Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > The Pit > World teams leave Canada!!!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Talking World teams leave Canada!!!

Question: Will all the world teams now leave Canada and go play in Switzerland?

Now that it is clear that Canada is no longer the curling mecca of the world (at least according to a number of posters on this site) can we expect an exodus of the paid professional world teams to Switzerland? At least all the women's teams!

If they need help packing...give me a call

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-27-12 01:39PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Re: World teams leave Canada!!!

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
Question: Will all the world teams now leave Canada and go play in Switzerland?

Now that it is clear that Canada is no longer the curling mecca of the world (at least according to a number of posters on this site) can we expect an exodus of the paid professional world teams to Switzerland? At least all the women's teams!

If they need help packing...give me a call

The high level and availability of competition in Canada is still appealing to international teams.

Old Post 03-27-12 02:12PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Most important thing is that the prize money is in Canada and the sponsorship, so no curling is leaving unless the money does.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.115.217.222

Old Post 03-27-12 02:44PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deep_freeze
Hitting Paint

More important than that, there is pretty much a WCT event every weekend in Canada. That can not be said for anywhere else.

Old Post 03-27-12 05:00PM
deep_freeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deep_freeze Click here to Send deep_freeze a Private Message Find more posts by deep_freeze Add deep_freeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

who started this ridicules rumor? I don't see a exit of teams hurrying to play over in Europe, follow the "money trail" and it will point back to here Canada.... question why are there so many European rinks competing in the Capital One Grand Slam event? you can follow the scent of money too?especially the biggie coming next month here in Summerside ...

Old Post 03-27-12 07:22PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
who started this ridicules rumor? I don't see a exit of teams hurrying to play over in Europe, follow the "money trail" and it will point back to here Canada.... question why are there so many European rinks competing in the Capital One Grand Slam event? you can follow the scent of money too?especially the biggie coming next month here in Summerside ...

I took it as a tongue in cheek comment from Lolar or subtle sarcasm, not a rumour.

Old Post 03-27-12 07:28PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade

I took it as a tongue in cheek comment from Lolar or subtle sarcasm, not a rumour.

Having read Larry for a while, I took it as such as well, it's his dream to drive the foreign interlopers from our shores.

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Last edited by celtichound on 03-27-12 at 08:30PM

Old Post 03-27-12 07:53PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregW
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by celtichound

Having read Larry for a while, I took it as such as well, it's his dream to drive the foreign interlopers from our shores.

Only if they take the OCA and CCA with them.

Right Larry?

Old Post 03-28-12 10:03AM
GregW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregW Click here to Send GregW a Private Message Find more posts by GregW Add GregW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by GregW

Only if they take the OCA and CCA with them.

Right Larry?

The World is way to smart to do that! OCA and CCA is an "only in Canada you say" thing.

Tongue in cheek...I wouldn't do that...string people along.....man this is serious!!!
Look at what Canada would lose.....right....Canada would lose........give me a minute...I'll think of something!

As to the money...most of these World teams are paid curlers...paid expenses....they don't give a dammed about purses.

Considering the purses.....when you deduct expenses and divide by 5 (4 players and a coach) at best you win a dinner of Big Mac's and a Timmy's coffee!

Mind you we must thank the sponsors because with out them curlers wouldn't even be able to win expenses....Oh by the way...TALKING ABOUT MONEY....how many reps is CCA sending to the Sochi Olympics...at $2000 A DAY?

Last edited by lolar3288 on 03-28-12 at 06:27PM

Old Post 03-28-12 10:23AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

Lolar, why would the CCA send reps to the "SUMMER OLYMPICS" in London, if you are talking about the next Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, in 2014, it would make more sense.

Smell the coffee.

Old Post 03-28-12 04:15PM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Beermaker
Lolar, why would the CCA send reps to the "SUMMER OLYMPICS" in London, if you are talking about the next Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, in 2014, it would make more sense.

Smell the coffee.

YOUR RIGHT! SORRRRY..BRAIN SLIP....i MET SOCHI IN 2014!!

I just got off reviewing up my London trip in May (reviewing costs of hotels and was told the Olympic up charge if I went later).

Sochi certainly will not be cheaper...I was in Russia last spring!

I will correct the post!

Old Post 03-28-12 06:16PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Larry - whats your opinion of Warren Hanson? Good and/or bad?
[/QUOTE

Was he not the lad that did that fine job in Hamilton Ontario when it held the Brier........seem to remember his name ..in red I believe...

That was a great job in a backward place, no population to draw from (over 4 million) and surrounded by poor communities like the GTA and Golden Horseshoe....

Showed his real talent and ability...

Old Post 03-28-12 06:25PM