Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > changes in players after Briar
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

changes in players after Briar

Sad to see Ryan leaving curling. Mike seemed to finally have a blended team again, Misfits (according to Brett Laing) sure didn't look misfit in the Briar. I thought Mike looked more relaxed than he had for a long time and the team played well. Who is going to take his place?

I notice on the teams section on here that it needs some updating. I read on a curling post that Brad Jacobs was going to play with Carruthers, but I think that was an old post even thought it was dated today as Jason Gunnlaugson is still shown on Carruthers team. He is long gone isn't he?

Was really impressed with Dunstone's team. And Colton Lott was a real gem to watch. It was a heartbreaking loss but that team is going to go somewhere and make Manitoba proud.

Not sure of other changes but looking forward to the rest of the season.

I felt that the teams were stressed under some of the new laws. But I guess we all have to adjust to the changes.

To these teams I wish you be best. It is time to see the younger ones rise up. BC team, great for their first time. I enjoyed watching Northern Ontario under Darren Moulding. Good job Darren. Now that Colin Hodgson is leaving who is taking his place?

Not sure of the changes on any of the women's teams but hope that the teams section will be updated to bring it current before the season is done.

Go Canada in the World's. Looks like there will be a few short nights watching the games in the early morning.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-17-23 12:15PM
Lovemycurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lovemycurling Click here to Send Lovemycurling a Private Message Find more posts by Lovemycurling Add Lovemycurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Re: changes in players after Briar

@Lovemycurling - I didn't want to quote since it would take up so much space lol.

I don't see Brent Laing stepping back yet. After their successful Brier, I think McEwan finds a competent third and he will have a competitive enough team for the next 2.5 years.

Jacobs joining Carruthers should be fun to see and should increase Reid's chances at going deeper in big events.

Team Dunstone is fun to watch, and it's nice to see Lott back in the men's game, and with Dunstone again. Watching them in the 2013 Canadian Juniors was a really fun experience (not to mention the silver and bronze medallists from that same event were represented at this year's Brier - Saunders from NS and Scoffin from AB then, Yukon now.) Also hoping Lottx2 gets over the hump this week and finally gets their mixed doubles gold.

No clue what happens in N.O with Jacobs snatched up.

Just random thoughts:
I wonder if we will see Team Gushue or another dominant team ignore residency rules since we can assume the 3 wild card teams will continue at the Brier. I'm not sure why any of them should have to follow residency rules since part of the reason they already get in based on CRTS. If the goal is to get to the Olympics and win/medal, then some of these folks can get more competition outside of the Brier (with less prestige - in Canada, of course) then I could see some just forming a team with whoever they want and competing on the tour, especially if said players has already won a Brier.

Old Post 03-18-23 10:44PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: changes in players after Briar

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
I wonder if we will see Team Gushue or another dominant team ignore residency rules

Curling Canada recently published a clarification regarding Team Canada, contrary to their previous clarifications.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...brier-1.6765288

Starting from 2023, Team Canada at Scotties/Brier doesn't have to abide by residency rules. The only requirement now is that at least 3 players are returning.

So, yeah, as long as Team Gushue keeps winning the Brier, they can ignore residency rules.

Old Post 03-19-23 04:17AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

^ I am aware, hence why I was speaking about the wild card teams, and the upcoming/continuous residences rule changes.

Old Post 03-19-23 06:12AM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prez
Knee-Slider

John Cullen saying big shakeups in the men's game across neighbouring provinces.

https://twitter.com/cullenoncurling...946892989222912

Has to be Ontario, either Manitoba or Quebec? Can't see McEwen going back to Manitoba but maybe teaming up with Gunner in Ontario? Or skipping Team Asselin?

Old Post 03-23-23 02:13PM
Prez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prez Find more posts by Prez Add Prez to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skid
Harvey Hacksmasher

Maybe David Murdoch will put together a HP team.
So maybe we can win a world or Olympic medal.

Old Post 03-23-23 11:45PM
Skid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skid Click here to Send Skid a Private Message Find more posts by Skid Add Skid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Skid
Maybe David Murdoch will put together a HP team

I doubt it. Nothing he has said indicates anything like that.

It should also be noted that Murdoch didn't come up with the squad system. That idea seems to be credited to Nigel Holl & David Leith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UHSqI5SN8U

Old Post 03-24-23 12:32AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

Bradley Theissen stepping away next year. Jaques Gauthier joining Team K. Koe for next season.

Old Post 03-24-23 10:57AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Mountains = molehills.

Old Post 03-28-23 12:53AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1
[B]
I realize he's a cousin of Tardi but how did he land this gig?

Gawd you're a **** disturber. He landed the gig because his cousin, who's like a brother to him, called him as soon as he heard Thiessen was taking the year off and told Jacques to get in touch with Koe. He did, and Koe was happy to have such a fine young curler join his team.

Old Post 03-28-23 04:15AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I'm not shocked to see Q Anon arrive on a curling forum but the level of absolute stupidity is still shocking.

Brad Thiessen hasn't tweeted about this? Colour me chocked since brad Thiessen has tweeted less than ten times in a year. And his last tweet? A Jan 25 tweet about the pressure of being away from family and mental health. But, no, Qurlingwatcher1 sees a conspiracy theory.

"DID HIS MOTHER HELP OUT?!" Maybe! Probably? So what if she did? So what if she called up Koe himself and suggested it? What would be wrong with that? In the end Kevin Koe is Kevin Koe and he sure as hell isn't going to do anything he doesn't want to.

I can only imagine what Qurlingwatcher 1 was saying back when Kevin Martin played. I'm sure the "WEF" and "Davos" were responsible for his endless parade of seconds, too.

Old Post 03-28-23 07:44AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

^ also to add, lol at claiming Brent Laing got the boot from team Koe post-Olympics. As if him and Kennedy both weren’t already leaving regardless after that season.

Old Post 03-28-23 02:31PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Well CurlngWatcher1, Tyler posted a statement on Insta:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqVs5t1p00n/

Sorry to disappoint you, CurlingWatcher1.

Old Post 03-28-23 07:25PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

St.georges adds Sinclair and larouche. To her team. Since Sinclair can't play provincials yet larouche will join them for provincials and possible Scotties. If the chemistry is good that wilbe a very good team next season.
Great add to bring back larouche. St.georges will benefit a great at deal from her experience

Old Post 03-29-23 09:09PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I'm gonna predict right now either Schneider joins Laycock or knapp. The out there idea is he leves Saskatchewan and joins mccewen

Old Post 03-29-23 09:11PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

McEwen joked about representing host province at back-to-back Briers. Now I want him to be in every Brier from now on representing host province until the day he retires.

Old Post 03-31-23 03:20AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Not sure whatcto make of the new team mccewen. Honestly thought Mike would either go back to manitoba or poach came from Epping. Maybe even team up with John himself

Few predictions of international teams I think could see change

Sixten totzek
Steffen walstad
Rebecca Morrison
Anna hasselborg
Tabitha peterson

Old Post 03-31-23 01:02PM
Rock2_YYZ
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1
Laing should skip his own team in Ontario. Howard throws last rock, Thiessen, and Scott Howard.

Oh I like where this is headed.

Glenn has to transition out of curling at some point, so maybe a 5 man team is the way to go.

And I have to assume this team plus Epping might be looking to optimize for this cycle. Going to be some competiton for talent as Ontario just got easier to win.

I love Scott playing back end. He's got a lot of skill and I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over the team at some point. I like bringing Brent on, but maybe to play 2nd or 3rd depending on if Glenn is skipping or not.

On the front end you have Mathers, March, Thiessen and Hart to choose from.

I would replace Mathers with Laing in the currrent configuration and bring on Thiessen as the 5th player who can play 2nd when Glenn isn't skipping and the others move down the line-up. Puts Brad on a good team that can also offer flexibility to help him balance his personal life.

Brent then has a path to transitioning to back end, to transition him out of sweeping and make better use of his mind and experience

Old Post 03-31-23 01:13PM
Rock2_YYZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock2_YYZ Find more posts by Rock2_YYZ Add Rock2_YYZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I would rather see Laing play more mixed doubles with Jones. The MD Super Series is expanding next season. I'd rather see them win some of those instead of another Scotties/Brier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDyhVh0CA-k&t=36m21s

Old Post 03-31-23 03:08PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Team Epping will part ways with Scott Chadwick at the end of the season.

Old Post 03-31-23 03:52PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
Team Epping will part ways with Scott Chadwick at the end of the season.

I wouldn't mind a reunion of the old Scott Ncdonald rink; Chadwick, Forget, Beuk w/ Mcdonald.

Old Post 04-01-23 08:29PM
GregJP
Swing Artist

Saskatchewan is easier to win than Ontario you blathering idiot.

Old Post 04-02-23 01:23PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Jason Camm (Mat's brother), will be Team Epping's newest member for the upcoming season.

Old Post 04-02-23 02:18PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

I can’t seem to go past page 1 of the forum’s threads, so with that said: Mackenzie Zacharias is leaving Team Jones at the end of the season, and according to the JJ press release, is taking a break from competitive curling. I doubt this will last a whole season and I suspect she will be skipping again much sooner than later.

Old Post 04-10-23 08:06AM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Not sure whatcto make of the new team mccewen. Honestly thought Mike would either go back to manitoba or poach came from Epping. Maybe even team up with John himself

Few predictions of international teams I think could see change

Sixten totzek
Steffen walstad
Rebecca Morrison
Anna hasselborg
Tabitha peterson

Scotland doesn't have "teams" in the traditional sense.

They'll build something around Morrison. Probably Sophie Jackson lead, Hailey Duff second, Jen Dodds third and Morrison skip. Sinclair and Aitken turfed out.

Old Post 04-10-23 10:10AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote