Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2023 Mens Worlds
Pages (11): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Prawnpuller

Few observations.
I highly doubt you will see Edins spectacular spin shot a regular occurrence at this caliber of play.It has been and always will be (1) a desperation shot or (2) a trick let’s shake hands shot. It is very impressive to see perhaps the best player in the world pull it off though.

No - it won't be a regular occurrence in games - largely because it requires a special circumstance to try it (like today's situation).
But I think we'll see it more in the future than we have in the past. Because it was successful today, it showed some teams who didn't know the shot existed that it does exist... and it showed the teams who knew it existed, but who didn't think it could be thrown successfully that it can indeed be successful.

When you show that something radical can be successful, you set a precedent that others will try. The fact that this was done on one of curling's biggest stages helps, of course.

As I said, I think it will become like 'The Michigan' in hockey - a radical thing that we won't see regularly, but will see more often than before.
Nobody thought that 'The Michigan' was possible before it was done successfully. Most people didn't even know that it was an option. Now they do.
Same with the extreme spinner curling shot.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 04-05-23 at 11:22PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-05-23 11:19PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Captain Iceberg
Knee-Slider

That stone rotated 57 turns across the sheet!
(Give or take one, it wasn’t visible on screen entire time.)

Old Post 04-06-23 02:29AM
Captain Iceberg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Captain Iceberg Find more posts by Captain Iceberg Add Captain Iceberg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
As I said, I think it will become like 'The Michigan' in hockey - a radical thing that we won't see regularly, but will see more often than before.
Nobody thought that 'The Michigan' was possible before it was done successfully. Most people didn't even know that it was an option. Now they do.
Same with the extreme spinner curling shot.

Plenty of people knew 'The Michigan' was possible because it had been done before quite often. It used to be called the 'Lacross' shot.

While the shot that Edin threw was mighty impressive, I'm amazed that they knew how much ice to take and where to put the broom and how to sweep it. Edin's getting all the glory but that was a team shot.

Old Post 04-06-23 04:39AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Loony

Plenty of people knew 'The Michigan' was possible because it had been done before quite often. It used to be called the 'Lacross' shot.

^ No.
In fact, only one person did it before Mike Legg of Michigan did it. Bill Armstrong originated the move a few years before Legg did it in 1996. Legg learned it from Armstrong in practice.
The reason it's known as 'The Michigan' is because Armstrong was a career minor leaguer, and the 4 times he did it didn't get much publicity. But when Legg did it for Michigan, it was a nationally televised game.

So, no, it was not a well known move that had been done quite often.

It's all here...
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/...ichigan-3473057

quote:
Originally posted by Loony

While the shot that Edin threw was mighty impressive, I'm amazed that they knew how much ice to take and where to put the broom and how to sweep it. Edin's getting all the glory but that was a team shot.

^ Sweeping had little to no effect on that shot. Edin is getting the credit for it because he was 95% responsible for it.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 04-06-23 06:04AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I'm a little surprised Japan quit down 3 with 2 to go. Yes it was an unfavorable situation but 8 say go all put for a steal in 9 and if you don't get it then quit. I've seen teams play on diwn 3 without in 10 so I'm surprised here. You never know. A bad 9th for norway and it could have been a lot more interesting in 10

Old Post 04-06-23 11:28AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Turkey just recorded their first ever win at the world men's. Congrats to them

Old Post 04-06-23 11:40AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911

Scotland should at worst be 7-5, and has already played Japan/US/Italy, beating all of them. They're in for sure unless they can't manage to beat 2 of these between Czech, Korea and NZ - Canada game could be a wash.

Italy still has Sweden and Japan left. I'm thinking the Japan/Italy game could decide the 6th spot..

As I thought, the Japan/Italy game is going to decide the 6th spot.

Old Post 04-06-23 04:36PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drg
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
not the first spinner i have seen, but was wild for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbcli...eature=youtu.be

EDIT: Oops, the wrong quote came up. I meant to quote Misty1's post at 2:47 PM yesterday listing a number of other shots..

How many of those shots did all the announcers say "that shot is impossible? I suspect none.

OTOH I think it was just a lucky shot because Edin would have no way of knowing what ice to take and what speed to throw it, or the amount of rotations he needed. He guessed and it probably wasn't a very educated guess. The fact that the gear effect moved Norway's rock up and away from Sweden's rock when the thrown rock was moving in the other direction was amazing!

Last edited by drg on 04-06-23 at 04:41PM

Old Post 04-06-23 04:36PM
drg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drg Click here to Send drg a Private Message Find more posts by drg Add drg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by drg

How many of those shots did all the announcers say "that shot is impossible? I suspect none.

OTOH I think it was just a lucky shot because Edin would have no way of knowing what ice to take and what speed to throw it, or the amount of rotations he needed. He guessed and it probably wasn't a very educated guess. The fact that the gear effect moved Norway's rock up and away from Sweden's rock when the thrown rock was moving in the other direction was amazing!

I mean, they practice this type of shot, so I don't know how confident I would be in saying it was not a very educated guess, but ok.

Old Post 04-06-23 04:41PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drg
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

I mean, they practice this type of shot, so I don't know how confident I would be in saying it was not a very educated guess, but ok.

A quote from a TSN article.

https://www.tsn.ca/curling/niklas-e...iEr9JQXHF1EMsYE

"Edin added it was a situation that you might encounter once or twice in your career."

"I tried it a few times for fun but I never practised it to actually have to do it," he said. "With newly papered rocks, it's one in a thousand maybe." _

Old Post 04-06-23 04:45PM
drg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drg Click here to Send drg a Private Message Find more posts by drg Add drg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by drg

A quote from a TSN article.

https://www.tsn.ca/curling/niklas-e...iEr9JQXHF1EMsYE

"Edin added it was a situation that you might encounter once or twice in your career."

"I tried it a few times for fun but I never practised it to actually have to do it," he said. "With newly papered rocks, it's one in a thousand maybe." _

So he's tried it a few times for fun but never practiced it to actually do it.. It sounds oxymoronic. They have played spinners before, Oskar did it in the fall in a game. I'll stand by my post that they have some knowledge of the ice to take and weight to throw. His team posted on twitter "Practice and have fun doing it." so..
Oskar's shot, that he almost made. https://twitter.com/C_hodgy/status/1589771038073958401

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-06-23 at 04:54PM

Old Post 04-06-23 04:51PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:

When are they going to let someone new win the Brier?! Or do these other teams have to pass some sort of test or get past a waiting period?

It's good to see curlingclips has another person here that doesn't have a clue about reality.

Old Post 04-06-23 05:11PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13

It's good to see curlingclips has another person here that doesn't have a clue about reality.

Did you see who i replied to?.. this was sarcasm.

Old Post 04-06-23 05:18PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Great day for turkey

Old Post 04-06-23 05:26PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Mouat with an absolutely brilliant draw for 2 in the 9th. Well done

Scotland heating up at the right time

Old Post 04-06-23 09:33PM
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
In fact, only one person did it before Mike Legg of Michigan did it. Bill Armstrong originated the move a few years before Legg did it in 1996. Legg learned it from Armstrong in practice.
The reason it's known as 'The Michigan' is because Armstrong was a career minor leaguer, and the 4 times he did it didn't get much publicity. But when Legg did it for Michigan, it was a nationally televised game.

So, no, it was not a well known move that had been done quite often.

It's not worth arguing about but be assured, the lacrosse shot was used many times before Legg did it. Just like the 'spinner' was used successfully before Edin in a number of curling matches, particularly by Finland's Tomi Rantamäki. He has it on video. This article describes it well.
https://www.si.com/curling/news/cra...shot-in-history

Old Post 04-07-23 02:18AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alvin
Knee-Slider

Spinner

There is a player in Finland (Rantamaki?) who has played consistently with the spinner for some years, perhaps more than 10. He was not very successful but must have had some influence, at least with Edin.

Old Post 04-07-23 03:40AM
Alvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alvin Find more posts by Alvin Add Alvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Spinner

Here's Tomi Rantamäki throwing a spinner in 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgVJlTIfw3o&t=57m49s

European curling has always been innovative about many things like technique, team lineups, etc.

Old Post 04-07-23 04:14AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

Mike McEwen was so excited about that shot he must have rushed right out to his curling club to try it out. Check his twitter. He's so funny.
https://twitter.com/MikeMcEwen80

Old Post 04-07-23 07:12AM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Folks, there is so much potential for ranking movement today. I hope the place is filled today to see some much anticipated curling (imo). We have a big game of Italy/Japan to kick us off in the morning draw. If Italy wins they're in and Japan is out. If Japan wins, then they need to beat GER in the evening draw to advance - I feel like some teams should/will be rooting for this outcome. We follow this draw up with SUI/SWE in the afternoon, with the winner being guaranteed 1st place**. Really looking forward to watching this on recast. The evening gives us a battle between the last two gold medal winning teams (replacing Brett with E.J, of course.)
I've ran all or at least a lot of scenarios, but realized how lengthy it was getting :S.
So with that said, the only thing guaranteed right now out of the playoff bound teams is that Switzerland will get a bye to the SF's. The sort of funny thing to me is if Sweden goes 1-1 today and finishes at 10-2, the difference could be if their win is vs SUI, they're in first place** (assuming they're still the best DSC of the bunched up potentials.) If their win is against Canada, they could be anywhere from 2nd or 4th depending on the hammer/DSC tiebreaking rules **(I'm confused which it is, I can't seem to find the hammer tiebreaker method that I think I saw someone post earlier this week).** If Sweden loses both today, they finish 5th (assuming Scotland/Norway win both today, and Canada wins this morning.) As a Canadian I am certainly looking forward to the SWE/CAN game, however, the SUI/SWE game has way more on the line.

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-07-23 at 07:44AM

Old Post 04-07-23 07:34AM
drg
Harvey Hacksmasher

CurlingWatcher1, I spoke to the Oligarchs this morning. They say they are not bothering with the Men's curling at all. They said they are too busy making sure a LIV Tour player wins the Masters this year.

BTW they did say for you to expect more malware being loaded on your devices. They said you are getting too close to the truth about their plan for world domination and controlling Canadian Brier results.

Old Post 04-07-23 08:34AM
decade
Super Rockchucker

That was a brutal performance this morning by Canada. Only Brad had a better shooting percent over his counterpart. If they play like that tonight it will be over in 6.

Old Post 04-07-23 12:35PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by decade
That was a brutal performance this morning by Canada. Only Brad had a better shooting percent over his counterpart. If they play like that tonight it will be over in 6.

Not a sharp game but whoever was scoring the Canadians was insane.

Old Post 04-07-23 01:18PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

SUI storm back and take down SWE. Big miss in the 9th by Edin set up the Suisse for a big 3 and the 6-5 lead instead of likely being down 5-4 going to 10.
Then Edin takes his chances on last rock and misses the run back and gives up the steal.
Up next: Canada.

Old Post 04-07-23 04:59PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I think the playoff picture for Canada can be summarized easily: If they win and SCO win then they play Norway in the elimination game (assuming NOR doesn't lose to TUR). Otheriwse it's Scotland or Sweden. So...maybe a good idea to beat Sweden tonight.

Old Post 04-07-23 05:37PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote