Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Did Ben Hebert refuse to shake Brad Jacobs hand after loss?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
comedyhour
Knee-Slider

Did Ben Hebert refuse to shake Brad Jacobs hand after loss?

Sure looked like it to me.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-09-16 09:32AM
comedyhour is offline Click Here to See the Profile for comedyhour Click here to Send comedyhour a Private Message Find more posts by comedyhour Add comedyhour to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGroupie
Knee-Slider

No, I think he did shake hands. I posted the following to the 2016 Brier thread; I rewatched my recording again after posting this earlier this morning and I'm almost certain now that Hebert shook hands.

"I also noticed it but when I rewound my recording, I saw something else too. After Koe's last shot finished, Ben Hebert was clearing rocks out of the house. As he moved out of camera frame, his hand extended as if he was preparing to shake hands. Both Brad Jacobs and Ryan Fry were standing on the back boards off camera. I'm going to give Ben the benefit of the doubt and say that he shook hands on the back boards out of camera frame, then scooted back to shake hands with the Harndens and then scooted off the ice.

I'm not the biggest Hebert fan in terms of his sportsmanship, but on my review I think he did shake hands. I could be wrong."

Old Post 03-09-16 10:13AM
CurlingGroupie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGroupie Click here to Send CurlingGroupie a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingGroupie Add CurlingGroupie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

Don't think so--at least based on seeing jacobs and kennedy having words after the game. And I'm not totally convinced I'd shake hands with jacobs as well. Final note---TSN did --as per usual when there is conflict---a horrrible job at addressing it. Why can't they ever have an opinion or at the very least ask the tough questions at the 5th end break. Did the rocks have to go back? Fry looked like he wanted to talk about it and immediately brad said 'put them back'--why not explore this?

Old Post 03-09-16 10:19AM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Oh I'm thinking Brad would have put the same effort into shaking Benny's hand if the outcome had been reversed.

Old Post 03-09-16 10:30AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by bennybeam
Final note---TSN did --as per usual when there is conflict---a horrrible job at addressing it. Why can't they ever have an opinion or at the very least ask the tough questions at the 5th end break.

Just because the gang of Johnny-pee-pants gossips here at CurlingZone thinks there was some difficult decision to be made, in fact there was not. Jacobs et al. did nothing wrong. There was no controversy to address.

Burn the rock, normally that means remove it from play. The scenario isn't even controversial in B flight day ladies league play.

Old Post 03-09-16 10:35AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

Don't think so my friend. There was clearly a game-changing conversation going on after that mishap and instad of getting Russ Howard's opinion I got a 10 minute interview with the miniter of sport LOL

I get it--you curling folks like to keep it vanilla. But I would have prefer to get some insight into the rules and what and who had the decision to do what. Nothing to do with being all TMZ--just an interested viewer looking for some insight into what happened. It was obvious from the facial expressions of Laing and the body language of all the others that something significant happened. SO surreal to just watch play continue as if nothing happened.

Old Post 03-09-16 10:46AM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

a burned rock is a burned rock, remove it from play period end of discussion

Old Post 03-09-16 11:52AM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LMXcurls
Knee-Slider

If he didn't, two wrongs don't make a right.

If he did, I'm sure it was frostier than the ice at the local curling club.

We claim sportsmanship is one of the pillars of curling, so I'd really like to hope that in that vein, a handshake took place, even if it was a terse one.

Old Post 03-09-16 11:57AM
LMXcurls is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LMXcurls Find more posts by LMXcurls Add LMXcurls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

Just because the gang of Johnny-pee-pants gossips here at CurlingZone thinks there was some difficult decision to be made, in fact there was not. Jacobs et al. did nothing wrong. There was no controversy to address.

Burn the rock, normally that means remove it from play. The scenario isn't even controversial in B flight day ladies league play.

No the rules for Burned rocks have changed, you have 3 choices now! If it was burned after the far hogline, close to the house, you have some options...curling is not a simple game.

Old Post 03-09-16 03:04PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
irishrose
Harvey Hacksmasher

I was watching that game and from what I saw Ben Hebert did not shake hands with Jacobs and he was pretty sour looking as he went by.

Old Post 03-09-16 05:39PM
irishrose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for irishrose Click here to Send irishrose a Private Message Find more posts by irishrose Add irishrose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by LMXcurls
If he didn't, two wrongs don't make a right.

If he did, I'm sure it was frostier than the ice at the local curling club.

We claim sportsmanship is one of the pillars of curling, so I'd really like to hope that in that vein, a handshake took place, even if it was a terse one.

^ I disagree. A phony handshake is not sportsmanship, it's insincerity and hypocrisy.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 03-10-16 03:34AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingGroupie
No, I think he did shake hands. I posted the following to the 2016 Brier thread; I rewatched my recording again after posting this earlier this morning and I'm almost certain now that Hebert shook hands.

"I also noticed it but when I rewound my recording, I saw something else too. After Koe's last shot finished, Ben Hebert was clearing rocks out of the house. As he moved out of camera frame, his hand extended as if he was preparing to shake hands. Both Brad Jacobs and Ryan Fry were standing on the back boards off camera. I'm going to give Ben the benefit of the doubt and say that he shook hands on the back boards out of camera frame, then scooted back to shake hands with the Harndens and then scooted off the ice.

I'm not the biggest Hebert fan in terms of his sportsmanship, but on my review I think he did shake hands. I could be wrong."

^ No... I saw Hebert shaking hands standing on the carpet behind the House, too - and I was about to post the same thing as you posted. But then I took a closer look, and saw that he wasn't shaking hands with any of the 4 Northern Ontario players back there, he was shaking hands with two people wearing Northern Ontario jackets who appeared to be the coach and 5th player.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 03-10-16 03:38AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

^ I disagree. A phony handshake is not sportsmanship, it's insincerity and hypocrisy.

All handshakes at the beginning and end of a game are a farce then. It is not a sincere wish to have the other team win. It is hypocritical to wish that. Rather you are shaking to acknowledge Good game. That is sportsmanship.
One team wins. One loses. That is life in sports. I have never met anyone who is happy to lose. When there is so much on the line tempers flare. Bad behaviour shows.

It is only a game.

Old Post 03-10-16 03:51AM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie

All handshakes at the beginning and end of a game are a farce then. It is not a sincere wish to have the other team win. It is hypocritical to wish that. Rather you are shaking to acknowledge Good game. That is sportsmanship.

^ Of course.
I don't know what you're getting at here. At the beginning of the game, we typically wish each other a "good game", or "good curling" - not "I hope you win". And so there is no insincerity or hypocrisy here - I can sincerely wish that someone has a good game, and at the same time hope that my team has a slightly better one, and wins.

quote:
One team wins. One loses. That is life in sports. I have never met anyone who is happy to lose. When there is so much on the line tempers flare. Bad behaviour shows.

It is only a game.

^ Yes, and in typical circumstances, I fully agree on handshakes before and after the game, in sincerity.
But the game to which we are referring - Northern Ontario Vs. Alberta at the Brier the other night - was not a typical game. In that game, Brent Laing burnt a rock on an important shot that was made... and the Jacobs team decided to negate that shot. There was controversy about that incident. And so if Hebert genuinely felt that the Jacobs team did something cheap and wrong in negating the shot - which was the turning point in the Jacobs win - then it would be hypocritical and phony of him to shake hands with them.
So if Hebert indeed did not shake hands, and if it was for this reason, I feel that he is perfectly within his right, and that not shaking hands is better than being a phony and shaking hands insincerely.

Old Post 03-10-16 04:10AM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:

^ Of course.
I don't know what you're getting at here. At the beginning of the game, we typically wish each other a "good game", or "good curling" - not "I hope you win". And so there is no insincerity or hypocrisy here - I can sincerely wish that someone has a good game, and at the same time hope that my team has a slightly better one, and wins.

^ Yes, and in typical circumstances, I fully agree on handshakes before and after the game, in sincerity.
But the game to which we are referring - Northern Ontario Vs. Alberta at the Brier the other night - was not a typical game. In that game, Brent Laing burnt a rock on an important shot that was made... and the Jacobs team decided to negate that shot. There was controversy about that incident. And so if Hebert genuinely felt that the Jacobs team did something cheap and wrong in negating the shot - which was the turning point in the Jacobs win - then it would be hypocritical and phony of him to shake hands with them.
So if Hebert indeed did not shake hands, and if it was for this reason, I feel that he is perfectly within his right, and that not shaking hands is better than being a phony and shaking hands insincerely.

In the TAnkard article it is clear team Jacobs followed the recommendation of the referee when they asked for help in what to do. It was not just their choice to make a choice that benefits them but they sought expert advice. So Ben's response is unsportsmanlike because he knows what the decision process was. It was not simply I want to win so I am going to do this, but rather the advice based on the rules is to do this so I will and it resulted in bonus points.

Old Post 03-10-16 03:25PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:

^ Of course.

In the TAnkard article it is clear team Jacobs followed the recommendation of the referee when they asked for help in what to do. It was not just their choice to make a choice that benefits them but they sought expert advice. So Ben's response is unsportsmanlike because he knows what the decision process was. It was not simply I want to win so I am going to do this, but rather the advice based on the rules is to do this so I will and it resulted in bonus points.

Old Post 03-10-16 03:25PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:

Regardless of what the Tankard article said, or what Jacobs claimed... Jacobs was heard saying "Put them (the rocks) back" immediately following the shot in question. This certainly gave him no time to 'consult' with anyone, or to hear various opinions on what is the best thing to do, before stating his wish that the shot be negated completely.

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-11-16 at 01:33AM

Old Post 03-11-16 01:30AM
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Someone mentioned this, but the rule when the stone is touched by the throwing team, after the far hog line, allows the non-offending team to:
A) remove the stone and replace all the other stones
B) leave all stones where they came to rest
C) reasonably replace the stones where they reasonably believe they would come to rest had the stone not been touched

First off, I wish the rule was more black/white. If it simply was, "the stone is removed and all rocks must be replaced", then there's no controversy. I feel the non-offending team (NO in this situation) is put in a really tough spot as they did nothing wrong, but yet have to choose between looking like jerks and removing the stone or being 'nice guys' but hurting their chances to win the game.

And second, as others also mentioned, is it asking too much for the commentators to expand on the situation a bit? People love controversy in sports! Do Vic, Russ and Cheryl have to be so polite and vanilla that they refuse to acknowledge the truth of the situation? Play it up a bit!... "Ooh Hebert doesn't look too happy with NO's decision to remove the rock!"... "Jacobs didn't even consider letting the shot stand!"

My take: Hebert was angry that Jacobs insisted on the stones being replaced when it appeared the shot was made. Jacobs was perfectly within the rules to do what he did, even if the most sportsmanlike thing to do probably would be to let the shot stand. And even if you are mad at the guy (and even though post-game handshakes are mostly a farce anyways), you should always shake the other team's hands.

Old Post 03-11-16 01:59AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
First off, I wish the rule was more black/white. If it simply was, "the stone is removed and all rocks must be replaced", then there's no controversy. I feel the non-offending team (NO in this situation) is put in a really tough spot as they did nothing wrong, but yet have to choose between looking like jerks and removing the stone or being 'nice guys' but hurting their chances to win the game.

Indeed, the non-offending team - which obviously has a vested interest in the shot, as they are involved in the game, is in a very clear conflict of interest position, where they are permitted to do what benefits them most, and to do so with absolute immunity. And, as the stakes at the elite level of curling continue to rise, more and more teams will choose the self-serving option of doing what benefits them the most, rather than the option which is the most fair. This is obviously NOT in the spirit in which the rule was conceived. It's ridiculous.

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
And even if you are mad at the guy (and even though post-game handshakes are mostly a farce anyways), you should always shake the other team's hands.

I see absolutely no reason to be an outright hypocrite and shake the hand of a person one does not respect. Shaking hands is meant to be a sign of respect. It's never a good idea to pretend, or to be phony, just to 'look good'. If there is no respect, there should be no handshake, period.

Old Post 03-11-16 02:25AM
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Regardless of what the Tankard article said, or what Jacobs claimed... Jacobs was heard saying "Put them (the rocks) back" immediately following the shot in question. This certainly gave him no time to 'consult' with anyone, or to hear various opinions on what is the best thing to do, before stating his wish that the shot be negated completely.

And that's the rub. I watched it back a bunch of times and you could even see Fry's face looking a bit sheepish. I think even if Brad took a moment to discuss the matter with his team, most wouldn't have a problem with it. But that's not Brad, he's a win at all costs type of guy and so be it. He's still a premiere skip

Old Post 03-11-16 09:02AM
Stumpy
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm on the side that if you don't like the outcome, don't burn the rock. Laing broke the rules, not Jacobs.

Second, why is the burned rock that is leading to so much discussion? This happens all the time in elite level curling yet this is the one causing all the discussion? Jacobs certainly isn't the first guy to make this decision. In recent years we've seen Jennifer Jones do the exact same thing and no one complained.

Old Post 03-11-16 10:08AM
Stumpy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stumpy Click here to Send Stumpy a Private Message Find more posts by Stumpy Add Stumpy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy
In recent years we've seen Jennifer Jones do the exact same thing and no one complained.

People on this site did complain

Old Post 03-11-16 10:15AM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HerCurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Did Hebert shake hands?

I can't fault NO for their decision. When there is a triple involved, any tiny deviation from the trajectory (and I certainly saw one), may mean the triple would not have been made. I found AB's response of "It doesn't matter where they were--he's drawing for 1" rather presumptuous, and when I heard someone on NO say "It does matter.", I thought BINGO!

Old Post 03-13-16 08:07PM
HerCurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HerCurl Click here to Send HerCurl a Private Message Find more posts by HerCurl Add HerCurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Did Hebert shake hands?

quote:
Originally posted by HerCurl
I can't fault NO for their decision. When there is a triple involved, any tiny deviation from the trajectory (and I certainly saw one), may mean the triple would not have been made. I found AB's response of "It doesn't matter where they were--he's drawing for 1" rather presumptuous, and when I heard someone on NO say "It does matter.", I thought BINGO!

Totally agree!!!!

Old Post 03-14-16 08:53AM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

They definitely shared a handshake and a chuckle at the post-final ceremony.

Old Post 03-14-16 09:08AM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote