Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Team Hop Switz indeed deserved a better fate but you have to admire the canadians for playing a near perfect end. Yes, Heather had only a draw behind a centre line guard just over the hog-line but she made it perfectly and it end up on the front button, perfectly guarded by a 20 to 22 foot guard - but based on the length of the guard, Miri's shot was virtually wide open to a tap back with no more than back-line weight (even back 8ft weight would have sufficed)...

Her weight on that shot was somewhere between heavy hack and light-runner. A trained curler, especially a world veteran like Miri should have known better. Apparently, she didn't.

But the warning signs are there - the canadian girls were out-curled at all positions - with the Carmens tormenting Mair & Iskiw severely.

I wouldn't have called it a perfectly played end at all... Ott had an open hit for the win.

The long guard had to be in front of the short guard on Nedohin's first one, it wasn't, which should have blown the end. Her last draw was a little deep and overcurled as well. However, even if she had dropped it top four, Ott still had a fairly easy shot regardless.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-19-12 08:47AM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikey
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Beermaker
Am I the only one who wishes the girls would take their stopwatches and put them where the sun doesn't shine. I am so sick of hearing 14.3 no I got 14.9, what did you get?.

You are not the only one. I don't get the skip timing from hog to hog and then yelling the time to the sweepers as it comes into the house. How can the skip be that accurate from so far away when the sweepers are right over the rock? What bothers me more is on takeouts. They call a 9.5 and the skip says "ooh, 9.2. thats a little heavy"! Kelly Scott was the worst for this.

Old Post 03-19-12 09:15AM
mikey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mikey Click here to Send mikey a Private Message Find more posts by mikey Add mikey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

two things annoy me about this event:

1. The russians - why the line up switching?. After so long of playing musical line up it looked like they finally figured out thats why they were not getting good results. They brought in Ana to skip and during last years worlds and the europeans the line up stayed the same. They had their best appearance at a worlds in years and finally reached the podium again at the Europeans. So why are they reverting back to playing musical line up again here? it pisses me off more than it annoys me.

2. Mirjam ott - I dont get her at all. She played a beautiful draw to the button to win against China and against Canada she has a very simple shot to win and she blows it. I just do not get what the reasoning is there. After all these years is she still intimidated by the Canadians?

This will sound anti-Canadian and I dont mean to but I do not like that Canada won last night. I would much rather they do something to deserve it but they didn't. I want Canada to win as much as anyone else but I also enjoy the competition and if another team has a shot to win I would rather see them make it.It would be different if it was a level 5 difficulty but the kind of shot that Mirjam missed last night is the kind of shot I would rather see her make even if Canada loses.

Lets be honest here people Canada has been let off the hook multiple times in this event already. United states gave a steal when going for 3, China hit and rolled out when they had a chance for two and Switzerland gave them the win last night.This team is looking average at best and the middle end for Canada has been out curled by both the US and Swiss middle ends. At some point you would have to think that teams are going to stop letting these girls off the hook.

Old Post 03-19-12 09:19AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

She also had a chance to take out Cheryl in the semi finals at the Olympics too. She misses shots to win against Canada that she makes in her sleep to win against anyone else.It is weird

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

Old Post 03-19-12 09:34AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

I thought "team Canada" was lucky to get past the Scotties and so far the luck has continued...but at some point they better get curling! They could easily be 1 -2 right now.

What were all the giggles about on a couple of bad throws last night????

They just do not seem to be in the zone......just do not see that steelied eyed determination you see in winners....

Old Post 03-19-12 09:45AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
After the first five draws, allow me some observations:

1. Miri Ott is a good skip, her team looks technically solid and The Carmens have come to this event loaded for bear. Look for Lady Miri to be around at the end (Final 4)

2. Americans also look good on ice but miss far too many 'key' shots. They won't be around at the end.

3. Team Canada doesn't appear to have the inner confidence and calm we've been spoiled by from teams like Coco Jones, Jennifer Jones, Sandra Schmirler, even Kelly Scott. Nedohin is a mexican jumping bean out there. Iskiw is fairly cool, some of the precision the Albertans had at the Scotties appears to be dormant.

4. Robillard suffered her first loss. Looked like Lehman had a makeable tap back to win vs. the dreaded russians but she muffed it, allowing the Russkies to steal the night.

5. Could go either way on China - haven't decided whether they are Top 4 quality or Middle 4 quality - they are DEFINITELY NOT BOTTOM 4.

6. Russ appears puzzled by some of the ladies strategy. He's having difficulty getting into the minds of some of the euro-curlers with his explanations. Still interesting.

I dont know. Switzerland missed a golden opperunity last night and that 3-0 start would have given them a good cushion for still tough matches against Denmark, Russia, Sweden, Scotland and Germany, all of which they could lose.I don't expect them too but with Sweden and Germany up today they could be 2-3 and backs against the wall. It all depends how Mirjam rebounds from her miss last night. She is 0-3 against Sigrfidsson so that game this afternoon could be key. I say if she manages to defeat Sweden she'll finish playing in the 1 v.s 2 game. If she loses to Sweden she'll be lucky to make playoffs. The one thing that she has going is that Sweden looks very beatable and Switzerland has looked like the strongest team of anyone here so if form holds true she should win that.

Old Post 03-19-12 09:51AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Team Hop Switz indeed deserved a better fate but you have to admire the canadians for playing a near perfect end. Yes, Heather had only a draw behind a centre line guard just over the hog-line but she made it perfectly and it end up on the front button, perfectly guarded by a 20 to 22 foot guard - but based on the length of the guard, Miri's shot was virtually wide open to a tap back with no more than back-line weight (even back 8ft weight would have sufficed)...

Her weight on that shot was somewhere between heavy hack and light-runner. A trained curler, especially a world veteran like Miri should have known better. Apparently, she didn't.

But the warning signs are there - the canadian girls were out-curled at all positions - with the Carmens tormenting Mair & Iskiw severely.

I guess you watched a different end then everyone else. Nedohin`s rock was ``virually wide open`` because it was. It overcurled. Ott could have thrown peel and still won.

Old Post 03-19-12 10:05AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dackle
Hitting Paint

nedohin's shot was not perfectly placed. it was very accessible. Ott missed her very makeable shot for the gift.

I am finding the nedohin team difficult to cheer for with the giggling at misses, swearing repeatedly at misses, and relying on the stop watches. the next game will be watched on mute.

Old Post 03-19-12 11:01AM
Dackle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dackle Click here to Send Dackle a Private Message Find more posts by Dackle Add Dackle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

Good games last night. Nice win for Heather and she is the one who is playing great… no help at all with a setup, as 5 & 6 are basically throw-aways and Heather is left to save or score. MO missed one she would like to have back with her last rock, as most of the other skips in this event would have made it.

GER and RUS was overly defensive. GER throws real good and as good as any team in the event, but they have zero strat other than hope the opp makes a mistake and they win… almost happened for the third game in a row, as they had a decent chance for the win, just too heavy on the last rock draw.

Wow, China made the US look pretty ordinary, as they controlled the game from the onset. The second throws peel wt that would make any skipper happy and I think one of her rocks is still heading towards Medicine Hat. US skip can draw but other than that, the team is hurtin.

DEN put a scare into SCO, as they controlled the game after the 1st end, but then made a super blunder in 9 to give up 4… not sure what they were thinking, but I guess after the previous ends went so good, they thought gambling in 9 was the smart thing to do… WRONG.

Old Post 03-19-12 11:03AM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Dackle
nedohin's shot was not perfectly placed. it was very accessible. Ott missed her very makeable shot for the gift.

I am finding the nedohin team difficult to cheer for with the giggling at misses, swearing repeatedly at misses, and relying on the stop watches. the next game will be watched on mute.

The last shot was very makeable and every other skip in this one would have made it... so that sort of scares me about the Swiss team. They are very solid up front and the third is playing great... MO is questionable and even her takeouts in the early ends were kind of scary to watch.

Yeah... CDN is a little hard to watch at times... but Heather is playing great and has carried over her good play from the Scotties... can't say the same for 2nd and 3rd as there is zero setup and every deuce is a skip's two, which might catch up to them down the road.

Old Post 03-19-12 11:22AM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
I thought "team Canada" was lucky to get past the Scotties and so far the luck has continued...but at some point they better get curling! They could easily be 1 -2 right now.

They just do not seem to be in the zone......just do not see that steelied eyed determination you see in winners....

You have to wonder if home ice really is an advantage. A few years ago Kelly Scott won the Worlds in Japan after having lost in Canada previously. She said at the time it was far easier curling in Japan as there were few distractions from fans and family and they could just focus on the game. Looks like Team Canada needs to give themselves a curfew and focus a bit harder. Heather can't keep carrying the team along.

Old Post 03-19-12 12:07PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

Germany-Sweden Live

It's small, ugly and filled with pop-up ads. Coverage started an hour after the game did, and (I believe) they're hosting it in Swedish. But here -- until some guy in Europe accidentally sits on his remote -- is the link to watch the game:

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/...-(curling).html

(Each time you watch on-line streaming that violates the DMCA, Darren Dutchyshen smothers a kitten.)

Old Post 03-19-12 12:16PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Morning draw, no Team Canada, empty stands. Changes up the ice completely, get ready to see some upsets.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 141.35.40.141

Old Post 03-19-12 12:24PM
Curling Dave
Swing Artist

quote:

These statements sure sound reminiscent to the Brier and Glen Howards first few games. I don't mind Team Canada looking ordinary in the early going as long as they continue to improve and peak at the end of the week.

Old Post 03-19-12 12:41PM
Curling Dave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling Dave Click here to Send Curling Dave a Private Message Visit Curling Dave's homepage! Find more posts by Curling Dave Add Curling Dave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:

Look how Norberg won her later Olympic Gold and Worlds: They giggled about their bad throws, they showed a lot doubt instead of determination, and they grabbed their luck by the throat and throttled it until it gave way.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 141.35.14.250

Old Post 03-19-12 12:58PM
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

interesting...

Koreans take out Scotland 7-2....
Danish skip is playing very well.

Old Post 03-19-12 01:39PM
wakwak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakwak Click here to Send wakwak a Private Message Find more posts by wakwak Add wakwak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

You have to wonder if home ice really is an advantage. A few years ago Kelly Scott won the Worlds in Japan after having lost in Canada previously. She said at the time it was far easier curling in Japan as there were few distractions from fans and family and they could just focus on the game. Looks like Team Canada needs to give themselves a curfew and focus a bit harder. Heather can't keep carrying the team along.

I think people tend to forget they hadn't been to the Scotties in five years of trying. They are a strong team but nowhere near as strong ( or experienced ) as some posters have been saying for a month now.

Those who posted that this team was somehow much stronger then the Jennifer Jones teams of past years were dreaming in technicolour. Jones results were only disappointing because we all knew they were very capable of winning several World titles.

That being said, they are capable of winning the event. I posted the same thing at the Scotties. I gave them a shot.
I give them a bigger shot now that's its obvious that Scotland may not be quite ready for primetime, and its obvious Sweden has huge strategy weaknesses.

I look at the total team lineup, and there are some very new people on the "strong" teams ( including Canada ). Nobody knows how these players will react at big events.

So while it is rather ironic I'm the one saying Canada's chances are increasing by the day here, I think its reality that many other team's are showing they have weaknesses. I'm liking Canada's chances to win the whole thing now. The main obstacle in my opinion is Muirhead, regardless of her win-loss record. You don't want to play her in a one game playoff.
Switzerland obviously is in the mix, I haven't seen them yet either.

How Scotland does from this point could be anything. Obviously, somebodies not playing well on that team ( no TV coverage so far on them ).

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-19-12 at 01:58PM

Old Post 03-19-12 01:47PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Yeah, Korea is a bad matchup for Scotland. They play extremely aggressive and when they are on their game, you need to play rather defensively. Muirhead is used to go with the opponents aggression and bail out with big heavy shots if necessary. Being a little bit off against a 90% curling Koreans (which they do from time to time) is suicide.

However, I still think that Korea might be the best option for the US to get a win here.

Old Post 03-19-12 01:47PM
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Korea

Korea really is a surprise early on. However if you listen to that skip she is VERY determined and very focused and someone like her with goals set is going to be very dangerous. She wants a medal and if she keeps this up she might actually get one at the end of the week. Korea right now is pulling what China did in 2008/2009. No one saw them coming and if teams are not careful Korea will do to them what they did to Scotland.

Russia is the dissapointment. Although with them switching the line up around again I am not toally surprised. They also never seem to do well in Canada so ..

Old Post 03-19-12 02:01PM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

I think people tend to forget they hadn't been to the Scotties in five years of trying. They are a strong team but nowhere near as strong ( or experienced ) as some posters have been saying for a month now.

Those who posted that this team was somehow much stronger then the Jennifer Jones teams of past years were dreaming in technicolour. Jones results were only disappointing because we all knew they were very capable of winning several World titles.

That being said, they are capable of winning the event. I posted the same thing at the Scotties. I gave them a shot.
I give them a bigger shot now that's its obvious that Scotland may not be quite ready for primetime, and its obvious Sweden has huge strategy weaknesses.

I look at the total team lineup, and there are some very new people on the "strong" teams ( including Canada ). Nobody knows how these players will react at big events.

So while it is rather ironic I'm the one saying Canada's chances are increasing by the day here, I think its reality that many other team's are showing they have weaknesses. I'm liking Canada's chances to win the whole thing now. The main obstacle in my opinion is Muirhead, regardless of her win-loss record. You don't want to play her in a one game playoff.
Switzerland obviously is in the mix, I haven't seen them yet either.

How Scotland does from this point could be anything. Obviously, somebodies not playing well on that team ( no TV coverage so far on them ).

you didn't see the game last night? Switzerland looked very good. They heavily out played Canada in the back half and had the win in their pocket but Mirjam played a terrible final rock when she basically had a wide open hit for the win and gave Canada the steal.

Switzerland looks good and should be there at the end. They have been vulnerable to hot teams in the past but I don't think that will be a problem this year

Old Post 03-19-12 02:10PM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Korea

quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie svy
Korea really is a surprise early on. However if you listen to that skip she is VERY determined and very focused and someone like her with goals set is going to be very dangerous. She wants a medal and if she keeps this up she might actually get one at the end of the week. Korea right now is pulling what China did in 2008/2009. No one saw them coming and if teams are not careful Korea will do to them what they did to Scotland.

Am pumped for Korea (I work virtually in Korea) and have many friends there. Nobody (not an exaggeration) knows these women are lopping off the heavies. Interested to learn that Kim JiSun is married to a Chinese curler. You can bet this team is looking to qualifying for Sochi and medalling in PeyongChang. They seem to be on track - Swe THUMP. Sco THUMP. Can they keep it up?

@Gerry - can you put up their flag? When I share links to your standings with my workmates, it embarrasses me that their flag is not displayed on the CZ standings board.

Old Post 03-19-12 02:16PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Yeah, Korea is a bad matchup for Scotland. They play extremely aggressive and when they are on their game, you need to play rather defensively. Muirhead is used to go with the opponents aggression and bail out with big heavy shots if necessary. Being a little bit off against a 90% curling Koreans (which they do from time to time) is suicide.

However, I still think that Korea might be the best option for the US to get a win here.

Yeah, KOR is way too aggressive to play wide open against until you see how their team is shooting and Eve should have felt her out first. Looks like the KOR team finally started playing good, which is not good for the oppenents, as the skipper was already shooting great. Allison is going to have to outshoot the Korean skip and that isn't going to be easy.

SWE is one of the most aggressive team out there and GER found that out this morn. The overly defensive GER strategy doesn't match up good unless you make everything and usually you're going to miss something along the way. The SWE's look a little disorganized with their weird lineup of the skipper shooting lead... but they sure go aggressive, which takes some of the teams off guard. Maybe that's because the skip isn't throwing last rock so she can keep all rocks in play.

Not sure what is going on in Russia... as they are good shooters, but like one poster mentioned... maybe the constant lineup switches isn't working for them.

Old Post 03-19-12 02:22PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

As far as I've heard, Russia's lineup has been consistent since early November. Just switching the alternate in at 2nd from time to time. They're a very skilled team, just need to learn the strategy of the game a little better.

Up until this event you are right, that's why I praised them for finally keeping things steady

however this event they have only played with the same line up twice and I would bet that tonight they will again have a different line up.

first game:

Sidorova
Privivkova
Ezekh
Galkina

Second game:

Sidorova
Privivkova
Fomina
Galkina

Third and fourth game:

Sidorova
Fomina
Privivkova
Galkina

Old Post 03-19-12 03:58PM
Unregistered

Decision time for Czech: Try to go for 6 or be content with the 3 ...

Old Post 03-19-12 04:33PM
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

WOW

Czech slap Canada with a 5

Nice to see someone finally take their chances and make the shot against Canada

Old Post 03-19-12 04:36PM