Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Season so far
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Season so far

So what are people's thoughts on the season so far? Martin won on the weekend as did Mrs. Middaugh in yet another event. Stoughten looking solid...Arsenault (Colleen's team) may be crafty cougars and make it to the trials.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-09-12 05:55PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Teams that seem to be doing well after line-up changes (some more major than others): Kleibrink, J.Jones/Lawes, K.Scott, Stoughton and Jacobs. I'll refrain from pointing out those that don't seem to have 'gelled' yet since it's very early days.

It's too bad there wasn't an Olympic Trials more often - it really encourages the top teams to compete

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.161.66.102

Old Post 10-09-12 10:55PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curl401

Colleen's team are off to a good start. They would need to win three or four more spiels,NS Provincial plus the Scott and they would still not have enough points to be even close!
If they were so serious about the Trials why are they not in the Grand Slam womens events. 5 points for a win in Toronto
40 points for a win in Calgary
Makes no sense

They will not be in the Trials but dream on

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.177.223.235

Old Post 10-10-12 09:51AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I think its been a great season so far. Last season we saw alot of youngsters scoring upsets but so far this season its like the veterans are reassurting themselves.

i think the team sherry has with her now may be the strongest team she's ever had and she is the red hot favorite to win ontario right now

nice to see the young eriksson rink get the win in basel. All the young swiss teams that had break out seasons last year (hess, michel, dercuz) are porving so far that they are for real Also nice to see mario freiberger getting success

i was delighted to see team arsenault win and jeff to finally win a cash spiel again.

The kean v.s eppping rivalry is going to be huge in the years to come i think
the new team virtue is really not looking good at all. They are 5-8 on the year and yet to win back to back matches this season..did brock make a huge or is it to soon to tell?

it looks like it took jeanna schraeder an event or 2 to get back in the groove but she looked good this past weekend so the rest of the tour may need to watch out for them again.

Old Post 10-10-12 03:31PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Middaugh's team is the same as she had last year and she didn't even make the final game of the Ontarios. Perhaps Horgan and Homan will have something to say about her success again this year!

Old Post 10-10-12 09:18PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Here's a question regarding this season:

with sweden's new method of selecting teams for the championships based off of the performance on the cash circuit then in the interest of sticking to that if the european championships were next week then eriksson would be the mens rep.

If you were peja would you send the experienced edin or would you stick to your process and reward eriksson for being the so far more consistent team and send that team instead. The eriksson rink is a very talented young rink and have just as much of a bright future ahead of them as the edin rink does.

edin will probabvly surpass eriksson in the standings because i dont think eriksson is playing canada. However if the eriksson rink continues to outperform edin then would you send them or stick with edin anyway?

Old Post 10-11-12 03:30PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tnh

More questions than answers

Early season results often raise more questions than answers. While the ladies have a weekend off, here are few questions that I have ...

Is this the year the next generation of women steps up? Young teams have done exceedingly well this year with Crystal Webster, Tracy Horgan, Rachel Homan, and Kaitlyn Lawes skipping their teams to wins. Many at CZ were disappointed to see Tracy represent Ontario at last year's SToH, think Rachel lacks strategy, are convinced Kaitlyn is a weak vice, and believe Crystal should be better with the PEI girls. That's how to show them!! Maybe this will be the year the experienced teams become supporting casts.

Will Jennifer Jones come back as skip? Thought I'd beat ML to this one . Team Jones has been dominating with Kaitlyn and Karen at the back end. Can this be because Dawn and Jill control games from the front end? Can they perform better with Jennifer skipping? Should Jones work her way back into curling form as vice? Feels weird to think this about a hall of fame athlete, but they haven't missed a beat without her.

What's going on with Chelsea Carey and Brock Virtue? Both these teams finished 2012 on the up-swing; both have been WCT roadkill this year. Are they trying things that have yet to gel? Are they over rated? Or is this just one of those down cycle things that happen in curling? Here's hoping they get sorted out soon!

Why don't more eastern teams play in Europe? Mark Dacey played in Basel - it was probably cheaper to fly from Halifax to Zurich than to Vancouver. James Grattan is in Switzerland this week. That might not be a bad way for teams to go if they are looking for good competition with reasonable travel costs.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.5.77.136

Old Post 10-27-12 04:48PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: More questions than answers

quote:
Originally posted by Tnh
Early season results often raise more questions than answers. While the ladies have a weekend off, here are few questions that I have ...

Is this the year the next generation of women steps up? Young teams have done exceedingly well this year with Crystal Webster, Tracy Horgan, Rachel Homan, and Kaitlyn Lawes skipping their teams to wins. Many at CZ were disappointed to see Tracy represent Ontario at last year's SToH, think Rachel lacks strategy, are convinced Kaitlyn is a weak vice, and believe Crystal should be better with the PEI girls. That's how to show them!! Maybe this will be the year the experienced teams become supporting casts.

Will Jennifer Jones come back as skip? Thought I'd beat ML to this one . Team Jones has been dominating with Kaitlyn and Karen at the back end. Can this be because Dawn and Jill control games from the front end? Can they perform better with Jennifer skipping? Should Jones work her way back into curling form as vice? Feels weird to think this about a hall of fame athlete, but they haven't missed a beat without her.

What's going on with Chelsea Carey and Brock Virtue? Both these teams finished 2012 on the up-swing; both have been WCT roadkill this year. Are they trying things that have yet to gel? Are they over rated? Or is this just one of those down cycle things that happen in curling? Here's hoping they get sorted out soon!

Why don't more eastern teams play in Europe? Mark Dacey played in Basel - it was probably cheaper to fly from Halifax to Zurich than to Vancouver. James Grattan is in Switzerland this week. That might not be a bad way for teams to go if they are looking for good competition with reasonable travel costs.

The younger teams are doing well but aside from kaitlyn's winning an event earlier this year the experienced teams are still coming through in the end. The 2 biggest titles of the year so far for the ladies have gone to middaugh and lawton. Unfortunately for them team homan was the runner up both times

Jenniffer will be back as skip, see no reason for her not to.

I dont know but i think brock switching his lineup was a mistake. He had a bright future with his old line up and was maybe close to a provincial break through. His new team has been more or less fodder this year . 5 events played and not even a sniff at a qualifier spot. I think maybe we have to give this team some time but they arent looking good at all. Not sure whats going on with chelsea carey either, possibly just the up and down of the tour

I think a bigger question is why are canadian teams now traveling less and less to europe? we used to see teams like martin, mcewen and koe going abroad regularly and now they dont and its the lesser known canadian teams traveling over seas.

Old Post 10-27-12 05:30PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Tnh

Jennifer should be back this year. However, don't expect too much from Team JJ this year. Its a fractured year and the only real events that count for them are the Manitoba championships (gateway berth to the Scotts) and maintaining enough points to be auto-berthed into the Olympic playdowns. Or are they already auto-berthed (Legend should know)
I think the real strength of Team Jones from an overall standpoint is the emotional intensity and control of said intensity by Jones herself. Add to that the best front end in women's curling (although Kelly Scott now has a pair of monsters in her front side and Homan's front end is starting to come into its own, Middaugh's front is very good, so is Lawtons when Singler is running on high) but Jill & Dawn are very formidable foes.
The function of JJ's thirds is to maintain control of an end and occasionally bail them out of trouble when JJ's power strategy runs amok and they face 2 or 3 opponent rocks in the rings.
JJ is still the best big-game hunter in women's curling especially when you see how poorly players like Lawton, Middaugh, Homan, Nedohin, etc. have performed under big heat.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.160.88

Old Post 10-28-12 12:25AM
decade
Super Rockchucker

JJ has already qualified for Trials along with Nedohin,
Info is posted on CCA site,

Old Post 10-28-12 08:36AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Tnh

I ams not sure if Brock Virtue made the right decision there also. I do not know how his new team is getting along but I hope they turn things around. I believe they will enter the playdowns out of Sask but right now Steve Laycock's team is the team to beat I think. Laycock should have beaten Koe last night.

Old Post 10-28-12 10:47AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

In BC Pierce is on an early season roll. Dangerfield had a good showing in Kamloops. And Cotter has slowed down after winning the small Vernon event at the seasons beginning. Not much else to say about the rest of the pack except that Buchy appears to be MIA.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.221

Old Post 10-28-12 01:02PM
TNH

Time to retract my roadkill comment for Chelsea Carey. Nice undefeated sweep in Red Deer!

And congrats to Rachel Homan for winning the "Battle of the Kreviazuks" in Kemptville!

The trend of younger teams winning in women's curling continues. Should be quite a year.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.48.201.155

Old Post 11-06-12 10:15AM
Unregistered

Red Deer CC

quote:
Originally posted by TNH
Time to retract my roadkill comment for Chelsea Carey. Nice undefeated sweep in Red Deer!

And congrats to Rachel Homan for winning the "Battle of the Kreviazuks" in Kemptville!

The trend of younger teams winning in women's curling continues. Should be quite a year.

Nice to see that winning the A side isn't always a curse. Both finalists from A. Congrats to Chelsea. And also a pretty decent run by Kaitlyn and mates. Came up a bit flat in the final (observation based solely on linescores as compared to other games) Too much time off in between games? Next time try for 8 ends

Old Post 11-06-12 11:47AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TNH

once again im not sure what trend your talking about because this is the first week that any younger team won an event

everything this year up tunil this past week has been won by the older more experienced teams

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 11-06-12 06:39PM
Hunttheherdbull
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
In BC Pierce is on an early season roll. Dangerfield had a good showing in Kamloops. And Cotter has slowed down after winning the small Vernon event at the seasons beginning. Not much else to say about the rest of the pack except that Buchy appears to be MIA.

We aren't missing in action just couldn't do any mens spiels this year because of holidays and concentrating on getting ready for the mixed. It would have been great if we could have swung a few spiels to get to play with our new third.

Bush

Last edited by Hunttheherdbull on 11-06-12 at 08:09PM

Old Post 11-06-12 07:50PM
Hunttheherdbull is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hunttheherdbull Click here to Send Hunttheherdbull a Private Message Find more posts by Hunttheherdbull Add Hunttheherdbull to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Cathy King at skip for JJ rink. in Red Deer

Hey ML that's interesting. I guess Kaitlyn had curled with her the year she lived in AB. Do you know the lineup in Saskatoon this w/e?

Old Post 11-06-12 08:14PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I think the Red Deer classic made me an even bigger fan of the Jennifer Jones organization.

Would have been easy for JJ to appoint a local spare to go to Red Deer, keep Kaitlyn at third and keep the horsepower on the front end.

Instead, Jennifer (and team) reaches back into curling history and brings the legendary Cathy King aboard. Cathy King has been nothing but roadkill the last few years, unable to attract top curlers to her teams but still trudging on, unable to hang up the brush.

So out of the blue who comes knockin' on Cathy's door? None other than Jennifer Jones, a younger legend.

She not only conscripts King to her team, she lets her skip and without flinching Kaitlyn moves down to her natural position - 3rd.

You'd think Cathy had won the lottery. They swept thru the event, until meeting their match in the final vs. Chelsea Carey.

But for Cathy King, a dish of redemption and the knowledge that with the right horsepower hitched to her wagon, she can still win.

And a gift from JJ - knowing she put a former great back onto the curling map.

Nice stuff JJ, nice stuff Kaitlyn, Jill & Dawn.

And as Vic Rauter once opined.

"Cathy King, there she goes - - - Snow White!!!"

thats pretty cool to hear that cathy came back and did so well like that. Im assuming it was kaitlyn's idea since she had curled with cathy for a season before joining jenniffer. Cathy is , in my oppinion the best skip to come out of alberta in a long time, she just hasnt always had the best team behind her.

Old Post 11-06-12 08:31PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I think the Red Deer classic made me an even bigger fan of the Jennifer Jones organization.

Would have been easy for JJ to appoint a local spare to go to Red Deer, keep Kaitlyn at third and keep the horsepower on the front end.

Instead, Jennifer (and team) reaches back into curling history and brings the legendary Cathy King aboard. Cathy King has been nothing but roadkill the last few years, unable to attract top curlers to her teams but still trudging on, unable to hang up the brush.

So out of the blue who comes knockin' on Cathy's door? None other than Jennifer Jones, a younger legend.

She not only conscripts King to her team, she lets her skip and without flinching Kaitlyn moves down to her natural position - 3rd.

You'd think Cathy had won the lottery. They swept thru the event, until meeting their match in the final vs. Chelsea Carey.

But for Cathy King, a dish of redemption and the knowledge that with the right horsepower hitched to her wagon, she can still win.

And a gift from JJ - knowing she put a former great back onto the curling map.

Nice stuff JJ, nice stuff Kaitlyn, Jill & Dawn.

And as Vic Rauter once opined.

"Cathy King, there she goes - - - Snow White!!!"

Except they won with Kirsten Wall on the team and Kaitlyn skipping.

Old Post 11-07-12 09:35AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:

That they did curlerbroad. That they did.

But Kirsten wasn't available last weekend and the JJ's brought Cathy King aboard.

I'm sure Ms. King will never forget being "Queen for a Week"

GAG! I see Legend has lost none of his teenage-girl-like infatuation with the Jones team.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.131

Old Post 11-07-12 02:16PM
TNH

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

once again im not sure what trend your talking about because this is the first week that any younger team won an event

everything this year up tunil this past week has been won by the older more experienced teams

Cathy King is a better story, but this is the none-too-shabby trend I was talking about :

Tracy Horgan, 26, Shorty Jenkins
Kaitlyn Lawes, 23, Shoot-out
Stefanie Lawton, 32, Manitoba Lotteries
Chelsea Carey, 28, Red Deer
Rachel Homan, 23, Royal LePage (and CF loser to Middaugh and Lawton)

Bodes well for an exciting year.

Old Post 11-07-12 02:35PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TNH

Cathy King is a better story, but this is the none-too-shabby trend I was talking about :

Tracy Horgan, 26, Shorty Jenkins
Kaitlyn Lawes, 23, Shoot-out
Stefanie Lawton, 32, Manitoba Lotteries
Chelsea Carey, 28, Red Deer
Rachel Homan, 23, Royal LePage (and CF loser to Middaugh and Lawton)

Bodes well for an exciting year.

im not sure id count stefanie lawton as one of the yopungsters. She's not old by any stretch but she's definately among the more experienced and veteran teams by now

Old Post 11-07-12 03:25PM
TNH

Smile

I'll let you call her "experienced and veteran" at 32. This might be the safest use of Unregistered I've seen.

Old Post 11-07-12 04:35PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TNH
I'll let you call her "experienced and veteran" at 32. This might be the safest use of Unregistered I've seen.

well im not sure how many other posters out there would not count stefanie lawton as one of the more experienced teams. I guess you would

Old Post 11-08-12 07:50AM
Unregistered

Lawton has not been around long enough to be considered a veteran but she is definately not one of the youngsters either.

Also a trend would imply that something is happening more often. The youngsters have only won 3 events this year so I would hardly call it a trend.

I am still waiting for a young team to win one of the big ones

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.163.53.10

Old Post 11-08-12 11:12AM