Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > A Strategy Question: 1 Down and 2 ends remain
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
milobloom
Administrator

A Strategy Question: 1 Down and 2 ends remain

Just as a way to take our minds off hair brooms and sweeping technique, I thought I'd pose a strategy question.

I was re-reading an old article I wrote in 2008 (wow I'm old).

http://curlwithmath.blogspot.ca/200...y-when-one.html

It got me to thinking about end game situations and how this scenario, 1 down with hammer starting the 9th (or 7th) end is still fascinating to see develop. I have seen teams approach it different ways and am still not certain what the ideal strategy for the team with hammer should be. Most teams would probably take a blank if it was offered, but that's not how the end usually unfolds.

What does everyone else think about this strategic quagmire?

Last edited by milobloom on 02-18-16 at 10:47PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-18-16 10:44PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

I should add that since this was written, the odds of losing when tied without hammer in the last (or extra) end have gone up from 75% and is now closing in on 80%, particularly in Slams. Interestingly, the odds for 1 down in the last end is still around 40%. We still don't have enough 5 rock data to compare and have yet to see a meaningful difference. We suspect that given the extra guard is often not in play, 1 up is ultimately the same type of end. 5-rock when a team is 2 up in the last end changes the situation however.

Old Post 02-18-16 11:03PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlinggrandma
Harvey Hacksmasher

Another "age-old" strategy question- Coming home 1 up without the hammer- Do you go "hard" for the steal?

Old Post 02-18-16 11:40PM
curlinggrandma is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlinggrandma Find more posts by curlinggrandma Add curlinggrandma to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

Personally, I think teams get into trouble by trying to make these sorts of decisions in advance -- and stick to them.

For me, the strategy would depend not only on the score, the hammer, and the end, but also on the ice conditions, how well the opponents were playing, and how well my teammates were playing.

Just my two cents. Don't spend 'em both in the same place. ;-)

Old Post 02-18-16 11:54PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlinggrandma
Another "age-old" strategy question- Coming home 1 up without the hammer- Do you go "hard" for the steal?

I like the "soft steal" here. One guard and comearound hoping to force but going harder for a steal with a half shot by the opposition.

Old Post 02-19-16 12:05AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

To be clear, I'm interested in how the team WITH hammer plays when they are down 1 in the 9th (or 7th end). Not the last end.

The non-hammer play is fairly clear. They have the advantage in pushing for a force or steal at the risk of giving up two.

And I couldn't disagree more about thinking in advance. Yes, ice conditions and opposition can factor in (though at top levels these are fairly consistent). Waiting for a situation to happen is not a great idea, especially if your clock is running down and you need to save time for the final end.

Old Post 02-19-16 01:26AM
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom
I couldn't disagree more about thinking in advance. Yes, ice conditions and opposition can factor in (though at top levels these are fairly consistent). Waiting for a situation to happen is not a great idea, especially if your clock is running down and you need to save time for the final end.

I apologize if I was unclear. I am not saying that thinking in advance is a bad idea. Far from it. I think it's a good idea to be prepared for all situations before they come up.

But it might not be a good idea to make all the decisions in advance, because the question is a lot more complicated than the information you've given us.

In particular, the things that work for elite players under pristine conditions may not work for club players under normal (i.e. sometimes very tricky) conditions.

So ... are you asking what I would do, or what I think elite players should do?

Old Post 02-19-16 02:32AM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: A Strategy Question: 1 Down and 2 ends remain

quote:
Just as a way to take our minds off hair brooms and sweeping technique, I thought I'd pose a strategy question.

It got me to thinking about end game situations and how this scenario, 1 down with hammer starting the 9th (or 7th) end is still fascinating to see develop. I have seen teams approach it different ways and am still not certain what the ideal strategy for the team with hammer should be. Most teams would probably take a blank if it was offered, but that's not how the end usually unfolds.

My first instinct was to draw to the wing with the first rock and hope to blank. My sense is that this is what most teams do, although I'd be curious if that's what others perceive. You mention in your article removing the centre guard with the sixth rock in this scenario (presumably trying to make the double on the rock in the rings). I'm curious, in your opinion, is this a preferable strategy to just trying to hit out the end and hoping the opposition doesn't make the perfect roll? If so, I think I would agree, although I think I more often see teams simply try and hit out the end.

Having said all this, I am intrigued by your idea of splitting the centre guard, and wonder why we still don't see this more often. I guess this depends on how often your team makes the tick shot, but if successful, this does seem to be the best way to play out the end. Any reason why you wouldn't consider playing this shot on your first shot of the end? Are you just more concerned about the consequences of missing it on that one?

Old Post 02-19-16 03:17AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
I should add that since this was written, the odds of losing when tied without hammer in the last (or extra) end have gone up from 75% and is now closing in on 80%, particularly in Slams. Interestingly, the odds for 1 down in the last end is still around 40%. We still don't have enough 5 rock data to compare and have yet to see a meaningful difference. We suspect that given the extra guard is often not in play, 1 up is ultimately the same type of end. 5-rock when a team is 2 up in the last end changes the situation however.

I hope no-one is basing their strategy on these statistics, because the statistics for elite (essentially professional) teams would be significantly different than the stats for club curling, as club teams usually don't curl 90% to 95%. Easier to steal at the club level...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 02-19-16 06:39AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

My observation is many elite teams psychologically want to have the hammer down one in the last end, despite the stats, so they tend to pursue the end with a blank in mind. At this level a force is almost as good as losing on the spot.

At the club level, it's harder to force a blank, and since steal percentage is likely higher, going for a deuce makes sense, where the world doesn't end if you get forced. At the club level, deuces also have a way of turning into treys, and that's a game-ender in this scenario.

Old Post 02-19-16 08:25AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LMXcurls
Knee-Slider

Re: A Strategy Question: 1 Down and 2 ends remain

quote:

Assuming the team without hammer places a center guard, I'd pursue the draw to the wings, back 8 foot. You could ice it tight for the tick (if you've got a lead that tends to flare or dump shots) and as long as the weight control and sweeping is good, you should be in a good spot. Back 8 doesn't allow a hit and roll behind the guard, or at least not one that doesn't allow a freeze on top of it.

Assume the other team then tries a come around. At this point you follow them around and then it becomes a game of peels and angles. If they try a freeze on your back 8 rock, they run the risk of bringing 2-3 into play. If they hit, you get to keep play on the wings for a while.

That's usually how I would play it, though factors such as the ice, team percentage and strength of opponent always play in.

Old Post 02-19-16 02:48PM
LMXcurls is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LMXcurls Find more posts by LMXcurls Add LMXcurls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Re: Re: A Strategy Question: 1 Down and 2 ends remain

quote:
Originally posted by LMXcurls

Assuming the team without hammer places a center guard, I'd pursue the draw to the wings, back 8 foot. You could ice it tight for the tick (if you've got a lead that tends to flare or dump shots) and as long as the weight control and sweeping is good, you should be in a good spot. Back 8 doesn't allow a hit and roll behind the guard, or at least not one that doesn't allow a freeze on top of it.

Assume the other team then tries a come around. At this point you follow them around and then it becomes a game of peels and angles. If they try a freeze on your back 8 rock, they run the risk of bringing 2-3 into play. If they hit, you get to keep play on the wings for a while.

That's usually how I would play it, though factors such as the ice, team percentage and strength of opponent always play in.

The wing game is pretty typical play for a club team, but often better suited to being tied or up than behind. If the other team has good shotmakers, though, they will chase your shot rock until you hit and roll out, or roll behind the tee line behind the center guard, then they will come around and attempt to force with little risk of giving up a deuce.If everybody makes clean hits on the wing, though, you can keep a blank in play until someone decides to go around the center guard.

If you really want your deuce, you almost have to play the come-around game (which often shrinks the scoring area) or throw a corner guard.

All this is what makes the game fun. There is no one right way to play this scenario.

Old Post 02-19-16 03:04PM
Kiwi
Harvey Hacksmasher

Agree w RockDoc - robo-blank happens a lot, and it's hard to do on command. We'd probably go hard for the deuce and take risks (you're going to have to to win the game anyways, might as well do it when you've got the hammer). If you drop the steal, you go hard for the deuce in 10 and play to steal the extra. If you get the deuce, you have a couple more options in 10 (conservative, play for a force and get hammer in the extra, or apply a bit of early pressure and try to lock up a steal if they make a mistake early going for the deuce and a win instead of securing a way to score). As you said, this is fun as there's no one 'right' way to play this.

Old Post 02-21-16 06:06PM
Kiwi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kiwi Click here to Send Kiwi a Private Message Find more posts by Kiwi Add Kiwi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Down 1 With playing the 9th...hummm. Blank is a good outcome. Scoring 1 is bad. Them stealing 1 is bad. Scoring 2 is (here, but almost always) good...but not great.

So if I were to rank those outcomes, I'd have them in the order of Blank, Score 2, Opposition steal 1, Force to 1.

With those preferences in order, I'm prepared to make a decision depending on their first rock.

If they come into the house, I'm hitting and going for the blank. I'd stick around and not peel, but I'd try to get cute with the roll because a rollout isn't bad at all. I'd hit no matter where they came into the paint...even backhouse.

If they throw a center guard (especially a long center), I'm countering with a corner or the tic to 2 corners. If it is Game On, then I'm going hard for the deuce. The comearound is not an option because, if they follow it in, the force is too likely.

So I'm viewing it as Blank or Bingo. No score or a big score. Their rock sets the song and I have to be ready to dance.

NOT using stats to be prepared for Late Game scenarios is leaving a tool unused. True, SLAM play doesn't reflect reality for most curlers; but beneath the numbers lay the logic.

Ben Tucker

Old Post 02-23-16 03:17PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

I like your logic, Tuck, but I'd rate the priorities a little differently: Score 2, blank, force to 1, steal 1, with the last two options nearly equally bad. The main problem is the strategies to score 2 and blank are typically at odds with each other.

Statistically, up one without is probably better than even win expectancy (WE) especially at the club level; down 1 with is probably just under even WE odds; tied without is probably 25-40% WE at the club level, and down 2 with is probably very low WE, as you need to get a deuce or better (less than even chance, I think) PLUS steal the extra end.

Some day, I'm gonna do my little experiment at the club and get typical hammer, force, steal efficiencies, etc. in our own club leagues just for fun to see how they stack up to the elite level percentages. It requires me to get full line scores every night, though, which requires a great deal of cooperation (and memory to do it.)

Cheers.

Old Post 02-23-16 04:54PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Exactly, RockDoc. Your approach to the 9th should be predicated on where you will accept being in the 10th.

I strongly prefer the Blank over taking 2; but not strongly enough to risk everything to achieve it. With the Blank (and hammer coming home down 1), you have a good expectation of winning and a very good expectation of getting to an extra end (albeit, without the hammer). Maybe Milo can give us fresh numbers on 10th End Down 1 With Hammer.

As for league play: It's league play. Take points whenever they are available. Count on the other team missing some. I don't believe this plotting of strategy can apply to something that can be, at times, very random. It's hard enough when the curlers are at 85%.

So my answer to Milo's question is a question: What does your opponent do with the first rock? I'm going to assume that they are smart and lay a long guard, with the strategy to force you to 1 and have hammer coming home tied up. If so, I think you have to dance to the tune they have selected.

You draw the side rings and they hit/stick. Unless they roll out sometime soon, somebody is scoring. It had better be me and it better be more than 1...so I'm going for broke. Throw the corner and dream of 3.

Ben Tucker

Old Post 02-23-16 08:00PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I strongly prefer the Blank over taking 2; but not strongly enough to risk everything to achieve it. With the Blank (and hammer coming home down 1), you have a good expectation of winning and a very good expectation of getting to an extra end (albeit, without the hammer). Maybe Milo can give us fresh numbers on 10th End Down 1 With Hammer.

It's been a pretty consistent situation, with it being about 57% in favour of being up 1 without hammer. 43% down 1 with hammer.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 02-23-16 08:06PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

"what do you like ? "

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
planning in curling is like budgeting in business ...

all is well until someone misses a shot - or no customers come into the store for a week ...

thats when the leads, seconds and thirds and coaches come down and we hear those magic words

"what do you like ? "

followed by 2 excruciatingly painful minutes of indecision and

" i dont mind this ..."

in our abode we decided to not call this "thinking time"

it happens at all levels but is most disturbing when top mens teams act it out

Yeah, absolutely!

When the skip says, "What do you like?" I always say, "I like it when the skip calls the shots!"

I like it this way when I'm skipping, I like it this way when I'm playing but not skipping, and I like it this way on TV too.

I always figure: if you're thinking out loud, you're giving away information.

And my wife says: the longer they talk, the more likely they are to miss the next shot.

Old Post 02-23-16 09:10PM
gemmalyly@gmail
Knee-Slider

This article offers valuable insights connections and practical advice. I'll definitely be using this information in my daily life.

Old Post 11-03-23 03:12AM
gemmalyly@gmail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gemmalyly@gmail Find more posts by gemmalyly@gmail Add gemmalyly@gmail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote