Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Scotties 2023
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I'm curious who will be in the lineup for Team Jones tomorrow.

So far I've seen 3 different lineups (Emily benched, Lauren benched, and Mackenzie benched). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they ever benched Karlee in this tournament.

We saw Emily benched at 1v2 game. So my guess is Lauren will be benched tomorrow for the final?

It would be kind of crazy to bench Mackenzie, even though they have done that in a must-win C-bracket game of a triple knockout grand slam before.

Supposedly it's all on pre-determined planned schedule, i.e. it's not related to actual on-ice performance.

I'm really excited, and I hope to see more 5-person teams in the future.

Last edited by curlingclips on 02-26-23 at 02:14AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-26-23 02:10AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Lenentine is curling far better (91%, +1 vs. 83%, -2) so the choice to win is the same lineup as yesterday.

Old Post 02-26-23 09:18AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
the choice to win

I can see how a 5-person Team Jones would have a prior understanding that the choice for a particular lineup is NOT based on performance, that no one person is ever benched because her inclusion would've decreased the winning percentage, etc.

They probably had a flow chart at the beginning of the week that would've determined who would be benched in the final regardless of how any player was performing during the week.

Jones quote also said that just playing well in the final would be good enough for the team. I don't think they would sacrifice their team philosophy just to win a game.

Old Post 02-26-23 10:48AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Here's a crazy thought: what if Jones benches herself?

That would be the most dramatic benching of all time! It'll prove to everyone that this wasn't about her own legacy or whatever. This was always about mentoring the next generation of curlers until they're ready, so she can eventually retire from women's curling, so...

What if Jones believes that the team is ready to win the Scotties without her on the ice?

Goosebumps!!

Old Post 02-26-23 02:58PM
EPMD
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Lenentine is curling far better (91%, +1 vs. 83%, -2) so the choice to win is the same lineup as yesterday.

I think she is also a stronger sweeper. I don't think they can afford to remove her.

I thought McCarville was fortunate to beat Jones last weekend. This time around, her luck ran out. Her team curled horribly -- whether down to ice or just nerves. If Team McCarville plays like that again then it will be a short semifinal.

I thought Einarson's confidence was too high heading into that game vs. Jones. She had an easy schedule, won all her games, and then convinced herself she should be trying the most difficult shots. To me, Team Einarson is clearly the best team and simply needs to adopt the Colleen Jones playbook. Don't try anything fancy, make all your shots, watch your opponents blunder, and collect your titles. That strategy should work against both McCarville and Jones -- even without last rock advantage to start.

Old Post 02-26-23 03:04PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I predict Jennifer Jones will give Shannon Birchard a hug instead of shaking hands at the end of the game.

Old Post 02-26-23 06:51PM
alex
Swing Artist

Can you bet on this?

Old Post 02-26-23 08:45PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Here's a crazy thought: what if Jones benches herself?

That would be the most dramatic benching of all time! It'll prove to everyone that this wasn't about her own legacy or whatever. This was always about mentoring the next generation of curlers until they're ready, so she can eventually retire from women's curling, so...

What if Jones believes that the team is ready to win the Scotties without her on the ice?

Goosebumps!!

I think of your 1365 comments in the last couple of years, unbelievably this is your most asinine. That's with a capital ass.. And that's saying something. What a moron.

All in hoping for Jones and her young girls to win. New faces are a fresh change. Good for the sport.

Old Post 02-26-23 09:54PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Level of play hasn’t been great (though that might make for a very exciting finish).

Either it’s the teams or the ice. Can’t be neither.

Old Post 02-26-23 10:34PM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Vic Rauter said on-air that lineup was predetermined for 2 situations:
* MB final, Emily in, Lauren out
* Scotties final, Lauren in, Emily out

Nothing to do with their performance that week, etc. It was predetermined ahead of time.

Old Post 02-26-23 10:58PM
EPMD
Swing Artist

That steal in the 5th end was inexcusable. Did the rock pick? I don't know. I doubt it. I just think Jones reverted to a bit of the shaky form she had for the last few years, and it came at the worst possible time. She was incredible all week until the Final. In fairness, a lot of her shots in the Final were very difficult. Part of that was down to how good Team Canada was, part of it was how Jones' teammates didn't quite make all their shots, and part of it was just bad luck. I do think Team Jones threw away a potential huge advantage early on with some key misses to let Einarson off the hook. It was there for them to win, despite the final score.

I hope it's not the last we see of Jones. She's great for the tournament. Without her, it just wouldn't be the same.

Old Post 02-26-23 11:52PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Four in a row is incredibly impressive, and with the exact same lineup. Refreshing to see compared to nearly every other team which tinkers just for the sake of doing so. The best front end ever in Canadian women’s curling in my opinion. Never has there been two people that firstly are the best shooters at their position, but also both very powerful sweepers.

Getting something done on the world stage is the next step to move them up the all time list.

Nice week for Jones despite a shaky final, to take such a young team to this point. McCarville impressive too, though a good reflection of the state of women’s curling that a part time team is #3.

Last edited by Hack Weight on 02-27-23 at 12:36AM

Old Post 02-27-23 12:29AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBBruins
Knee-Slider

Scotties 2023

Congratulations Team Einarson! Winning 4 national titles in a row is quite an accomplishment, as is Manitoba having two teams in the Final. While Jones lost, she does have 6 rings, and the 4 young players have a bright future.

There are others on here far more versed in the game than I, but my 5 take aways from what I admit was the first time I have watched so much curling would be as follows (my wife really enjoys curling, so I viewed a number of games with her; in addition, with middle age setting in, I am thinking of hanging up the skates and trying curling next winter):

1. Curling involves a combination of physical skill and mental strategy, much like "chess on ice".
2. The dedication to the game demonstrated by these elite female curlers (the same for the men at the upcoming Brier) is outstanding, with frequent travel to bonspeils, practices, high level coaching, fitness, nutrition and mental preparation. All when even though they are the best there is at this sport in Canada, it is not as if they are paid well enough to make a living at it (they are not making millions like in other sports).
3. Not to be too critical, but it seemed to be the case in the playoffs (and during the week) that victory was determined more by which team made less mistakes versus the team who excelled and made great shots. Tonight was a prime example. Jones could not seal the deal in the 3rd or 4th, and instead of being ahead by 2 or 3, she trailed due to some untimely miscues. Einarson was not confident with her draw weight either. In other words, entertaining game, but probably not good enough to win Gold at the World's against Paetz or Hasselborg.
4. Building the sport throughout the country, as well as being inclusive and diverse, is obviously critical. At the same time, however, could the Scotties and Brier move to a format where there was a playoff between the 3 Northern teams, with only the winner getting a spot? What about the same approach, and 2 spots for the 4 Maritime Provinces? By doing this, room is created for 3 more high end teams (determined by wins or points on the WCT circuit or by whatever other factors are determined relevant). This would result in 6 Wild Cards, or the field could be reduced from 18 down to 16? Even 14? It is just that
from a TV standpoint (and no doubt for the players), it is not much fun watching (or playing) a game that is 10-1 after 5 ends.
5. Joanne Courtney got better and better over the course of the week. She was not shy to give her opinions, and shared insight into current trends in the game, which is a nice compliment to the experience of Russ Howard and Cathy Gauthier. As to Vic Rauter, he is a classic. Curling, Olympics, soccer, auto racing, football and even hockey. He has done it all, and how many Canadian broadcasters have been "roasted" by Will Ferrell? With Bryan Mudryk once again broadcasting a number of draws, (he does very well), it would not be surprising if a transition was on the horizon, with Vic (and maybe even Russ) deciding to slow it down (in the next year or two). If that happens, they deserve very accolade for their commitment to the sport and its players, organizers and fans.

Old Post 02-27-23 12:51AM
MBBruins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBBruins Find more posts by MBBruins Add MBBruins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Regarding #3, I agree the semi and final were more defined by one team making too many mistakes (in Jones' case it was her personally). But I don't think it means much for the worlds. Hasselborg has lost some finals due to bad play (her final against Jones in 2018 was...something). With home ice advantage, however, she has major unfinished business and has to be considered a higher favourite. And who can forget Tirinzoni at the Olympics last year? This can happen to any team. The advantage Tirinzoni has, as with Einarson here, is she doesn't have quite the same nerves or pressure.

Old Post 02-27-23 08:37AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tony Hladun
Harvey Hacksmasher

Watch Shannon Birchard sweep. She knows how to do directional sweeping.

Old Post 02-27-23 10:41AM
Tony Hladun is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Hladun Find more posts by Tony Hladun Add Tony Hladun to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hladun
Watch Shannon Birchard sweep. She knows how to do directional sweeping.

Yep but I would argue that Brianne Harris is even a little bit better and judges draw weight so well also. Lots of powerful sweepers this year!

Old Post 02-27-23 10:53AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

The best team won and Canada has it's best team going to the world's and I think this time they are so good and so consistent and have the experience that I'm betting they strike gold.

Old Post 02-27-23 02:23PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
The best team won and Canada has it's best team going to the world's

Who will be their fifth?

They've brought Krysten Karwacki in 2021 and 2022. Do you think they'll get to do that again for 2023 now all the way in Sweden, or do you think Curling Canada will meddle as they have done before and insert someone else?

Old Post 02-27-23 02:51PM
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

quote:

Who will be their fifth?

They've brought Krysten Karwacki in 2021 and 2022. Do you think they'll get to do that again for 2023 now all the way in Sweden, or do you think Curling Canada will meddle as they have done before and insert someone else?

It’s irrelevant. The 5th won’t play. I suppose with Harris pregnant it’s more of a possibility but there’s no reason to break up the team dynamic. The travelling circus that CC insists upon for the Olympics has done no good the last couple go arounds.

Old Post 02-27-23 10:42PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I can see the fifth invite going one of several ways:
* Krysten Karwacki, just like 2021 and 2022. She's also family for Coach Reid Carruthers.
* Kristin MacCuish (former teammate, played in 2023 Scotties as lead)
* Someone from next highest ranked CTRS team, i.e. Rachel Homan or Emma Miskew.
* Someone from 2023 Scotties finalist, i.e. Lauren Lenentine or Karlee Burgess.

Whoever it is, I'd bet that the fifth will in fact play a few games, whole or partial.

Old Post 02-28-23 02:01AM
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
I can see the fifth invite going one of several ways:
* Krysten Karwacki, just like 2021 and 2022. She's also family for Coach Reid Carruthers.
* Kristin MacCuish (former teammate, played in 2023 Scotties as lead)
* Someone from next highest ranked CTRS team, i.e. Rachel Homan or Emma Miskew.
* Someone from 2023 Scotties finalist, i.e. Lauren Lenentine or Karlee Burgess.

Whoever it is, I'd bet that the fifth will in fact play a few games, whole or partial.

It wouldn’t make sense to take a skip as a fifth if they can’t take Karwacki. They need a player who can sweep.

Old Post 02-28-23 10:58AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie
It wouldn’t make sense to take a skip as a fifth if they can’t take Karwacki. They need a player who can sweep.

Are you talking about Rachel Homan? If so, I'll point out that Homan can sweep, and that by some basic definition she's not even a skip nowadays anyway.

Also, remember that people used to be skeptical when the 4 skips (if you still want to call them that) got together. Taking another skip (if you still want to call Homan that) as their fifth is kind of on brand.

Old Post 02-28-23 11:51AM
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:

Are you talking about Rachel Homan? If so, I'll point out that Homan can sweep, and that by some basic definition she's not even a skip nowadays anyway.

Also, remember that people used to be skeptical when the 4 skips (if you still want to call them that) got together. Taking another skip (if you still want to call Homan that) as their fifth is kind of on brand.

Semantics. Homan has been skip for her entire career except for this year. I don’t consider her a strong sweeper anywhere near the capabilities of the players on Team Einarson. Therefore she wouldn’t be on my list for alternates if they can’t or don’t take Kristen.

The former skips have developed into very good sweepers regardless of original skepticism so I don’t get your point.

Old Post 02-28-23 12:10PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie
I don’t get your point.

My point is simple.

Team Einarson 2019: "4 skips on a team???"
Team Einarson 2023: "5 skips on a team!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Old Post 02-28-23 12:16PM
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:

My point is simple.

Team Einarson 2019: "4 skips on a team???"
Team Einarson 2023: "5 skips on a team!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I didn’t say anything about 5 skips on a team. I said I wouldn’t take a skip as a fifth player to the worlds. That’s not the same thing.

There is only one skip on Team Einarson in 2023. It’s been that way for a few years.

Old Post 02-28-23 12:27PM