Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Unregistered

Why did Scotland high five after that loss???

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 64.231.36.41

Old Post 03-19-12 11:06PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

europeans like doing that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-19-12 11:19PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Amy Nixon is shooting well since coming in.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.130.86.231

Old Post 03-19-12 11:24PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Amy Nixon is shooting well since coming in.

who left the lineup?

Old Post 03-19-12 11:34PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Jessica Mair, hopefully she gets better soon.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.130.86.231

Old Post 03-19-12 11:41PM
Unregistered

This curling is such a joke! My head hurts from watching all this unfold. Pathetic and horrible are the only words that come to mind! Unreal!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.87.85.200

Old Post 03-19-12 11:49PM
China Supporter
Drawmaster

This is worse than Swift Current

7 to 5 again, tied for last with the US...

I did not see this coming whatsoever...

Old Post 03-20-12 12:02AM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
After the first five draws, allow me some observations:

1. Miri Ott is a good skip, her team looks technically solid and The Carmens have come to this event loaded for bear. Look for Lady Miri to be around at the end (Final 4)

2. Americans also look good on ice but miss far too many 'key' shots. They won't be around at the end.

3. Team Canada doesn't appear to have the inner confidence and calm we've been spoiled by from teams like Coco Jones, Jennifer Jones, Sandra Schmirler, even Kelly Scott. Nedohin is a mexican jumping bean out there. Iskiw is fairly cool, some of the precision the Albertans had at the Scotties appears to be dormant.

4. Robillard suffered her first loss. Looked like Lehman had a makeable tap back to win vs. the dreaded russians but she muffed it, allowing the Russkies to steal the night.

5. Could go either way on China - haven't decided whether they are Top 4 quality or Middle 4 quality - they are DEFINITELY NOT BOTTOM 4.

6. Russ appears puzzled by some of the ladies strategy. He's having difficulty getting into the minds of some of the euro-curlers with his explanations. Still interesting.

China is clearly bottom 4 quality. Worst prepared team at the event, the coach didn't earn his money.

Old Post 03-20-12 12:30AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Re: This is worse than Swift Current

quote:
Originally posted by China Supporter
7 to 5 again, tied for last with the US...

I did not see this coming whatsoever...

Surprised, really? They have no 3rd, Wang is skipping nonsense, and there are no longer push-over teams like Norway or Japan in the field. How can they expect to win more than a few fluke games based on their level of play this season?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 141.35.40.137

Old Post 03-20-12 12:32AM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

Most annoying thing about the event is the obvious overscoring of shots. Its getting absurd. We'd better appreciate the REAL 90% games if the 70% games were scored that way.

On a brighter note, Denmark has kind of slipped under the radar pre-event. Those wishing to cheer on a Cinderella team to win it all their it.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-20-12 at 12:46AM

Old Post 03-20-12 12:43AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

Re: Re: This is worse than Swift Current

quote:

Surprised, really? They have no 3rd, Wang is skipping nonsense, and there are no longer push-over teams like Norway or Japan in the field. How can they expect to win more than a few fluke games based on their level of play this season?

I don't blame Wang, when she throws she not only has to throw well, she often has to call line and occasionally call weight as well. By necessity, the rest of the team rarely knows where the rocks are headed. How many times does she have to stick her arm out to tell the third the rock is wide of target and please stop calling sweeping ?

Its a train wreck and the coaching has to shoulder a good part of the blame. The fact that this is a pro team with ( I'm guessing ) a paid coach makes these kind of problems inexcusable.

Old Post 03-20-12 12:56AM
kyoh
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender
Most annoying thing about the event is the obvious overscoring of shots. Its getting absurd. We'd better appreciate the REAL 90% games if the 70% games were scored that way.

On a brighter note, Denmark has kind of slipped under the radar pre-event. Those wishing to cheer on a Cinderella team to win it all their it.

Denmark is hardly a cinderella story, they're a good team, just need that little something to make them better, especially when it comes to the playoffs. Wouldn't be surprised if they qualified again this year.

I think Korea is the cinderella story, or closest to it? They kind of remind me of China back in 2008.

Old Post 03-20-12 01:02AM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

ML, based in your opinion, then I like mexico's chances of winning it all! Oh, I forgot though... You already crowned Scotland!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.28.245.119

Old Post 03-20-12 01:20AM
Unregistered

This is worse than Swift Current

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

I don't blame Wang, when she throws she not only has to throw well, she often has to call line and occasionally call weight as well. By necessity, the rest of the team rarely knows where the rocks are headed. How many times does she have to stick her arm out to tell the third the rock is wide of target and please stop calling sweeping ?

I don't blame her too much for being wrong more often than not on the line-calls for her own stones. That is exusable if you are used to have a good vice in the house. I blame her for making the wrong calls in the first place too often. For example, I didn't understand what they tried in the last end against Russia with Wang's first. Yes, Sidorova missed her first, but that definitely wasn't Wang's achievement.

My point is not that Wang is a useless skip now suddenly in this tournament. She had the same kind of troubles basically ever since Liu Yin left and the only glimpse of hope was the Continental Cup, where they somehow managed to get away with it.

Wang is not Andrea Schoepp or Amber Holland who thrive with all the pressure on them and only them. I always felt that she needs a co-skip to rely on and she plays and skips best when she has that kind of moral and tactical backup.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 141.35.14.250

Old Post 03-20-12 04:04AM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

The chinese - under the tutelage of a coaching non-entity from Manitoba named Lorne Hamblin don't seem to be following any particular model, other than a losing model. They're not rotating players in and out of the lineup like the Russians do. Arguable, their best player "SUSAN", sits in curling purgatory, waiting for opportunity. Even the Canadian team which normally reserves in-game player insertions just to qualify all players for trophies inserted fifth player Amy Nixon at second when Jessica Mair felt she could no longer continue. (And Nixon immediately went hero for her squad and almost pulled them thru - FROM THE SECOND POSITION, CURLING NEAR PERFECTION for her six ends)

Amy DID NOT play 6 ends. Try to get your posts correct.

Old Post 03-20-12 08:43AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Gee , how have the men managed to win briers, world championships and olympic medals without a stop watch. Is there any men's team in the top ten ranking that still uses a stop watch.

Actually most of the men's front ends have stop watch..they just don't yell the times...they yell the finish position....never seen the long time used to this extent before though.

Anyone who doesn't use every aid they can get is just letting their ego override common sense. It's like moving the broom 1/2 inch.....no one hits a broom that accurately...and I can prove it with a laser sight!

Old Post 03-20-12 08:43AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:

The chinese - under the tutelage of a coaching non-entity from Manitoba named Lorne Hamblin don't seem to be following any particular model, other than a losing model. They're not rotating players in and out of the lineup like the Russians do. Arguable, their best player "SUSAN", sits in curling purgatory, waiting for opportunity. Even the Canadian team which normally reserves in-game player insertions just to qualify all players for trophies inserted fifth player Amy Nixon at second when Jessica Mair felt she could no longer continue. (And Nixon immediately went hero for her squad and almost pulled them thru - FROM THE SECOND POSITION, CURLING NEAR PERFECTION for her six ends)

I might not love line up switching but I think it is time to bring in Quingshang Yue. Aside from Betty she is the best player on that team, I have always thought that way.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

Old Post 03-20-12 10:33AM
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288

Actually most of the men's front ends have stop watch..they just don't yell the times...they yell the finish position....never seen the long time used to this extent before though.

Anyone who doesn't use every aid they can get is just letting their ego override common sense. It's like moving the broom 1/2 inch.....no one hits a broom that accurately...and I can prove it with a laser sight!

Larry.... None of the men's teams use a stop watch.

We had Kevin Martin's squad at our club for a meet and greet back in the fall, the stopwatch question came up. Marc Kennedy said that they own stopwatches, but they rarely use them. They are there for when they're playing on poor quality club ice, where there's a major difference in draw speed from one path to another.

Any other Men's team that plays at a high level usually follows this method as well.

If you doubt this... look at any photo of any high level men's team at any major event, and tell me if you see a stopwatch on any of them.

Stopwatches can be a useful tool if used properly, however they can be incredibly misleading as well. If you're playing on good quality ice, you're better off without them.

Old Post 03-20-12 10:44AM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288

The good men's front ends have watches to time opposition rocks but that is about all. They don't rely on it to any extent to determine final position estimate. Watch Kennedy & Hebert as an example. They yell the finish position at release point without timing. It is all eyes as their basis for judging. IMHO curlers relying on timing as the sole basis for judging are not going to be as accurate or consistent.

Old Post 03-20-12 10:53AM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/03/...n-training-camp

Nice comments in this article. Haha.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.73.70.4

Old Post 03-20-12 11:17AM
Unregistered

Have they mentioned why Jessica isnt playing this morning?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.59.93.118

Old Post 03-20-12 11:40AM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Re: This is worse than Swift Current

quote:

I might not love line up switching but I think it is time to bring in Quingshang Yue. Aside from Betty she is the best player on that team, I have always thought that way.

I actually disagree. She is a capable 2nd when she gets her act together, but not much more. She is no vice-skip, her throwing is too inconsistent.

Well, they rotated her in into 2nd position, benching Liu Jinli, the most consistent player so far. Interesting ...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 141.35.40.141

Old Post 03-20-12 11:51AM
curlingmad
Swing Artist

It hurt watching the games last night… well actually working them when your teams are taking it on the chin. There were some fantastic shots made and some of the best all week… but also a few not so great.

Heather started out a little too cocky and thought it was going to be a walk in the park… but quickly found out that the Danes were there to play. Now that is a very solid young team and they executed real good in the early part of the game. CDN seemed to pick it up when Amy came in and the crowd responded. Give credit to Amy as she made a couple of great shots for someone who hasn’t played… the come around draw in 10 was the one that set up the 2 for a tie. DEN might not make the playoffs but they are a definite threat, not to be taken lightly.

It hurt a lot watching SCO and US… I think Eve thought the US should play dead, as she wasn’t worried about an end until her shots… then when she had to make ones with a hi degree of difficulty, she didn’t and got behind big time. Funny how easy the game got for the US once they got up.

GER had a chance at the end, as they came back on the Swiss… but when you play with zero offensive strategy… you leave the final outcome down to one rock and often that isn’t good, as when the opp makes her final shot, you lose… again and again. Mirjam is a very wily skip and keeps her team in it with excellent strategy and she is very comfortable leaving the final outcome to her last rock… she made a very tricky shot to win.

Lots of rocks in play in the China/Russia game and although the percentages were very similar… the RUS skipper made a couple of good shots to have the edge. Bingyu had a pretty puzzled look on her face most of the time… and not sure she has the ice figured out yet.

Old Post 03-20-12 12:08PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Has anyone noticed how insanely high the %'s for all teams/players have been for the first 8 draws?

Doesn't add up at all.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.45.36.197

Old Post 03-20-12 12:18PM
Unregistered

quote:
Has anyone noticed how insanely high the %'s for all teams/players have been for the first 8 draws?

Doesn't add up at all.

I have been able to watch some of those games. Normally i would say the numbers are inflated and for some games they are. However in some cases they are accurate and some teams are that good.

In general I think for teams like Switzerland,Korea, Denmark and Canada the numbers have generally been acurate.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

Old Post 03-20-12 12:36PM