Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
If anyone had any doubts about GER i think those have been put to rest. They're for real. Don't forget they won this thing a couple years ago,Andrea getting hurt might see the emergence of a new young powerhouse. How does Eve feel, she's a pro curler, does nothing else and loses to a girl who hadn't thrown in a month and got called in days before event.

Call me crazy, but I still have doubts about Germany. Way too early to establish much important to one game. I've never seen them play, so I am prepared to be surprised, but not expecting it.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-18-12 at 03:46PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-12 03:34PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Call me crazy, but I still have doubts about Germany. Way too early to establish much important to one game. I've never seen them play, so I am prepared to be surprised, but not expecting it.

Remember, Nova Scotia was 3-0 in the Brier with three easy wins.

That is true but Nova Scotia was unexperienced at that level and that no doubt cauught up witht hem. Also look at who they played in those first three games.

It would be different if Germany had beaten Korea and Italy, two teams everyone expects them to beat. But this is Denmark, one team with great possibility of being there at the end of the weak and Scotland, the favorite of many for the title.

There is still a long way to go but this is a great way to start.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 03-18-12 03:37PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

sorry that should be week not weak

Old Post 03-18-12 03:38PM
Unregistered

Exactly. Well said. You're comparing apples and tomatoes. NS at the brier was weak, they just played 3 very weak teams early on, beating SCO who is a favorite to win is a great start. Agains it's just a start but if they'd be 0-2 nobody would be surprised, 2-0 is a surprise and if they can beat the russians tonight I would put them in the playoff hunt for sure. You can't discount the fact that all players except one have their names on the trophy, that should mean something IMO.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.87.85.200

Old Post 03-18-12 03:49PM
Unregistered

quote:

That is true but Nova Scotia was unexperienced at that level and that no doubt cauught up witht hem. Also look at who they played in those first three games.

It would be different if Germany had beaten Korea and Italy, two teams everyone expects them to beat. But this is Denmark, one team with great possibility of being there at the end of the week and Scotland, the favorite of many for the title.

There is still a long way to go but this is a great way to start.

I have to totally agree with you. This team is not a flash in the pan. They have beaten one of the serious contender and one of the favorite back to back with a calm, cool and controlled way something that is usually reserved to veterans. In addition, their first half of the schedule is one of the toughest if you examine it carefully.

The team is not making fluke shot and Melanie is calling a very decent game with Imogen making the shots when it's needed.

If you look at the game percentage today, it is clear that they played at the level or above the Scots.

Wish them good luck tonight. It's been a while we have not been able to cheer for an undergog and witness a cinderella story:-)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 109.130.117.73

Old Post 03-18-12 03:55PM
Sean
Administrator

Wow, Heather just made an awesome tap for two on a corner frozen stone. I didn't think that shot was even feasible to get two!

Old Post 03-18-12 05:42PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

It wouldn't have been possible if China didn't oversweep their freeze. Hack, they overswept soo many stones ...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 95.91.32.105

Old Post 03-18-12 06:03PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Some really iffy, unconventional strategies deployed by Lady Bang Bang (China) tonite - btw, what happened to the lovely lady/personality curler who played third for Bingyu at the Continental Cup - I think her english name was Susan?

I believe she is their 5th now. This new third was their previous lead. Don't know what their Cdn coach was thinking with this bone-headed move, unless it was directed by the mother land powers.

Old Post 03-18-12 07:35PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
It wouldn't have been possible if China didn't oversweep their freeze. Hack, they overswept soo many stones ...

Their obviously not as strong a team anymore. The whole team lacks awareness of how to position rocks. The preperation for this team wasn't good.

USA also not nearly as good as one might hope. You have the front end yelling "7" on rocks drifting through the house ( re Canada game ).

I'm going to make an early call that both China and US are not playoff contendors.

From brief looks, Switzerland looks very poised, Sweden not as good as the reports. Haven't seen Scotland yet. We need to see these teams to get a better sense of the real gold medal threats.

Overall, looking better for Canada all the time. This field isn't nearly the powerhouse group that it might have been on paper.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-18-12 at 09:03PM

Old Post 03-18-12 07:41PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

I agree with you. Canada looks set for the playoffs however in my oppinion they havent been overly impressive themselves.

Switzerland is looking like they are in the same form that took them to a 9-2 finish and bronze medal in 2008. They are looking very strong

Germany is looking really good early. If they can keep this up and get through the first chunk of games with a positive record then they should make the playoffs

Last edited by valkyrie svy on 03-18-12 at 08:04PM

Old Post 03-18-12 08:00PM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
China Supporter
Drawmaster

Having horrible flashbacks of Swift Current

Another 7 to 5 loss...

What concerns me is the timing of the bad shots. Statisically they are playing average.

Yue Sun is playing horribly...

Jinli Liu has been a pleasant surprise...

Yan Zhou has surprised me playing a back end role after being pigeon holed for 8 years at lead.

Bingyu just can not get her game in gear. The hit and stick in 3 was played bad and her attempted blank in 7 just got my blood pressure to a boil.

Never thought in my lifetime that I would wish for Susan/Qingshaung's return but she maybe needed to steer this ship back on course.

I will give my props to Korea and their 2 and 1 start. Maybe we can get Ji-Sun Kim to play Vice for Bingyu. She's is married to Xiaoming Xu and could hold a dual-citizenship to the motherland. Hey if Imogen and Melanie can do it why not???

Old Post 03-18-12 08:12PM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Having horrible flashbacks of Swift Current

quote:
Originally posted by China Supporter
Another 7 to 5 loss...

What concerns me is the timing of the bad shots. Statisically they are playing average.

Yue Sun is playing horribly...

Jinli Liu has been a pleasant surprise...

Yan Zhou has surprised me playing a back end role after being pigeon holed for 8 years at lead.

Bingyu just can not get her game in gear. The hit and stick in 3 was played bad and her attempted blank in 7 just got my blood pressure to a boil.

Never thought in my lifetime that I would wish for Susan/Qingshaung's return but she maybe needed to steer this ship back on course.

I will give my props to Korea and their 2 and 1 start. Maybe we can get Ji-Sun Kim to play Vice for Bingyu. She's is married to Xiaoming Xu and could hold a dual-citizenship to the motherland. Hey if Imogen and Melanie can do it why not???

I think what is hurting China right now is exactly what hurt the Russians for so long. The line up shuffling and constant trying to form this"perfect team" The motherland just does not seem to get that there is no such thing as a perfect team

They need to stop screwing around with the line up and let one stay for a while. Let them get used to their new roles and let Yan Zhou get used to calling line. Its just not fair to expect these girls to perform well when they are constantly being shuffled around.

Old Post 03-18-12 08:16PM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Re: Re: Having horrible flashbacks of Swift Current

quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie svy

I think what is hurting China right now is exactly what hurt the Russians for so long. The line up shuffling and constant trying to form this"perfect team" The motherland just does not seem to get that there is no such thing as a perfect team

They need to stop screwing around with the line up and let one stay for a while. Let them get used to their new roles and let Yan Zhou get used to calling line. Its just not fair to expect these girls to perform well when they are constantly being shuffled around.

Got to think coaching has something to do with the line up shuffling. I think the skip has to take a bit more control of what happens on ice as well. Sometimes the technical best shot is not the best shot depending on how the skip feels.

I real wonder what would have happened if Canada....in the last end had decided to draw instead of pealing the guard? Would China have had to call another time out to reset.....I didn't watch the whole game but did see the last end.

I wondered why China didn't call a time out instead of rushing their last shot...where they out of time-outs?

On a side note...Canada better sharpen up or things could go very bad!!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.164.79.6

Old Post 03-18-12 08:54PM
Unregistered

quote:
Lorne Hamblin, the new coach of Team China is simply another body replacing Dan Raphael. Don't think he's on a similar wavelength to the chinese girls. Too bad, the chinese girls throw very nicely now, although I swear that new third is carrying each rock over the hogline.

On a personal aside, I haven't seen a third on the international stage the likes of Beth Iskiw for a long time. Last time the name was Betker, Jan Betker.

Right now Iskiw is tormenting all comers and giving Heather Ned that extra push required to take on anyone.

Betker was the glue behind Sandra Schmirler. And now we have Glue Iskiw - recent comparisons can't be overlooked - this girl is superior to the recent crop of thirds - whether it be Lehman, Cathy O, Baby Lawes, Sash Carter, Kim Schneider, Amy Nixon, etc.

Not only is Iskiw a superb shotsmith she's also a great second skip in the house, something the exquisite Kim Kelly couldn't do.

Only gal of recent vintage who played gangbusters even close to Iskiw - Jeanna Schraeder, The Shredder!

oh give me a break Beth has not been that impressive this week. Granted she has been good in her first two games but she has not performed anywhere near her scotties level yet..i dont care what the numbers say

Old Post 03-18-12 08:55PM
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Beth was definately out curled by Nicole yesterday. I like Beth too but I dont think we should build her up the way ManitobaLegend is.

She is still far below Jan Betker

Old Post 03-18-12 08:58PM
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:

I have to totally agree with you. This team is not a flash in the pan. They have beaten one of the serious contender and one of the favorite back to back with a calm, cool and controlled way something that is usually reserved to veterans. In addition, their first half of the schedule is one of the toughest if you examine it carefully.

The team is not making fluke shot and Melanie is calling a very decent game with Imogen making the shots when it's needed.

If you look at the game percentage today, it is clear that they played at the level or above the Scots.

Wish them good luck tonight. It's been a while we have not been able to cheer for an undergog and witness a cinderella story:-)

I expect GER to roll until about the halfway point... then hit the skids, as they don't look that impressive. Like the saying goes, most games are lost, not won and their opponents have not executed. I can't remember seeing Eve play like she did this morn and the team just never got into the game... maybe over-cofidence or something.

USA played decent this aft and the Swiss just made the right shots. The US skipper has excellent draw wt, which should serve them well down the road... she made both CDN and the Swiss throw their last rock when she made nice come-around draws.

Not sure what to say about the SWE... the Czechs made some rookie mistakes that cost them dearly. They played the last half of the 3rd end thinking a biter was out... then hit and rolled out on their hammer to give up a steal when the biter was actaully in... real game changer. Can't say I agree with the stats on this one as no way in H** the Czech lead should be 85. She completely changed at least two ends (4th & 6th)when they needed to score and she came into the house with 1st rock and then they had to scramble the rest of end to score a single.

Ita gave Korea a super game and almost won it, but skipper was too heavy on her last... The Korean skip is the best 4th I've seen so far, as she has bailed her team out many times.

It has been a real loud home crowd so far and they cheer at pretty well anything CDN does... Heather is playing quite well... can't say the same for the frontend.

Old Post 03-18-12 09:04PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Having horrible flashbacks of Swift Current

quote:

Got to think coaching has something to do with the line up shuffling. I think the skip has to take a bit more control of what happens on ice as well. Sometimes the technical best shot is not the best shot depending on how the skip feels.

I real wonder what would have happened if Canada....in the last end had decided to draw instead of pealing the guard? Would China have had to call another time out to reset.....I didn't watch the whole game but did see the last end.

I wondered why China didn't call a time out instead of rushing their last shot...where they out of time-outs?

On a side note...Canada better sharpen up or things could go very bad!!!!

They had already called a timeout before the thirds last rock and in international competition you only get one time out.

Old Post 03-18-12 09:23PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Beth was definately out curled by Nicole yesterday. I like Beth too but I dont think we should build her up the way ManitobaLegend is.

She is still far below Jan Betker

Manitoba Legend's hyping of Iskew is ridiculous, but he's done the same with other players in the past ( eg Jeanna Schraeder ).
Once he gets it into his head objectivity is out the window for years never mind individual games.

Old Post 03-18-12 11:09PM
China Supporter
Drawmaster

Guess Bingyu's figured this ice out...

The Goddess of Stealing Points has taken 5 points. Hope Bingyu's got her game back. The schedule tomorrow favours her to get back into the race...

Old Post 03-18-12 11:54PM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Thumbs down grr

I find it very strange that Canada didn't try the in off in the wings to get 4 in the 8th end. It looked pretty natural. We all know that's what the Mens teams would play without any hesitation.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.130.86.231

Old Post 03-18-12 11:59PM
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Strange 9th end strategy from Nedohim especially playing the hit with the lead's second rock that end. Fortunate to win that one but not too surprised Ott missed her last one....

Old Post 03-19-12 12:42AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

What in the hell was that from mirjam? She had a wide open nose hit for the win and she nearly flashed the damn thing.. The swiss had complete control of the back half of that game and Canada can thank Mirjam for that gift.

Switzerland should be 3-0 right now, Canada really does not deserve to be undefeated....I just do not get how mirjam made that mistake at all. With all her experience and the way they had been playing...I dont understand at all

Old Post 03-19-12 07:56AM
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
What in the hell was that from mirjam? She had a wide open nose hit for the win and she nearly flashed the damn thing.. The swiss had complete control of the back half of that game and Canada can thank Mirjam for that gift.

Switzerland should be 3-0 right now, Canada really does not deserve to be undefeated....I just do not get how mirjam made that mistake at all. With all her experience and the way they had been playing...I dont understand at all

She did the same thing in a blank attempt a few ends previously, she just seems to be overthrowing her open hits.

Agreed, she should know better.

Old Post 03-19-12 07:59AM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
T
But the warning signs are there - the canadian girls were out-curled at all positions - with the Carmens tormenting Mair & Iskiw severely.

I am sure most people will take the big W over stats any day.

Old Post 03-19-12 08:32AM
Beermaker
Drawmaster

Am I the only one who wishes the girls would take their stopwatches and put them where the sun doesn't shine. I am so sick of hearing 14.3 no I got 14.9, what did you get?.

Old Post 03-19-12 08:42AM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote