Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Olympic Qualification Event
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Observer
Swing Artist

Olympic Qualification Event

The last chance Olympic Qualification Event has begun today (Dec. 5, 2021j with the mixed doubles, but watching it on TV is going to be difficult as NBC and other networks are dumping the coverage. NBC said it was a problem with a sponsorship at the event.

And I can see what that problem probably is, because embedded in the ice near the hog lines is a web link to a manufacturer of erotic toys. As they would have to melt and refreeze the ice to remove or obscure this, which would take a lot of time, I think we may be stuck like this.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-05-21 09:24AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Actually, watching it now on the.recast.app , I see that sponsor isn’t just near the hog lines, they’re -everywhere-. Scoreboard, free guard zone, sideboards.

There’s also some Christmas-y sponsor, so it’s like a weird collision between Christmas and Valentine’s Day.

Old Post 12-05-21 10:20AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Well, it is disappointing for folk who rely on video. There is still good engagement through line scores, forums, and twitter/IG are both really good for clips, links, interviews, and sometimes, text play by play. #hashtags work. Those of us without video, do keep up, and it is still exciting. There is lots at stake in the #lastChance. As always, thanks for all of your input here - and uhm, what were they thinking? or uh - are we prudes west of the Atlantic? Will we call this #dildogate? It is pretty funny and gigantic fodder for meme's and twitter trending. OMG. How did this HAPPEN! LOL. I wish I was a fly on the wall in the meeting rooms.

Last edited by nelski on 12-05-21 at 12:03PM

Old Post 12-05-21 11:41AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Hilarious that I can drive down the 401 in Ontario and see ads for Pink Cherry all over the place but Americans and the Japanese apparently can't handle the same on their TVs?

Old Post 12-05-21 02:11PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

So, I'm following the Last Chance Olympic qualifier for the Mixed Doubles. I see that Australia (resident/training in AB and coached by John Morris) is playoff bound, but have read that two others have also qualified for playoffs. Does anyone know who else, and how this playdown for two spots in the Olympics will finish up?

Old Post 12-07-21 05:53PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I don't actually know the format, but schedule suggests something:

https://worldcurling.org/2021/12/oqe2021-broadcast/

It looks like there will be two finals (because there are 2 spots for the Olympics). A1 & B1 get byes to finals. Semifinals are A2vB3 and A3vB2, i.e. A2 and B2 cross over to challenge B3 and A3, winners challenge B1 and A1.

Crossover means no A1vA2 rematch at the final. A1vA3 is possible, but perhaps more likely is A1vB2.

Current standings: https://worldcurling.org/events/oqe...eType=standings

Already qualified are 4W-0L AUS from A and 5W-0L KOR and USA from B. Two more from A and one more from B will qualify.

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-07-21 at 06:13PM

Old Post 12-07-21 06:03PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

K. The article about USA and Korea on the WCF site skirted around the making playoffs question. I thought it must be them. Thanks CClips. So six in the mix.

Old Post 12-07-21 06:16PM
Observer
Swing Artist

The WCF website certainly doesn’t lay this out in an easy to understand fashion, but here is how I think it works.

They have two pools, A and B, each with 7 teams. During round robin, you only play within your pool. The top 3 teams in each pool get into the playoffs on Thursday.

Right now (Tues. night), Australia is the only team in Pool A that has qualified for the playoffs with a 4-0 record. Hungary is 3-1, Denmark and Germany are 3-2, and Russia is 2-2. Spain and Turkey have been eliminated.

In pool B, Korea and the United States both have 5-0 records and have qualified. Finland at 3-2 and Japan at 2-3 are fighting for that third spot. Latvia, Estonia, and New Zealand have been eliminated.

Playoffs are on Thursday. The top A team and the top B team get the morning off, while A2 plays B3 and B2 plays A3. Losers are done, winners advance.

In the afternoon, A1 plays the winner of B2/A3. The winner is in the Olympics and the loser is out.

In the evening, B1 plays the winner of A2/B3. Again, the winner goes to the Olympics and the loser is out.

Old Post 12-07-21 06:16PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

The quality of WCF media is so low. Their articles are terrible, confusing, use wrong terms, etc. The website is so awful. It's gotta be hurting the sport to have a world body this weak.

Substantively the US is looking very good. Japan a massive disappointment so far.

Old Post 12-07-21 07:14PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
WCF use wrong terms

Do you have examples of these? I don't doubt that mistakes happen, but I'm just wondering if you have something more damning.

Old Post 12-07-21 07:27PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Do you have examples of these? I don't doubt that mistakes happen, but I'm just wondering if you have something more damning.

It's actually not often curling terms but general English stuff. Though right now they have a tweet up about Australia "adding" to their shooting percentage which is...not how percentages work. Another classic is how every hit that involves two rocks gets called a raise even if it's not a raise.

Old Post 12-07-21 07:35PM
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

The errors I have seen are on the teams pages where they noted Chinami Yoshida as the Japanese women's skip (rather than Satsuki Fujisawa) and initially listed the Korean men's team twice. They have fixed the latter.

I usually find their broadcasts quite good but have paid the subscription for this new channel.

Old Post 12-07-21 07:46PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Tomorrow's USA vs KOR game decides who gets the bye to the final, and who crosses over to the other group to eventually challenge their best.

I think USA is favored to win this. USA has been quite consistent. On the other hand, KOR was down 5-0 vs EST and had to steal the extra end, and also dropped a 4-ender vs LAT in a non-powerplay. They won both of those games, but hopefully USA paid attention and figured out KOR's weaknesses that they can exploit.

I'm not sure what to make of Kim Minji. I haven't watched much of her games. She's probably a better shooter than she is a skip.

I blame it on her women's team coach, based on some of his advice in the few grand slam games they've been on. Mike Harris openly criticized the coach's advice several times.

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-07-21 at 07:59PM

Old Post 12-07-21 07:51PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Just to be clear about my WCF comments: NOT talking about the broadcasts. Very strong group there. Harris aside; he's just too negative (though a lot better than 15 years ago! and I enjoy his interviews a lot).

I think Kim has the goods but she's 22. If Korea's program can develop women like her then it'll have a great future. But obviously their history is concerning. Her skipping looks like the average 22 year old junior champ in Canada.

Old Post 12-07-21 09:06PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Well, I just watched the extra end of KOR vs EST (bonus curling after NZL vs JPN game), and apparently Wade Scoffin coaches the KOR mixed double team. They can probably do better, but at least they got a veteran Canadian as a coach.

And yes, they communicate in English.

https://www.yukon-news.com/sports/y...eam-head-coach/

Old Post 12-07-21 11:45PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I sure would like to see the USA KOR game in video. Winner goes gets the bye to the qualifying game... but then, that didn't do Team Fleury much good in the Cdn Women's Oly Trials. Is it a blessing or a curse to get the bye?

Old Post 12-08-21 09:01AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I sure would like to see the USA KOR game in video. Winner goes gets the bye to the qualifying game... but then, that didn't do Team Fleury much good in the Cdn Women's Oly Trials. Is it a blessing or a curse to get the bye?

I'd be curious of the stats on this. In the past year in Canada the bye winners at the Brier, Scotties and women's Trials all lost the final. Meanwhile the bye winner has never lost in the history of the men's Trials (women are now 50/50).

Old Post 12-08-21 09:22AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Watching it now on Recast, works well and is reputable site. Used my two free games and then watched 4 ads to get to watch this free. Look for the longer ads.

Old Post 12-08-21 09:25AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel

I'd be curious of the stats on this. In the past year in Canada the bye winners at the Brier, Scotties and women's Trials all lost the final. Meanwhile the bye winner has never lost in the history of the men's Trials (women are now 50/50).

The problem has always seemed to me to be that the bye teams cool off and lose their command of the ice if they have a whole day off. That will not be the case with these byes, as everyone plays today and it'll all be finished by tomorrow night.

Old Post 12-08-21 10:19AM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Aku Kauste duo wants to be in the six mix for sure. Here is a curler who has seem the world stage (not sure about Olys). Only two slots though. It won't be easy. Thanks for the Recast tip - it was great on my free view. We'll see.

So, Germany needs both Hungary and Russia to lose (if there are even tie breakers). If one of them loses, the other gets to play on. If they both win - shrugs. LSFD or Tiebreaker. Gametime 19:00 Nederlands today.

Last edited by nelski on 12-08-21 at 11:26AM

Old Post 12-08-21 10:30AM
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Russia result crucial

The way it looks to me...
Denmark plays Hungary so the winner of that game qualifies with 2 losses. If Russia wins they qualify the same way. If Russia loses then I do not know the tie-breaker but if it is Draw Shot Challenge (there does not seem to be time for tie-breaker games) then currently Russia leads, Germany second and Denmark and Hungary a fair way back. So it seems that Russia can qualify by having a good DSC even if they lose their game.

Old Post 12-08-21 11:49AM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Yes, RUS looks good. Barring a catastrophe, RUS should win against 0W-5L TUR, and even if they lose that game, they will qualify either due to head-to-head result (if tied with GER and HUN, both of whom RUS had already beaten) or better DSC (if tied with GER and DEN, which is rock-paper-scissors), assuming RUS doesn't botch their final LSD.

You don't have to wait for the RUS vs TUR game to finish to know if RUS is in. Once RUS completes their LSD for their last game, their DSC is finalized, and you know immediately whether RUS is guaranteed a spot or not.

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-08-21 at 12:10PM

Old Post 12-08-21 12:04PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Russia result crucial

quote:
Originally posted by Curlwalker
I do not know the tie-breaker but if it is Draw Shot Challenge

DSC is always a last resort. Head-to-head result has higher priority than DSC.

Look at 2021 World Women's as example. USA, CAN, and KOR were 7W-6L, only 2 spots left. KOR has the best DSC, but KOR also lost to both USA and CAN, so KOR got eliminated.

Winning games is more important than the particular skill of drawing to the button.

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-08-21 at 12:33PM

Old Post 12-08-21 12:14PM
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Germany leads LSD

According to curlit Germany beats Russia by .42 of a cm on overall LSD.

Old Post 12-08-21 01:05PM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Germany leads LSD

GER leads DSC, not LSD, but yes, that just happened, so...

GER can get in only if TUR beats RUS and HUN beats DEN.

Remember:
LSD decides who gets LSFE
DSC is used to rank teams

They're two different things.

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-08-21 at 01:29PM

Old Post 12-08-21 01:11PM