Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curlingmad
Swing Artist

I gotta be honest... I am a little afraid that CDN might come out flat in the tiebreaker. After watching that debacle yesterday, I am hoping they get back to norm and make the right shots... anybody can curl 90% when you're down 5... now they have to curl good when the game is on the line. You never like going up against a team that has won 7 straight, especially when you have lost 2 in a row... but I'm going to the rink with the hope the girls curl like they can.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-23-12 01:31PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Alison has played great, I just don't think she has the lineup to get much further in this. Yes, I know, 7 wins straight. That was great. But a lot of those wins were pressure free, against division "B" teams and teams who just got their playoff hopes crushed. Take her out of her game by complicating her shots. Make her throw some raises etc. Maybe she can do them too, but make her do it under playoff pressure.

I will disagree about the "playoff pressure". The last two games that the US won against Sweden and Denmark were essentially "playoff" games. Lose either one and they don't make the TB.

Old Post 03-23-12 01:31PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by celtichound

Hey CB, funny how different team dynamics work. Glenn Howards team all have input and it works like genius. Yet on Heathers team it seems to just confuse the issue (Russ and Linda commented on it). That being said, the real problem that put them in this spot was the absolute stinker they threw up against a thourghly underwhelming Italian team. I had put the game against Scotland in the maybe catagory. Not surprised they lost. That was a good old fashioned whuppin', that could've been worse. Now to face an on fire, confident American team, that I thought they were somewhat lucky to beat the first time. It goes without saying, (but I will anyways..you know..sports cliches ) that they need to right the ship, and bring their best game to the arena this afternoon.
Gotta split, need to meet my wife for my birthday lunch.
Ready to start plannin' that Ricoh Brier ?

True, but the Howard front end seem to pick their moments and I have seen Glenn send them away. But TC needs to focus on their shots and let Heather call the game!

YES time to start planning that Ricoh Brier.

I hope your wife enjoyed her birthday lunch and you didn't take her to McDonald's

Old Post 03-23-12 02:03PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I agree with JHCURL. Team Canada got close to the sun yesterday and they melted. The US team has been in a must win situation since Tuesday and has handled it like champions. I am pulling for Canada but I think this game has fiasco written all over it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.103.184.76

Old Post 03-23-12 02:05PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I agree with JHCURL. Team Canada got close to the sun yesterday and they melted. The US team has been in a must win situation since Tuesday and has handled it like champions. I am pulling for Canada but I think this game has fiasco written all over it.

Totally love your post... I'm cheering for CDN but also holding my breath.

Old Post 03-23-12 02:20PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

You have to wonder if the US would have beaten Sweden if Sweden had executed their normal game plan instead of playing so defensively. The same can be said for Denmark. If the danish team had executed better where would the US BE?...

??

If Sweden would have played better and scored more points than the U.S. in 10 ends, then they definitely would have won. I'm pretty sure the same conditions would apply to the game against Denmark.

So... to answer your question (although it seems painfully obvious); "where would the U.S. be?" ... If the above situation would have occurred, the U.S. would be at 5-6 and out of the tiebreaker.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.191.213.142

Old Post 03-23-12 02:21PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl

I will disagree about the "playoff pressure". The last two games that the US won against Sweden and Denmark were essentially "playoff" games. Lose either one and they don't make the TB.

Denmark clearly didn't show up. They were out of the playoffs and had no motivation.

Sweden was the one game that was truly a playoff game.
It appears to have been a fairly conservative affair.
So the message for Canada is clear to me, don't play that kind of game.

The US team at 0-4 and the one that went 7-0 are basically the same team playing the same way. They try for close games and hope that Alison can make her important shots to win. The quality of opponent and circumstances is part of that record.

I'm prepared to be proven wrong. Has Pottinger won a lot of cash events the last few years ? It may be fashionable now to pick the Americans / comeback team story but call me a contrarian this one looks like a Canada win based on team experience and style of play.

ps I'll be cheering for whomever gets out of the 3-4 game
regardless of who it is. The Cinderella Koreans, the
Canadians, or the Americans led by a transplanted Canadian
from Brampton.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-23-12 at 02:40PM

Old Post 03-23-12 02:28PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:

Denmark clearly didn't show up. They were out of the playoffs and had no motivation.

And clearly Italy, with their stellar 2-7 record, did come to play against Canada. You can't have it both ways. Why is it so hard to just say the U.S. has made a great run? Are they better than Canada? Probably not, but it really won't matter if they win, will it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.191.213.142

Old Post 03-23-12 03:10PM
Hooper
Swing Artist

Denmark had plenty of motivation. The loss put them in a tie with Germany. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that Germany gets the extra Olympic point since they beat Denmark head to head.

And a Denmark win would have put them in a three way tie with the US and Scotland. Depending on how things would have worked out in this 'what if' scenario, that's another two Olympic points up for grabs. So Denmark could have netted up to three more qualifying points by beating the US. That could make a huge difference next year, and may turn out to be the difference between straight-up qualifying or having to play in the remedial tournament.

I'm guessing as much as anybody else here, but I am inclined to think that Denmark is simply fatigued rather than demotivated.

Old Post 03-23-12 03:58PM
Hooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hooper Click here to Send Hooper a Private Message Find more posts by Hooper Add Hooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Hooper
Denmark had plenty of motivation. The loss put them in a tie with Germany. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that Germany gets the extra Olympic point since they beat Denmark head to head.

And a Denmark win would have put them in a three way tie with the US and Scotland. Depending on how things would have worked out in this 'what if' scenario, that's another two Olympic points up for grabs. So Denmark could have netted up to three more qualifying points by beating the US. That could make a huge difference next year, and may turn out to be the difference between straight-up qualifying or having to play in the remedial tournament.

I'm guessing as much as anybody else here, but I am inclined to think that Denmark is simply fatigued rather than demotivated.

why would denmark be fatigued? they traveled the least of all the top teams

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 03-23-12 04:17PM
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Fatigue can lead to demotivation.

Old Post 03-23-12 04:28PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

How do you spell gift? A-L-L-I-S-O-N!

Allison completely misses both of her last stones and Canada surges to an early 4-0 lead!!

Old Post 03-23-12 04:33PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
izeus

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

OK, now we're talking - - -

GL might be right up there after we take out her former PEI teammate, the exquisite Trish Affleck....Trish is easily best-looking for women over 35

I'll agree to GL for women under 27....

Others in the 35+ category - JJ, Sherri Singler, Kelley Law, Melanie Robillard, Crystal Webster.

In the sub-27
Eve Muirhead, Lene Neilson, KT Lawes, Erin Carmody, Sidorova.

GL and the Italian third are in a class by themselves. The Azzurri girl is a world class beauty.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.71.162.245

Old Post 03-23-12 05:13PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler
How do you spell gift? A-L-L-I-S-O-N!

Allison completely misses both of her last stones and Canada surges to an early 4-0 lead!!

But Lethbridge fans very ignorant in cheering another teams misses. Not usually done in curling.

Old Post 03-23-12 06:03PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Looks like Canada has this

Old Post 03-23-12 06:16PM
Unregistered

This crowd is so classless at times. Yelling and chanting when the other team is preparing to make their shot. Have some class

Old Post 03-23-12 06:21PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:

Get the US in an aggressive game and both back end players can be beat. I think the US is going to try to keep things simple and hope to get some misses from Jessica.

I predict Canada scores a 3+ somewhere and carries that advantage to a win. If the game becomes a low scoring dull affair, Canada's out.

BINGO !!!

Notice how out of her element Alison is calling ice and shots trying to manufacture points. She's fine on relatively open draws and hits, but the finesse game is not something the Americans are familiar with.

Jessica looking better today, although Iskiw is not that sharp.

Americans should be proud of their week. Something to build on, Alison is a strong thrower; she just needs more skipping experience.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-23-12 at 06:40PM

Old Post 03-23-12 06:25PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Still hanging in there. One down, three to go....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 204.112.219.5

Old Post 03-23-12 06:43PM
celtichound
Swing Artist

Nicely done .

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-23-12 06:45PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Beth Iskiw (My new favourite non-Manitoba Curler) is finally starting to torment the crap outta the american third!!

Good stuff, Dolly Dagger!!!

Are you for real ? Iskiw was the weakest player on Team Canada today. What game are you watching ? This is what I meant by your absurd theories, even in games where a player is struggling somewhat you think they are "hall of fame".

Your fake story about Iskiw "tormenting" the American third is some of the biggest bs you've ever posted on this site. The good news is Iskiw is the most likely player to rebound for the next game. The rest of them played great, so they have a serious shot now.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-23-12 at 07:03PM

Old Post 03-23-12 06:54PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:

Maybe if they had a few days to think about it they'd have been motivated. But if you had serious medal potential, beat Canada, and have a history of close calls but never winning anything, it had to hurt when they got eliminated. Especially in the manner it occurred.

I saw a lot of talent on that team but they seemed to lack killer instinct, even when they beat Canada. Its like they don't believe. If they can conquer that they could be a force.

Old Post 03-23-12 07:02PM
Unregistered

quote:

WOW - you are one angry unit, sir! Take a peek at the percentages and you'll see all the canadians were in the 90s
Peters was the weakest canuck, she was only 92%
Beth was next 'weakest' - only 93%
Mair bolted up to - 95%
H-Ned - only 96%

For the first few ends Joraansted and Iskiw went toe to toe and their percentages were close - in the end Iskiw outcurled the american 3rd by 7 points to win the battle.

Of course, Nedohin's 96% was a spectacular game, dwarfing pottinger's 80%

Pottinger's decision to curl around a tight 8 ft guard and try to steal one vs. bumping out Heather's shot and lying 3 in the 8th was something off the STUPID TREE - force heather to draw to the four vs. 3 vs. giving her the easy trois. That, my friends was the turning point!

all this proves is that percentages mean nothing. All you had to do was watch the game and you'd know that beth was definately not curling 93%

Old Post 03-23-12 07:05PM
tubby
Swing Artist

How do you shoot 93 per cent and give up 8 points? Must be some kind of record.

Old Post 03-23-12 07:32PM
tubby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tubby Click here to Send tubby a Private Message Find more posts by tubby Add tubby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hooper
Swing Artist

quote:

Maybe if they had a few days to think about it they'd have been motivated. But if you had serious medal potential, beat Canada, and have a history of close calls but never winning anything, it had to hurt when they got eliminated. Especially in the manner it occurred.

I saw a lot of talent on that team but they seemed to lack killer instinct, even when they beat Canada. Its like they don't believe. If they can conquer that they could be a force.

You could certainly be right. I can simply see reasons that they should have been motivated, but I obviously can't tell what was going on in their heads.

Old Post 03-23-12 07:35PM
Hooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hooper Click here to Send Hooper a Private Message Find more posts by Hooper Add Hooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:

Pottinger's decision to curl around a tight 8 ft guard and try to steal one vs. bumping out Heather's shot and lying 3 in the 8th was something off the STUPID TREE - force heather to draw to the four vs. 3 vs. giving her the easy trois. That, my friends was the turning point!

For once you are right... that shot Allison tried on her last in 8 was the biggest... and I mean the dumbest call I've ever seen, heard, witnessed, dreamed, thought or ever imagined someone could try. There was almost no way you were going to score with the shot she tried and you definitely left the opp the easiest last rock she could have had.

I often don't put a lot of credence in strategy as I've seen so many bad teams win with poor strat... but in this case, I wanted to shout out to Allison when she went down to throw...

HIT THE F*** TOP EIGHT ROCK AND MAKE HEATHER THROW AGAINST 3!!!

and I was cheering for CDN but I couldn't stand to see someone make such a bad call.

Old Post 03-23-12 07:37PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote