Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Unregistered

I do recall TSN is a canadian network.
You are saying you would rather see Russia vs Czech Rep. instead of canada?
Who would buy commercial time for that game? Not me, and certainly nt ford.
i can't understand you folks. we get all of the canada games.
Guess people only jump on the band wagon on the weekend.
oh well, go team canada..I am behind you!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.250.16.75

Old Post 03-21-12 02:03AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Does anyone else find it funny that all of the games Canada has lost and the one it should have lost has been played at night?
does that have to do with the teams they played or do they really not like playing at night

Last edited by misty1 on 03-21-12 at 07:59AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-21-12 07:50AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Does anyone else find it funny that all of the games Canada has lost and the one it should have lost has been played at night?

Canada seemed to do ok the first two nights.

Does anyone find it funny that teams playing their third game in under 24 hours are currently 7-1? (Sweden commented after their first back-to-back games the challenge in the short turn-around time.)

Old Post 03-21-12 08:20AM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nelski

First step - qualify. Then regroup and keep doin' what you're doin'. Some solid planning has gone into this. Who is the mastermind!? WTG Team.
[/QUOTE

I agree- great prep this year bringing them to Canada early on for tutelage.

Old Post 03-21-12 09:05AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

The Koreans are not mechanized automatons. They've adapted to Canadian style joy and emotion - witness their big win over Sweden. However, they are well-trained and seem to have good strategy. Nedohin seems to be an emotional basket-case at times even though her shot-making skills are very high - higher than I thought they would be!

And watch out for the AMericans. After playing dead for the first couple days, they're on a roll. Maybe we wrote them out of the playoff script a bit too early???

The Americans and every team with 4 losses really still needs a lot of help. They need either Korea to lose 3 of their last 4 games..which probably will not happen and they need one of Canada, Sweden or Switzerland to go 2-2 in their next 4 games. Not really impossible however the top 4 teams with the exception of Korea have all played each other already so it comes down to the other teams making things happen for themselves.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

Old Post 03-21-12 09:34AM
Unregistered

Schedules of the top 4:

Switzerland - Italy, Denmark, Korea, Russia

Sweden - China, Scotland, United states, Denmark

Canada - Korea, Germany, Italy, Scotland

Korea - Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Russia

If there is a way in for the 4 loss teams Sweden is probably the best shot as they have, on paper anyway the hardest finish.

I think Switzerland should get through that with just the one loss.

Canada could lose two of those games but if they get past Korea they will be fine.

Korea should be able to go 2-2 at the worst with the schedule they have left. Unless they have a melt down I don't think they will hit four losses

Old Post 03-21-12 09:42AM
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

At this point five losses looks out. Those teams would need a ton of help to get back in. China will have some serious thinking to do after this event. They are so much more inconsistent then they used to be even just a couple years ago

Old Post 03-21-12 09:54AM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

Didn't see last nights game against Sweden, but noticed that the Swedes put a pair of threes on the board. Was it poor play/strategy on Canadas part, or just great play by Sweden. Heather would have us believe that the game against Korea is "just another game" no more important than any other, see Al Cameron article on the CZ home page. It goes without saying (but I will anyways ), given the way the Koreans have played, Canada is going to have to play a lot bettter than they have so far.

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Last edited by celtichound on 03-21-12 at 10:12AM

Old Post 03-21-12 10:08AM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nelski
Go Korea First step - qualify. Some solid planning has gone into this. . [/QUOTE

I agree- great prep this year bringing them to Canada early on for tutelage.

I noticed as least two invitational events in Asia this year where a couple of European teams and North American teams went east for an event. I saw that the Danes took the opportunity, that's what caught my attention. And there were multiple teams from China, Japan, Korea. So not all training happened here. Times are changing.

Old Post 03-21-12 10:11AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by celtichound
Didn't see last nights game against Sweden, but noticed that the Swedes put a pair of threes on the board. Was it poor play/strategy on Canadas part, or just great play by Sweden. Heather would have us believe that the game against Korea is "just another game" no more important than any other, see Al Cameron article here: http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2012...-it-kind-of-is/

Given the way the Koreans have played, Canada is going to have to play a lot bettter than they have so far.

The first three was a product of two amazing shots by the Swedish last rock thrower Maria Prytz. If you can you should watch the third end on demand. The two shots she made through a port were very nice, especially the second one for three.

The second three was a bit of bad luck for Canada. Maria made a fantastic run back with her first to leave Sweden sitting two. Heather tried a run back of her own but it turned out the worst possible way for her. She made contact with both Swedish counters but not enough to push either one out completely and then the rock she ran back rolled right into the hole and Sweden was able to hit for a second three.

Old Post 03-21-12 10:13AM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie svy

The first three was a product of two amazing shots by the Swedish last rock thrower Maria Prytz. If you can you should watch the third end on demand. The two shots she made through a port were very nice, especially the second one for three.

The second three was a bit of bad luck for Canada. Maria made a fantastic run back with her first to leave Sweden sitting two. Heather tried a run back of her own but it turned out the worst possible way for her. She made contact with both Swedish counters but not enough to push either one out completely and then the rock she ran back rolled right into the hole and Sweden was able to hit for a second three.

Thanks

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.

Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-21-12 10:33AM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by celtichound
Didn't see last nights game against Sweden, but noticed that the Swedes put a pair of threes on the board. Was it poor play/strategy on Canadas part, or just great play by Sweden. Heather would have us believe that the game against Korea is "just another game" no more important than any other, see Al Cameron article on the CZ home page. It goes without saying (but I will anyways ), given the way the Koreans have played, Canada is going to have to play a lot bettter than they have so far.

Sweden is one, if not the most offensive team in this thing. When they have hammer, they completely ignore the opp rocks and go for it, which is nice to see. Like I was saying before… they may not look like the best team, but they’re playing the best, along with Korea right now.

The two 3-enders were nice but they were made a lot easier by Heather’s less than stellar strategy. The first 3, Heather left herself two freezes to get out of the end… and she is, at the most, one foot heavy on both freezes and the SWE skipper makes two real good shots to score three.

The second three would never have been a 3 if Heather doesn’t completely ignore the danger of giving up a big end without hammer… she ignores the SWE shot rock on the wing, which if she freezes, the most she’s giving up is a deuce. She draws around a centre guard and the SWE skip makes a 9-foot runback perfect to sit two. Yeah, Heather’s last rock runback didn’t go good, in fact turned out real bad, but it should never have got to that if she considers the possibility of the opponent actually making their shot.

The difference maker in the game was at third… as the SWE third clearly was the better player when it counted. At the 5th-end break, Beth was barely at 50, and by then the score was already 6-3. Then again, if Heather makes a supposed simple hit and stay for one in the 8th to keep the game within reach, the outcome might have been diff.

Old Post 03-21-12 10:53AM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

exactly how old is the korean third? because she looks about 16

Old Post 03-21-12 11:15AM
Unregistered

Well by eve's own admission up until the game against Switzerland she was having a lot of trouble figuring out the stones

and Yikes, Sweden just slapped China with a five in the first end

Old Post 03-21-12 11:22AM
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Like many Canadian thirds do in international competition, Beth Iskiw made the wrong sweep call on Heather's attempted raise back and the result was a three for Sweden (great shots by the flame-thrower Pyrtz to do it)

I can't totally blame Iskiw as I've seen other canadian thirds like Kaitlynn Lawes, Cathy O and Jeanna Schraeder goof up badly on the tee. Its a hard job, to be sure!

Shoulda… woulda… coulda. I don’t necessarily blame the 3rd, as it is usually the skip that makes the situ critical. When the 3rd makes the bad call with the game on the line, then the 3rd looks bad, but the good skips don’t leave the game to chance, they make the critical calls and make the game easier for their trusty third. Beth didn’t call the line perfect and the rock overcurled… but she also didn’t know the exact wt that Heather threw and the curl had to be judged to the ¼ inch for the shot to be made.

I find that skips who make the game really tough for their third all of the time, usually don’t win in the end. The skip is throwing last rock for a reason… to make the tough shots and real finesse shots. Yeah, a good third will set up the skip and have to make some tough shots… but not too many and not real game savers or game winners. It’s a bonus when the 3rd wins you the game.

Watch the Swiss… Ott doesn’t leave the game in anyone else’s hands, as she sets it up entirely for herself to win or lose. Yeah, sometimes she loses, but you won’t be saying the third cost them the game, it will Mirjam herself.

Old Post 03-21-12 11:38AM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Saying the Korean third looked 16 was generous, she looks around 12

Old Post 03-21-12 11:43AM
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:
Like many Canadian thirds do in international competition, Beth Iskiw made the wrong sweep call on Heather's attempted raise back and the result was a three for Sweden (great shots by the flame-thrower Pyrtz to do it)

I can't totally blame Iskiw as I've seen other canadian thirds like Kaitlynn Lawes, Cathy O and Jeanna Schraeder goof up badly on the tee. Its a hard job, to be sure!

Truth be told, while they've won games, you get the sense they're just riding on that thin edge close to losing.

Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-21-12 11:54AM
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

Korea is very VERY impressive so far. This is looking eerily like last night against Sweden.

It's still early in the game but Canada just doesn't seem to have it together. They just don't manage the house well enough (to generate BIG ends themselves or prevent big ends) and/or lack precision in general. I hope they figure things out fast as playoffs are looming. If they continue playing this frantic, scrappy and mentally tiring style of play, I don't see them even medaling despite making the play offs. But then again, stranger things have happened...won't write them off quite yet.

Old Post 03-21-12 12:02PM
wakwak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakwak Click here to Send wakwak a Private Message Find more posts by wakwak Add wakwak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I haven't seen any postings from our China expert - China Supporter. He/She always has a good understanding of what is going on.

CS - what is happening with Betty and the gang

Old Post 03-21-12 12:04PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

and sweden gives a steal of 2

5-4 after 4

awful strategy. I dont care how offensive you are play some hits!

Old Post 03-21-12 12:13PM
Unregistered

Is it just me, or is Canada giving up an inordinate number of 3+ enders the last few matches?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.25.39.22

Old Post 03-21-12 12:33PM
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I haven't seen any postings from our China expert - China Supporter. He/She always has a good understanding of what is going on.

CS - what is happening with Betty and the gang

The game last night hurt a lot and you could see the pain on Bingyu's face after she came up about a foot short on her last draw. She seems to be struggling with confidence and that happens on certain ice... they're close but just need a right call or great shot to put them over the top. They did play well last night but Korea just didn't cave-in and made almost everything.

Old Post 03-21-12 12:43PM
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Is it just me, or is Canada giving up an inordinate number of 3+ enders the last few matches?

Yup! Being bitten when they try to put rocks in play. Just lacking precision but... the other teams have been playing well.

Canada now has a small lead on Korea, but I wonder if Korea will come back like they've done so many times now against other teams.

Old Post 03-21-12 12:52PM
wakwak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakwak Click here to Send wakwak a Private Message Find more posts by wakwak Add wakwak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Well after an insane start to the game between Sweden and China things have calmed down

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 03-21-12 01:49PM
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Huge wins for Sweden and Switzerland to keep some seperation from the pack.

Massive disappointment for China I am sure. This is really going to hurt China's olympic qualification chances.

Old Post 03-21-12 01:59PM