranked team in the last decade to win the national championship? Ironically it's almost certainly Carey herself, who only won because Rachel Homan missed three open draws to the four foot. And I somehow doubt in Carey's mind she was suggesting she be excluded from consideration.

If you want to send a different team to the Pan Continental that makes sense to me. But the sole reason to do so is to spread the wealth not because we have a quality issue at worlds. And if you're going to reconfigure this all then it would be brain dead to take your two brand name events and make them less important. Nobody gives a hoot about the Canada Cup. They don't even have it on a consistent basis. You have flagship events and you should continue to flog those because they're known.

Old Post 02-11-23 01:26PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
conflating multiple issues

With all due respect, I think you're conflating multiple issues.

I don't think anyone is saying that Brier/Scotties don't produce the best teams, or that there were fluke winners in the past that were problematic.

The problem is the residency rules and structure of the Brier/Scotties, and how high performance teams had to work around it.

If Brier/Scotties adds a silly rule where leads have to deliver their stones blindfolded, for example, we may still see Gushue/Koe/Bottcher win the Brier, because they are that good and that dedicated to the cause. That's a separate issue from whether it's a good idea to have the blindfold rule in the first place.

Old Post 02-11-23 03:05PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
it would be brain dead to take your two brand name events and make them less important

You absolutely brought up a very good point. If David Murdoch changed things so that Curling Canada would receive way less money from TSN for the Brier/Scotties, then that would be a brain dead move.

However, I will point out that wearing the Maple Leaf and representing Canada at Pan Continental is important. It's so important, in fact, that some people are against this idea because they think putting the future of high performance curling on the shoulder of grassroot Brier/Scotties teams is too risky. Personally I think the risk is minimal, but in any case, this only underlines just how important Pan Continental will be, and in turn, how important Scotties/Brier will be if winners go to Pan Continental.

Can you imagine a future where grassroot Krista McCarville wins the Scotties and represents Canada at Pan Continental so that hopefully high performance teams like Kerri Einarson can have a chance to go to Worlds?

Some people will say that's backwards and too risky, but I think it's romantic, exciting, and should be a safe proposition for at least the next few years.

-------------------------

Also, if we separate high performance from Scotties/Brier, then that would free up the calendar so we can add high performance events during playdown season. These events can get their own TV contracts, so even if Brier/Scotties becomes less valuable as a product, it may be offset by having these brand new products instead.

Last edited by curlingclips on 02-11-23 at 04:44PM

Old Post 02-11-23 04:39PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I am enjoying this discussion of future possible events for great Canadian Curlers. It doesn't sound like Murdoch will be here to change our system, though he may bring points from discussions at the Scottish table, to our conversations. He will have folks to answer to on both sides - athletes and executive - with the task to make the athletes perform at the excellent level, in the current system - whatever that my be. Diverting athletes will not help performance. The players association will trigger enough diversion.

Old Post 02-11-23 08:34PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

I don't expect Murdoch doing something like just certain teams can win Scotties to Worlds. He didn't do it in Scotland then, why would he do it in Canada?

I know Joanne Courtney said timing from Scotties/Worlds is way too short. Is this something you want to change, have your nationals earlier which would mean earlier provincials?

Same thing for Olympic trials. How should teams be selected for trials, is it too late?

And what happens of the Canada Cup? We know the Pointsbet event is back, do you have the time to have another event and can it serve as PanContinental qualifier?

I don't have those answers, but those are the questions that are worth asking to a HPD.

Old Post 02-11-23 10:47PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Game of Stones podcast has an interesting conspiracy theory.

Basically, it's suggested that perhaps Tim Hortons dumping the Brier sponsorship doesn't mean that Tim Hortons is pulling out of curling. Maybe the reason why is because there would be a separate Worlds Trials high performance event, and Tim Hortons would be sponsoring that new event instead.

Interesting theory, but doesn't sound true to me. If Tim Hortons is interested in sponsoring that other new event, then they can probably do it without dumping the Brier.

They did point out that the Brier may not be as valuable as a brand as the Scotties, for the simple fact that "Scotties" already bears the sponsoring company name. So maybe Tim Hortons would dump the Brier to sponsor a new event that bears their name, e.g. "Horties" or something like that.

Just like the Olympic Trials, the "Horties" Worlds Trials would have men's & women's combined in one event, so it may be more appealing to Tim Hortons than just the Brier.

It should be noted that Tim Hortons did sponsor the last 3 Olympic Trials (2013, 2017, 2021).

Last edited by curlingclips on 02-13-23 at 10:29PM

Old Post 02-12-23 10:50PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

During a chat with Bob Weeks, Shannon Birchard also suggested the need for a centralized training facility for high performance curling, acknowledging that Canadian teams are geographically-challenged compared to Scotland.

https://twitter.com/TSNCurling/stat...555472504999936

I feel like this is a sure bet. It's a safe legacy for David Murdoch: even if he can't produce a gold medal in 2026, he can at least build a David Murdoch Academy for Canadian Curling Excellence that will still be there long after he's gone.

Old Post 02-14-23 01:26PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

In Sweden, Anna Hasselborg just won Game 7 against Isabella Wranå, thus winning the best-of-7 series of their World Women's Trial.

Canada needs to start doing this too for the Worlds & Olympics Trials, in my opinion. Best-of-3 finals should be minimum.

Old Post 02-21-23 04:31PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
In Sweden, Anna Hasselborg just won Game 7 against Isabella Wranå, thus winning the best-of-7 series of their World Women's Trial.

Canada needs to start doing this too for the Worlds & Olympics Trials, in my opinion. Best-of-3 finals should be minimum.

I think that’s an excellent idea…

Old Post 02-21-23 05:31PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

They interviewed some players from 2023 Scotties about Murdoch hiring.

TSN.ca: Scotties’ elite curlers surprised, but intrigued after Murdoch hiring by Curling Canada

Kamloops This Week: Einarson hopes players voices will be heard under Curling Canada high-performance director Murdoch

Nothing substantial in terms of plans and ideas, but I'd say the general sentiment is overwhelmingly positive for upcoming changes.

Last edited by curlingclips on 02-22-23 at 03:45AM

Old Post 02-22-23 02:40AM
hogged again
Drawmaster

Doubt if this works out well.
Did CurlCanada hire the guy to represent the interests of the players to produce "high performance" or did they hire him to try to control the players? Looking at CC history and the fact that he's from a system that is very hands on from management I suspect the latter.
Also there is some sort of players union being formed and with the general dissatisfaction among elite Canadian teams regarding the rules I think there will be conflict sooner rather than later.

Last edited by hogged again on 02-22-23 at 03:24PM

Old Post 02-22-23 03:19PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

They had a media scrum at 2023 Brier. Apparently David Murdoch has already started the new job, much earlier than what was reported in previous announcements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okkKfFl-Md8&t=11s

Old Post 03-10-23 02:15PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

I won't comment on the politics of what Murdoch may or may not do in his new position - because I really don't care about such politics.

I will comment on the hiring itself, though...

Canada (and Curling Canada) likes to claim curling as ITS GAME. Canada (and Curling Canada) likes to claim that Canada is the best country for curling with the best curlers in the world.

And then they go and hire a SCOTTSMAN to a very significant position within Curling Canada.
To me, this is completely ridiculous.

I have absolutely nothing against David Murdoch. My father became friends with David's father at a Worlds event, and both David and his father seem(ed) like very nice people.
BUT IS THERE HONESTLY NO CANADIAN WHO CAN FILL THIS POSITION?!
With all of the great curlers - past and present - in Canada, how can they possibly not hire a Canadian for this position?
Did every Elite level Canadian curler - past and present - refuse the position when offered?
It's mind boggling.

How can Canada possibly claim, with a straight face, to be the best curling country on the planet if it feels it must go outside of the country to find someone to guide its best curlers?!
This is crazy.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 03-10-23 09:32PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

I'm thinking they wanted an outsider's POV and liked what he had to offer to the table, whatever it may be.

Old Post 03-10-23 09:40PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
I'm thinking they wanted an outsider's POV and liked what he had to offer to the table, whatever it may be.

I agree about the outsider POV. Also I'm not sure Canada claims to be the best curling country anymore. Maybe depth wise somewhat still but not at the top level consistently across all the competitions.

Old Post 03-10-23 10:26PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

No.
They want a different perspective?
Do all Canadian curlers have the same perspective/strategy on curling? No - of course not. If you round up 20 elite level Canadian curlers, you can have at least 10 different perspectives. So the needing to go outside of Canada in order to get a 'different perspective' argument goes out the window.

It's like hiring an American to teach elite level hockey for Hockey Canada...
Or hiring a Canadian to teach elite level baseball or football for the top organizations of those sports in the U.S.
Or hiring a Canadian to teach elite level soccer in Brazil or Spain or...
It's ridiculous.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 03-11-23 07:20PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by On The Nose
No.
They want a different perspective?
Do all Canadian curlers have the same perspective/strategy on curling? No - of course not. If you round up 20 elite level Canadian curlers, you can have at least 10 different perspectives. So the needing to go outside of Canada in order to get a 'different perspective' argument goes out the window.

It's like hiring an American to teach elite level hockey for Hockey Canada...
Or hiring a Canadian to teach elite level baseball or football for the top organizations of those sports in the U.S.
Or hiring a Canadian to teach elite level soccer in Brazil or Spain or...
It's ridiculous.
[/QUOTE

This time I agree. There are 50 Canadians qualified for this job......provided Curling Canada lets them do the job without their thumb pushing restraints. We'll hire you but do it our way.

Side note. WAAAAYYY too top heavy at Curling Canada.
They're like politicians. They do and say whatever they have to,... to get the job, Then do whatever they have to say and do to keep their job. What's best for Curling IN Canada be damned.

Old Post 03-11-23 09:56PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote