Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > Entries
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Art Lobel
Knee-Slider

Entries

Interesting to see Verve OCA Grandmasters for men 70 and women 65 entries hit 58 this year better than all other events so far this year.
Entry fee is only $140 and hotel and banquet at the provincial is included. Ontario is the only Ass'n in Canada running an event in this age group.
For some this is a first prov. final and for others it has been a long wait.
We had one competitor 89 yrs of age who started curling at 86 with a stick.

Check it out at http://grandmasterscurling.com/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-20-16 04:10PM
Art Lobel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Art Lobel Click here to Send Art Lobel a Private Message Find more posts by Art Lobel Add Art Lobel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
outurn
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Entries

quote:
Originally posted by Art Lobel
Interesting to see Verve OCA Grandmasters for men 70 and women 65 entries hit 58 this year better than all other events so far this year.
Entry fee is only $140 and hotel and banquet at the provincial is included. Ontario is the only Ass'n in Canada running an event in this age group.
For some this is a first prov. final and for others it has been a long wait.
We had one competitor 89 yrs of age who started curling at 86 with a stick.

Hi Art. I am delighted to hear that the Grandmasters has such good participation. I see you have no byes, or special draws to favour certain teams. Obviously based on your number of entries, this is the type of event that the OCA should be running.

Old Post 12-21-16 10:26AM
outurn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for outurn Click here to Send outurn a Private Message Find more posts by outurn Add outurn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WrongHandle
Harvey Hacksmasher

Further proof the game is struggling at the semi-pro level in Ontario. It is the semi-pros that help push the pros to be better and increase competitive landscape and foster new pros. Eventually it all collapses without the underlying foundation of up and coming teams.

Only 52 teams entered Tankard I believe across the prov. Three of four teams winning zone 1 were senior teams. This does not fill me with confidence that we are doing a good job of grooming strong young teams. Nothing against those senior teams, they are skilled no doubt. But those are the same teams that were winning in their 20s, 30s and 40s and it seems few young teams are coming up to replace them. A few got byes to PQ but even including them there is a dearth of competitive teams.

360 entry fee is discouraging teams from entering.

Perhaps a graduated payment system makes more sense. 180 for zones and 180 for provincial qualifier if you make it.

Old Post 12-21-16 01:54PM
WrongHandle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WrongHandle Click here to Send WrongHandle a Private Message Find more posts by WrongHandle Add WrongHandle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by WrongHandle
Perhaps a graduated payment system makes more sense. 180 for zones and 180 for provincial qualifier if you make it.

Great idea, I know teams in our club are just not entering events because of the fee. They can curl in a bonspiel, with meals, for a lot less.

Old Post 12-21-16 03:02PM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Netz

Great idea, I know teams in our club are just not entering events because of the fee. They can curl in a bonspiel, with meals, for a lot less.

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head...bonspiels are cheaper and more fun.

No hotels or time off work. It does concern me that there are few young teams coming up the ranks but then few teams in their 20's have the resources to spend $360 only to be knocked out in 2 games. Would be nice if some of these seniors took three 20-somethings into competitive events.

Old Post 12-21-16 03:45PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Art Lobel
Knee-Slider

Ontario Tankard and Scotties Entries

Forgot to mention Grandmasters has been a success due largely to our two main sponsors Verve Inspired Senior Living and Comco. Nice to see some former greats like Alphie Phillips and Eldon Coombe back in competetive action.

Old Post 12-21-16 10:38PM
Art Lobel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Art Lobel Click here to Send Art Lobel a Private Message Find more posts by Art Lobel Add Art Lobel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bugman
Harvey Hacksmasher

Artie, this is such a great news story! It's fantastic to hear about greats like Alphie and Eldon entering the playdown.

I'm a bit out of touch with the Ontario scene, but here's a few more legends that would add a lot to the tournament, if they still can play.

Terry Begin
Jim Sharples
Brian Longley
John & Tom Cushing
Ron 'Moon' Manning
John Ross

Just to name a few of my all-time favorite Ontario curlers

Moon, the Cushings and John Ross may not have thrown rocks in the past 20 years, but get them out anyway.

Jim Corrigan (not yet eligible!)

Old Post 12-23-16 01:57AM
Bugman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bugman Click here to Send Bugman a Private Message Find more posts by Bugman Add Bugman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bugman
Artie, this is such a great news story! It's fantastic to hear about greats like Alphie and Eldon entering the playdown.

I'm a bit out of touch with the Ontario scene, but here's a few more legends that would add a lot to the tournament, if they still can play.

Terry Begin
Jim Sharples
Brian Longley
John & Tom Cushing
Ron 'Moon' Manning
John Ross

Just to name a few of my all-time favorite Ontario curlers

Moon, the Cushings and John Ross may not have thrown rocks in the past 20 years, but get them out anyway.

Jim Corrigan (not yet eligible!)

Curled with John Ross at Tam Heather in mixed several years ago. What great memories. He's such a wonderful curler and great company. Likes to see the front end sweeping though. lol. He sure made my mate and I work hard. Loved him and his wife.

Last edited by albetts on 12-23-16 at 07:44AM

Old Post 12-23-16 07:39AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote