Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Curling World Cup
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Alice
Swing Artist

Curling World Cup

The website is up. This is an interesting addition to the international curling scene.

Autoberths for the top curling countries plus the most photogenic and thus most marketable curlers. This made for TV and online betting event illustrates the trend that on-ice results or geographic diversity will be valued less over time for new international WCF events in order to increase TV, sponsor and betting revenue streams.
https://www.curlingworldcup.com/qualification

Thoughts on the event's venue and team logos? Curlers likely will wear the same clothes to look increasingly like horse jockeys in their racing silks. I hope they will be treated better than the jockeys in Star Wars VIII.

Use of Pantone's 2018 color of year will be dated soon.
https://store.pantone.com/uk/en/color-of-the-year-2018/
Will the main CWC color be changed annually to match the Pantone color of year?

Good curling to those invited to compete for the new prize money at these tournaments.

Last edited by Alice on 07-20-18 at 12:08AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-19-18 05:23PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

cheap looking website. Sites made back in the 90's had more color and better graphics. smells somewhat scammish actually. Hopefully the WCF got the money upfront.

BTW, there's a counter that is ticking down 52 days until the first event, but there is no mention of a single athletes name for any, so-called, participating country.

Old Post 07-19-18 10:28PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nervous_times21
Harvey Hacksmasher

Canada's entries (from curling.ca):

Curling Canada also announced today the four-player teams that will compete in the first three legs of the inaugural Curling World Cup series.

The four-event Curling World Cup will feature teams from around the world; the first three events will have eight men’s, eight women’s and eight mixed doubles teams competing. The fourth leg, May 6-12 in Beijing, will be the Grand Final, featuring teams that qualified from the first three events.

Canada will be represented by Team Homan and Team Koe at the first event, Sept. 10-16 in China (city TBA), while Team Fleury and Team Gunnlaugson will play at the second event, Dec. 5-9 in Omaha, Neb., and Team Jones and Gushue will play the third event, Jan. 28-Feb. 3 in Europe (city TBA).

The Canadian mixed doubles entries will be decided at a later date.

Old Post 07-20-18 08:19AM
nervous_times21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nervous_times21 Click here to Send nervous_times21 a Private Message Find more posts by nervous_times21 Add nervous_times21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i don't know how i'll feel, we'll,, see. i will let it go through the first year and form an opinion later. preliminary is that to me it seems like a variation of the contintental cup so i don't understand why we need both. but like i said, i'll let it go a year and see how i like it.

i do agree the website sucks.

Last edited by misty1 on 07-20-18 at 01:16PM

Old Post 07-20-18 01:14PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Definitely not a fan of single draw shot deciding the match but I do like the NHL points formula being used.

I’d prefer to have the team that wins the DSC be offered two options, LSFE or a half point lead that would break a tie in regulation. The unchosen alternative would revert to the other team. In an eight end game it would change the game I think a lot.

Website is very meh...

Old Post 07-20-18 11:03PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
preliminary is that to me it seems like a variation of the contintental cup so i don't understand why we need both. but like i said, i'll let it go a year and see how i like it..

Why do you need this? FIrst it brings $165K in salaries to a sport that is a fledgling professional sport, desparate for additional funding. Second, any event that brings some of the best teams in teh world together, and on Arena Ice, is worthy to the sport overall. Doesnt seem like it will use gimicky things like skins. So the reason for why we need both, how is it bad, what are the downsides?

Old Post 07-21-18 07:31PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

Why do you need this? FIrst it brings $165K in salaries to a sport that is a fledgling professional sport, desparate for additional funding. Second, any event that brings some of the best teams in teh world together, and on Arena Ice, is worthy to the sport overall. Doesnt seem like it will use gimicky things like skins. So the reason for why we need both, how is it bad, what are the downsides?

i guess right now i do find it gimmicky. any event like this is gimmicky to me . like i said though i will see how it goes through the first year. maybe i'll like it

Old Post 07-22-18 09:52AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Most of your so called salaries will go as usual to the staff of Curl Canada and WCF with a few bucks thrown to WCT. Will give the red coats from CC a chance to travel some more.

Old Post 07-22-18 05:15PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Isn't CWC separate financially and logistically from WCT? Aren't the only connections that both allow Mr. Guertz to allot OOM points under the WCF rulebook and both tours want the top teams?

Good Spirit of Curling the CWC prize money is equal for men and women. Also, it is not a bad thing such an event has at least half its matches in Asia given the growth of the sport there. Puts more of the "world" in WCF.

Looking forward to learning what other teams are going. When those announcements will be made will be telling about the power dynamics between the athletes and their NGOs before and after the season starts.

2018 Olympic champion teams should make good contracts for their appearances at the final CWC event. They can set new standards for how USCA, Swedish Curling Association and Curling Canada contract with WCF and CWC for paymemts to the most marketable curlers for travel costs and appearance fees given the high costs of travel to Asia for them all.

Like golf, the biggest cash compensation for many athletes is not purses but the travel compensation and product endorsement income away from the game. Must such deals now be pre-approved by CWC for those who compete in those events?

As Danica Patrick said in her ESPY awards monologue last week, if she joked about particular athletes it was because they were important enough to merit such attention. Team Shuster made the monologue. Curling is no longer a weird niche sport. Our top curlers, at least the Olympic champions, may finally have better contracting power since the players's strike long ago in Canada.

Last edited by Alice on 07-23-18 at 06:17PM

Old Post 07-23-18 06:09PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Curling World Cup

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alice

Autoberths for the top curling countries plus the most photogenic and thus most marketable curlers.

This statement concerns me if true. If it's a so called "World Cup" they should NEVER make it a beauty pageant to qualify. Or even worse, denying a qualified, talented team because they aren't perceived as good enough looking!! A treacherous path to go down.

I hope this was only your opinion or your prediction, not fact.

Old Post 07-24-18 12:50PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

CWC's qualification webpage still says: "Another two teams, for each discipline, will be selected by the World Curling Federation Board, based on broadcast interest, marketing potential and/or promotional opportunities."

In a dreamworld, the most "photogenic" might not be a factor in that WCF Board decision, but then what do those CWC qualification words really mean while picking teams for the chance to earn CWC OOM points and big purses based on such off-ice factors?

Old Post 07-24-18 05:26PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Alice
CWC's qualification webpage still says: "Another two teams, for each discipline, will be selected by the World Curling Federation Board, based on broadcast interest, marketing potential and/or promotional opportunities."

In a dreamworld, the most "photogenic" might not be a factor in that WCF Board decision, but then what do those CWC qualification words really mean while picking teams for the chance to earn CWC OOM points and big purses based on such off-ice factors?

If this is true and actual criteria used in consideration for a team to participate, then this event should be banned immediately from the WCT and the WCF should withdraw all support.

Let me say this once and clearly: There should be ZERO tolerance for any event of competition which uses subjective criteria of this ilk. Curling, and all sports which use objective means to determine a winner, has no time or place for any event, organizing committee or individual who makes decisions based on subjective criteria.

One thing, and one thing only should be the determining factor: the scoreboard and how the scoreboard has shaped a teams ranking.

As a result, until this event removes this existing criteria from its team selection process I consider it disgusting and a non-event.

Last edited by jamcan on 07-24-18 at 06:48PM

Old Post 07-24-18 06:46PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

So...among the issues y'all have raised...I see the following:

"Rather than thinking time allocated for the full game, teams will have time allocated for each end:

For women’s and men’s games, from ends one to four, teams will have four minutes thinking time and four minutes 15 seconds from ends five to eight.
In mixed doubles, it will be two minutes 50 seconds and then three minutes."

What's the penalty for going over time? Still losing the game (which would seem incredibly dumb)? Losing the remainder of your stones for that end, while the other team gets to shoot (less dumb...but still...).

This seems so very unnecessary.

Old Post 07-26-18 02:19PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

As a result, until this event removes this existing criteria from its team selection process I consider it disgusting and a non-event.

Looking at the teams selected, I don't think they went off the reservation all that far

Consider the nations entered in all three events (WCF Rankings in Mens, Womens, and Mixed Doubles in parenthesis)

China (9,11,4)
Okay, they maybe don't belong other than in mixed, but they host two legs and own the sponsoring company...can't really complain here

USA (8,3,7)
Top 8 in all three disciplines, host a leg...no grounds for complaint

Sweden (1,1,10)
You could argue their mixed doubles team doesn't belong...but they host a leg

Canada (2,2,1)
If you complain about this, you need to check yourself for insanity

And the remaining teams (rank in the particular discipline in parenthesis)

Women - Scotland (3), Korea (6), Japan (7), Russia (4)

Switzerland (5) has a right to complain about being in over Japan...but not much of one

Men - Switzerland (4), Japan (7), Norway (6), Scotland (5)

So all top seven teams are in, and the other is China, who is hosting half the series and paying the bills...no legitimate gripe here

Doubles - Switzerland (2), Korea (5), Russia (6), Norway (3)

The only gripe is Sweden in over Finland (8), but Sweden is a host.

Frankly, I have a hard time coming up with any other criteria that would satisfy the hosts, the company paying the bills, and result in a stronger field...I'm not going to boycott an event because the 7th best Women's federation got in over the 5th best...

Old Post 07-26-18 02:34PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

Looking at the teams selected, I don't think they went off the reservation all that far

...Frankly, I have a hard time coming up with any other criteria that would satisfy the hosts, the company paying the bills, and result in a stronger field...I'm not going to boycott an event because the 7th best Women's federation got in over the 5th best...

If teams aren't granted entry either soley by world rankings or, like the FIFA World Cup, through a qualifying playoff, then its not a 'World Cup' nor should it be sanctioned as such by our global federation.

And I couldn't care a rats backside who is sponsoring, or how much they're contributing. There is no room for subjective criteria in the event. The Japanese women, for example, have no right or claim to be in over a superior ranked team.

All this event has the right to call itself is JAFSPIEL-Just Another F***ing Cashspiel. Because that's all it is until it uses real criteria not someone's opinion.

Old Post 07-26-18 05:49PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

If teams aren't granted entry either soley by world rankings or, like the FIFA World Cup, through a qualifying playoff, then its not a 'World Cup' nor should it be sanctioned as such by our global federation.

So The Masters, US Open, British Open, and PGA Championship shouldn't be "Majors" either, I presume:

They all allow "special exemptions"

Old Post 07-26-18 06:05PM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Or Wimbledon, which allows “wild cards” in the main draw. What a silly line of argument.

Old Post 07-26-18 08:48PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I see Jamcan's point. What if "The Masters" brought in qualifiers based on looks and not qualifications? Who decides? Whose interpretation of "looks"? Will Brad Pitt qualify? George Clooney? Or for the old guys like me, Tom Selleck? A bad precedent to set. It should only be most qualified based on skill and talent. This year seems self explanatory, BUT, why should the Swiss not be in. They are MUCH higher qualified than Japan. I say NO POINTS OF ANY KIND AWARDED TO WORLD EXHIBITION!!!!!! Let them win money but none should be awarded anything to advance up the rankings........purely invitational, not earnerd.

Old Post 07-26-18 10:52PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

There is nothing in the rules which say looks are a factor.

Marketability is.

Yes, looks can be a factor in marketability. However, much, much more of a factor is what color the flag on your back is.

Booking an event in Asia? China and/or Japan had better be involved, no matter where they rank.

Booking an event in the US? Better have Canada on the carpet.

Etc, etc, etc. that's all these rules say...they say "Them who pays the piper calls the tune"...and that means they will invite the nation that brings the most eyeballs to the event.

And, frankly, no one tunes into curling because of the physical appearance of the curlers...yes, we are blessed with some truly beautiful people on the ice (on both sides of the gender line), but that ain't what got them there, nor is it why the fans tune in.

As for not awarding merit points because of who's in...yeah...right...these matches are occurring between top rated teams (assuming every nation sends their best, at least), with the most money at stake on the tour (okay, maybe not the most, but it's up there), the games are going to be competitive, and they should be included in the rankings of the teams.

At least, if you're going to buy into the whole premise that the OOM is based on...that's an argument for another post altogether.

Old Post 07-27-18 08:56AM
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Very happy to see another big event come to Omaha!!!

My hometown is building a nice reputation for big curling events. I'm hoping the OSC can build on this and perhaps obtain a men or women's worlds in the future.

Because of this event, I've decided not to attend the Continental Cup in Vegas. Why? I'm getting a CC type event without the expense of traveling to Vegas.

Thinking of volunteering as an official (time keeper or on-ice).

For out of towners, there are plenty of hotels nearby and places to party post game.

Cheers!!!

Old Post 07-30-18 08:31PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

you know what's great about the website? teams are being announced and yet the offical website itself still has no team information

kind of funny

Old Post 08-08-18 08:28AM
Observer
Swing Artist

Omaha tickets now available

The Ralston Arena in Omaha is now selling all-session tickets for this event on their own website.

Old Post 09-04-18 07:15PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

need to sell Omaha ticket

I bought a single all-sessions ticket for the Omaha leg of the Curling World Cup when they went on sale three days ago. I've now just found out that the vacation dates I need to be able to use said tickets are not available to me this time, and I can't go after all.

So I now have a ticket to sell. If anyone here would like this seat, I'll sell it to you for 25% off the all-sessions face value price of $160, so $120.

It's in section 103, row B, seat 1.

It also includes a ticket for an arena earpiece, presumably so you can tune in to the TV commentary and the players' mics.

Anyone interested, please email me at smanfred at comcast.net

Old Post 09-07-18 01:32PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Just an FYI to Canadians, TSN will be broadcasting every Canadian game from Suzhou. They will most likely be using the WCTV feed.

Old Post 09-10-18 04:40PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I hope the curlers brought summer gear and are prepared for humidity. Sozhou is near Shanghai which can be very hot and humid this time of year. Weird place to have curling...

Old Post 09-11-18 11:22AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote