Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > The Pit > The 'MEGA' JJ Thread
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

"Oh baby I hear the blues a callin', tossed salad and scrambled eggs.
And bla bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla......."

(Long drawn out breath.) "Sighhhhh!"

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-03-12 05:14PM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Powerful N.S. women's curling team to reform, looks to represent Canada in Sochi
By: Ryan Van Horne, The Canadian Press

Posted: 02/12/2012 7:52 PM | Comments: 1 (including replies)

0 0 ShareNewPrint E–mail Report Error HALIFAX - After six years apart, one of the most successful teams in Canadian women's curling history is getting back together — with a twist.

Colleen Jones and Kim Kelly will join forces with skip Mary Anne Arsenault to form a powerful Nova Scotia team looking to qualify for the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

From 1999 to 2004, the team skipped by Jones with Kelly as third, Arsenault as second and Nancy Delahunt as lead, won five Canadian championships – including four in a row – and two world championships.

But the Mayflower Curling Club foursome never represented Canada at an Olympic Games, missing out in 2002 and 2006.

"Really, that is the ultimate motivator; that's the one thing we haven't put on our resume," Arsenault said.

The team broke up after the 2006 season, but Jones offered her services to Arsenault last week, prompting a team meeting.

"I was sick of losing and figured that we needed a bit of a firecracker," Arsenault said. "Then Colleen walked into the picture."

Arsenault met with Jones Sunday afternoon, and the reunion was on.

Jones has offered to be the second or third, with her and Kelly yet to settle what roles they will play on the revamped team. Current Mayflower lead Jenn Baxter will stay on, while current third Stephanie McVicar is mulling an invite to remain as a spare and Delahunt has offered to join the team as a coach or manager.

"Mary Anne is the skip and she's driving the bus," Jones said. "Mary Anne is such a strong thrower and she definitely has the ability to be one of the best skips out there. You see how clean she throws and she has every shot in her arsenal."

One of the motivations of the Mayflower foursome was seeing Winnipeg's Jeff Stoughton win the Brier and the world championship in 2011.

Stoughton's rink represented Canada at the world championship in 1999 in Saint John, N.B., when the men's and women’s events were together. That's the first year the Jones rink represented Canada.

"We kind of thought, 'If they can do it again, so can we,'" Arsenault said.

Jones has wanted to play with Arsenault for a while and both are aware of the chemistry they have.

"We've never lost when we've curled together," Jones said. "We're probably yin and yang to each other. I think we complement each other in a nice way, I think we can bring out the best in each other."

She sees her role on the team as providing support and the benefit of experience.

After a brief absence, Jones returned to competitive curling and won this year's Nova Scotia senior women's curling championship with Delahunt – something observed closely by their former teammates.

"Colleen is magic," Kelly said. "She has this way of winning."

Kelly is excited about the reunion and says their time apart has made them feel invigorated.

"We needed the break, it is hard to keep up that success even though it was fun — but it started to be not fun after a while," Kelly said.

Arsenault consulted a friend who asked her: if she could pick one person from Nova Scotia to join her rink, who would it be?

"Colleen's name was the name that jumped right out and there was no close second," Arsenault said.

All elite curlers have the technical skills, but winning comes down to how they deal with adversity and pressure when the game is on the line.

"I think there's a big difference between those that are motivated by that and those that fear that," Arsenault said. "Colleen has no fear."

Arsenault won the Nova Scotia championship in 2008, but has not been back to the Canadian championship since.

As much as she's enjoyed what she calls her "very Zen team, she realized that to get to the next level, she needs somebody to fire the team up and that’s where Jones comes in.

"There's no motivator like achievement," said the 43-year-old Arsenault. "We've got lots left. Age is not a factor and maybe it's even an enhancer."

Jones is 51, Kelly, 49, Delahunt, 52, and Baxter is 24."

GO!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.45.36.197

Old Post 02-13-12 09:41AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

Nice post, but wrong friggin Jones. And not even one mention of Kelly wood.)

Old Post 02-13-12 09:40PM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

I just came across these thoughts from our dear friend UpYerKilt and found it way too funny not to share.

These are direct quotes in response to Brock Virtue's decision to break up his team and start something new:

His decisions are his own and he doesn't need to be judged by armchair “experts”

You can bet a talk with the other future team members happened before this loss in the playdowns.

It's his life, not yours... look down on him if you want I don't

He sees a stronger chance of getting to a brier with better curlers.

Maybe you should just sit back and let the answers come in instead of filling in all the blanks yourself. One thing is for sure... a GOOD skip knows exactly hot far each and every one of his Team can go... and he obviously thinks the group he had just reached their max. That happens in sports.

Compare this to UYK's well-known and oft-repeated opinions on Jennifer Jones' decision to replace Cathy O two seasons ago. Logical consistency, anyone? I just thought I should preserve this for the ages before UYK realizes the error of her ways and deletes all her posts as usual.

Old Post 02-14-12 05:53AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Thumbs up Thanks for the Shout Out

aw gee.. where did your sense of humour go doubletake..?

there are zero parallels in a skip changing Teams and a Team Canada member being guillotined by "friends" !

Let's see Two seasons ago..

I've moved on.. maybe you should try it!

Old Post 02-14-12 07:36AM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

My sense of humour hasn't gone anywhere, UYK, you just don't seem to realize that you're the biggest joke around here.

Old Post 02-14-12 07:54AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Cool Hey Cool

happy I can bring a smile to your face.. enjoy the laughs!

Old Post 02-14-12 07:55AM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrWho
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
My sense of humour hasn't gone anywhere, UYK, you just don't seem to realize that you're the biggest joke around here.

x2

Old Post 02-14-12 10:26AM
DrWho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrWho Click here to Send DrWho a Private Message Find more posts by DrWho Add DrWho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Cool Good

Two happy people.. Mission Accomplished

Old Post 02-14-12 10:33AM
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Hey, why did you turn off your PM?

Old Post 02-14-12 10:36AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

What about the people like yourself, that dislike JJones?
Do you feel she's just trying to get media play and score points with the public, since many think she's cold and heartless the way she dealt with COC?
I am a fan. This does not change the way I feel about her.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.144.38.247

Old Post 02-18-12 01:25PM
Unregistered

You're Excused.

I remember more than one of your posts stating Jennifer Jones had zero class.
Now you're calling her classy?
Excuse my scepticism.
Are you bi-polar?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.144.38.247

Old Post 02-18-12 03:15PM
InOffFor4
Harvey Hacksmasher

I was actually very surprised to read that little tid bit in the edmonton sun about JJ. I know it's really none of our business, but does anyone have any further info?

Old Post 02-19-12 11:33AM
InOffFor4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for InOffFor4 Find more posts by InOffFor4 Add InOffFor4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

I am not a great fan of JJ, (I do accept her great talent), but I am pretty sure she would have all her ducks in a row over this. And if not, and she won,only to be stripped of the title because of residency, it would be pretty cheesy.

Old Post 02-19-12 12:06PM
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

If you want the scoop on all of the dirty laundry related to the divorce, check the twitter tweets here:
@vikileaks30 :-/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...article2342111/

Old Post 02-19-12 12:07PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

Vic Toews was married to JJ? I KNEW IT!!

Old Post 02-19-12 12:20PM
InOffFor4
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
If you want the scoop on all of the dirty laundry related to the divorce, check the twitter tweets here:
@vikileaks30 :-/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...article2342111/

That twitter account has been terminated due to the Vic Toews fiasco. Any other suggestions? lol

Kinda surprised that this just came out now consdiering the high profile that JJ has.

Old Post 02-19-12 12:26PM
InOffFor4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for InOffFor4 Find more posts by InOffFor4 Add InOffFor4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
InOffFor4
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by hatman
I remember Brent Laing having to miss an Ontario final because his wife was giving birth. That means he may still be married. Can't find anything to suggest otherwise, but I understand something like a divorce would be too personal for anyone to print. Oh wait... (of course, it's acceptable in the case of Toews, because it shows he's a hypocrite, but that's another matter)

I believe Laing is also now divorced according to an article I read online.

Old Post 02-19-12 01:32PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by dinorock2005
I am not a great fan of JJ, (I do accept her great talent), but I am pretty sure she would have all her ducks in a row over this. And if not, and she won,only to be stripped of the title because of residency, it would be pretty cheesy.

Since shes with her team and competing in Red Deer, i'd say theres .1 in a trillion of that happening.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.83.43.125

Old Post 02-19-12 01:59PM
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by InOffFor4

I believe Laing is also now divorced according to an article I read online.

Brent Laing sited at the Scotties (albiet seated with Randy Ferby).

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 02-19-12 05:42PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by celtichound

Why......because he's dating Randy......come on we're an enlightened group here .

Randy & Craig make a lovely couple. Who is Randy watching? Does JJ have 2 boyfriends

Old Post 02-19-12 06:37PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Since shes with her team and competing in Red Deer, i'd say theres .1 in a trillion of that happening.

Yep. Ducks in a row.

Old Post 02-19-12 08:25PM
Unregistered

So when will the Homan & Jones rumours heat up? ... soon, if she doesnt win the scott.

I think Lang lives in Ottawa, same city as rachel

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.83.43.125

Old Post 02-19-12 09:34PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

This thread was temporarily shutdown to clean up the mess left by several posters. Two unregistered IP Addresses have been banned from portions of this site, and other CurlingZone network websites and will remain that way until this season is over.

The media have reported that Jennifer is dating Brent Laing, and discussing this topic is acceptable, but there will be no derogatory comments made about past relationships as these (and all other) players also maintain a non-curling private life that does not deserve to be disparaged in a public forum.

This goes for all derogarty or personal insults directed at the curlers. We will begin banning IP addresses for personal attacks on others, including general negative comments about looks. Criticism, dislike for someone and honest debate will always be acceptable,

Think about what you post, comments on here get read by some of the curlers, and you need to consider how you would feel if something like this was posted about you for all your friends and family to read?

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 02-21-12 06:26PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Thank you Gerry.

All curlers can go and watch each other's games if they so choose.

Old Post 02-21-12 07:17PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote