Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > The Pit > Dino's Announcement. (Stealing Colleen Jones' Thunder Again.)
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

Dino's Announcement. (Stealing Colleen Jones' Thunder Again.)

I was hoping to sneak out of CZ with the same class as Statman. (Leave, only to return to post on occassion.) But I have never had very much class. So I will use this space to announce my retirement from my position as CZ's resident fool.

I am not so naive to belive that censorship is never neccesary. Sometimes you have to cover your ass. But there was no reason to pull the whole MegaJJ thread over a few "nudge nudge wink wink" posts. The whole move reeks of favourtism and privelege, two things I have been fighting against all my life. The silence from CZ over this matter is the proverbial last straw. This is all I will say about this. (Except this. When censorship is exposed, that is when the **** hits the fan.)

I will thank Dallas and Gerry for giving me a platform to express myself. And to rekindle the love of writing that I had before I dropped out of high school and took a trade. Though I still have trouble with structure, spelling, and grammer, (not to mention the temptation of swearing like a construction worker), when I look back at what I wrote when I joined in 2005, it is apparent that I have come a long way baby. Thanks again.

I will probably sneak in here as a hated unregistered every once in a while, if only to read the words of people I admire. Tapback, Jamcan, Curlerbroad, Tuck, Nelski, Legend, Morgans pictures, of course J-Ho, (we will stay in touch buddy), and even Kilt. (So many more.) But I will post no more.

CZ to me was always like sitting behind the glass at the rink. The conversation always flowed from serious curling talk, to politics, current events, jokes and even girls. (Funny how it is so much easier to address the girls when they are behind the glass eh!) And the people who avoided all other conversation except serious curling talk were the same people who were going home alone to Swansons, Say Yes To The Dress, and at least ten cats. For this reason I hope someone picks up the site fool mantra, and takes the job as seriously as I did. For nobody should have to watch Say Yes To The Dress.

Good luck to you all.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-20-12 09:54PM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I understand and I will miss you. I have a fear that CZ may be selling out to certain curling organizations. I truly hope this is not the case.

Old Post 02-20-12 09:59PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

I hope you sleep on this and reconsider Dino. Your humor and banter is always welcomed here and if you really do leave, CZ will be poorer for it.

I await an explanation as I have certainly seen much more controversial diatribe on this site that did not get the EX-NAY button.

Old Post 02-20-12 10:18PM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I think that the CZ moderators are hoping to get hired eventually by the cca in some capacity and for that to happen you must toe the party line.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 12.180.82.192

Old Post 02-20-12 10:20PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

The silence is the last straw? You gave it 4 hours. It's possible they have some sort of life away from the interwebs...Thank God you're not in some sort of position that involves a big red button and nuclear bombs.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.161.2.211

Old Post 02-20-12 11:09PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Whaaaaaa. Now I will have to find you at the Sktoon Jazz fest... I know.. you're the one hanging out on a Bess Balcony.

I quit CZ once. The time Fry and Gould pissed in someones curling bag somewhere in S.Alta. Got flamed for speaking my mind. Since then, I have been presenting an alter ego. BbBwaahhh.

This site is so tame. I am shocked that the MegaJJ thread got pulled. There was some funny stuff in there. IT WAS A JOKE FFS.

Since the big crash, a year ago, I've noticed several changes in the site - system integrity and also, I guess content supervision. SpankSpank. It's free. We get what we get.

Lurk On Dino.... we'lll find ya. :-) And we'll miss ya - as we do Statman.

Old Post 02-20-12 11:21PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

zzzzzzz-SNORT-huh? dino quit? WTF? CZ put me to sleep this year, what have I missed dammit!

Say it isn't so Dinooooo

Old Post 02-20-12 11:39PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Hey Dino, and others in this thread.

Just to respond to the JJ thread being pulled, a line was crossed in the thread that I find unacceptable and I would hope you understand my reasoning.

The hatred of JJ on this site is sometimes overwhelming and it can be difficult to read and deal with, but people are allowed to have their own opinions.

What is not acceptable is when we start discussing and slagging people's personal lives outside the sport. The article discussing JJ's current boyfriend is borderline, but when it started slagging her for current and past relationships, things totally unrelated to curling, that is not going to take a pass on this website.

This is not an appeasement to the CCA (they're not happy with us posting all the livescores here), or anything other then protecting the players who play this sport. They're not professional athletes and they don't need rumours like this posted in a public forum about their public lives.

I pulled the whole thread as I didn't have time to deal with cleaning it up, maybe bring it back cleaned out, but I'm in the middle of several major events right now.

Dino, I hope we don't lose you as I do enjoy your banter here, and have come to respect your offerings.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 02-21-12 02:52AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Re: Dino's Announcement. (Stealing Colleen Jones' Thunder Again.)

quote:
Originally posted by dinorock2005
And the people who avoided all other conversation except serious curling talk were the same people who were going home alone to Swansons, ...

There's nothing wrong with Swanson TV dinners. I'm having one now for breakfast.

Old Post 02-21-12 09:10AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

C'mon Man...

...reconsider. I agree with you that censorship is not what the internet needs, but I also agree with the CZ moderators that peoples love-lives are off limits. Dislike JJ for dumping COC or sometimes stinking the arena out, but who she sleeps with is no one's business.
Without you, the ratio of "normal" regulars vs the nutbars is narrowing.
Start a new Mega JJones thread. Tell everyone how JJones will soon be the new Team Canada.

Old Post 02-21-12 09:32AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

Good post Gerry and exactly as probably most of us assumed. I can see that it would be hard to glean out all the crap "quotes" and clean it up.

I just cannot see how people can be so hateful to JJ when they do not even know her. Sometimes the internet is not such a wonderful thing. Put yourself in JJ's shoes and think for a second how you would feel if you were reading that garbage about yourself.

Come back Dino!!

Last edited by Tap Back on 02-21-12 at 10:34AM

Old Post 02-21-12 10:23AM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Even if Dino did come back, he's not going to be successful. His posting style is too defensive. Most of his posting Championships in the late 90's and early 2000's were flukes anyway.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.70.34.230

Old Post 02-21-12 10:41AM
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Even if Dino did come back, he's not going to be successful. His posting style is too defensive. Most of his posting Championships in the late 90's and early 2000's were flukes anyway.

There's an allegory here I just can't seem to put my finger on it though.

Old Post 02-21-12 10:56AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Personally I wish CZ would do much more to curb the vile hate that is posted on this site against one of the best women's curlers to ever grace the game.

There are several haters on this site that I wish would 'retire'.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.98.232.36

Old Post 02-21-12 11:22AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Every sport has an athlete that everyone hates. In Figure Skating, Patrick Chan is subject to pretty nasty comments on many of the sites. Football (American and Europoean) has their players that everyone hates...haters won't go away - but opinions are allowed.

If you don't like it, just ignore it or report it.

Old Post 02-21-12 02:08PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

There is a huge difference between opinion and personal attacks. This would be a much better site if people stuck to their opinions.

Imagine a site without:

JJ attacks
TSN complaints
Name calling

It might actually be a site where people talked about CURLING!!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.249.116.14

Old Post 02-21-12 02:19PM
Boris Karloff

So...

Where did Statman go? I know he had issues with UYK. Maybe he passed away!!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 140.230.10.125

Old Post 02-21-12 02:28PM
Unregistered

It's a sad, sad day

It's a sad, sad day when one of the most entertaining, fair-minded, level-headed, good humoured posters on this site is driven away because of a basic lack of respect for his expression through the mega JJ thread.

You'll notice that DinoRock is upset because the entire thread disappeared, which essentailly negates anything that anyone had to say on the thread. Apparently, we are not allowed to discuss the great Jennifer Jones, even in the Pit.

I've noticed throughout the years that is is okay to name which female curlers are too fat for televsion, who shouldn't represent Canada at the world's because "they chew their gum like a cow," which curlers have no right to be at the tournament, who's too old, too fat, too slow, too homely, whose glasses need to be replaced because they make her look old, etc, etc, etc. And that's not even in the Pit.

We can talk about preganancies and childbirths, because apparently that's not too personal, but heaven forbid that anyone should discuss an Edmonton newpaper item that suggests that two grown, unmarried, consenting adults who are public figures (yes, that's what happens when you play in several national televised events and you put your mug up for endorsement money), might be involved in a romantic relationship. If they don't want anyone to know they are seeing eachother, why do they go out in high profile, public curling events together? What did they think would happen, no one would notice?

It's a sad, sad day when a legitimate human interest curling news story is pulled from the CZ forums (from the Pit, no less) and we lose my favorite poster because of it. I was really looking forward to Dino's (and others') posts once we got to an all Saskatchewan Scotties final. Dino, we hardly knew ye.

I know there will be many of you who will dismiss my opinio because I am unregistered. I tried to register, but the link wouldn't work. Any way, you can call me
Pipefitter

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.231.208.72

Old Post 02-21-12 04:36PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: It's a sad, sad day

quote:
I've noticed throughout the years that is is okay to name which female curlers are too fat for televsion, who shouldn't represent Canada at the world's because "they chew their gum like a cow," which curlers have no right to be at the tournament, who's too old, too fat, too slow, too homely, whose glasses need to be replaced because they make her look old, etc, etc, etc. And that's not even in the Pit.

None of this is acceptable and is removed/editted when necessary.

quote:
[B]We can talk about preganancies and childbirths, because apparently that's not too personal, but heaven forbid that anyone should discuss an Edmonton newpaper item that suggests that two grown, unmarried, consenting adults who are public figures (yes, that's what happens when you play in several national televised events and you put your mug up for endorsement money), might be involved in a romantic relationship. If they don't want anyone to know they are seeing eachother, why do they go out in high profile, public curling events together? What did they think would happen, no one would notice?

There is nothing wrong with Jennifer and Brent being named as seeing each other, and that is not why the thread was pulled. It was what came after, and if you didn't see that, then you have no right to comment. The comments were despicable in a public forum.

I apologize for pulling the entire thread, but I did not have time to deal with the offending posts at the time, and it couldn't be left up any longer.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 02-21-12 05:21PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Re: It's a sad, sad day

quote:
It's a sad, sad day when one of the most entertaining, fair-minded, level-headed, good humoured posters on this site is driven away because of a basic lack of respect for his expression through the mega JJ thread.
dino was not "driven away".. he decided to pull a hissy-fit because a Thread that was written LAST season was needing to be babysit by Moderators who are trying to keep stats and videos etc going for the 99% of posters who visit this site form all over the world... for CURLING
The Thread is back so his pouting worked ..

Old Post 02-21-12 07:01PM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Thank you

Thank you, Gerry, for taking the time to respond to my post, for setting the record straight regarding what is acceptable and why the thread was pulled, and for reinstating the Mega JJ thread. Now let's hope we get Dino back.
Thanks again,
Pipefitter

Old Post 02-21-12 07:15PM
Unregistered

UpYerKilt

Cheer up, Upyers. I see your IP address still gets through.
Pipefitter

Old Post 02-21-12 07:18PM
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Thumbs up you bet

and it will continue to do so.. so either log in and press Ignore on my Profile or suffer Baby!

Old Post 02-21-12 07:19PM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I appreciate Gerry's reply but find it a bit hypocritical as ML's posts continued the past few years with his "albino girls" etc. names that I find worse than the "idea" that two consenting adults find themselves together.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 76.3.0.167

Old Post 02-21-12 07:33PM
Marvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Well Dino, I rarely come to this site anymore (other than to check the scores) but I was curious to see what 'Dino's Announcement' was all about since I have enjoyed your posts in the past.

Imagine my surprise at the reason for your retirement since the enjoyment of the forums was completely ruined for me by the very posts/threads that you are all up in arms about being deleted.

Now if you'll excuse me, the microwave just beeped, my Swansons is ready.

Old Post 02-21-12 07:52PM
Marvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin Find more posts by Marvin Add Marvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote