Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Olympic Qualification Event
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
FleuryFan
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Fleury fan and Hailstone.
Members since 2018.
Less than a dozen posts.
All of a sudden show up in the same thread.
Coincidence??
I’m sure Fresca and Manitoba Idiot know for sure.

Yeah no, I'm not either of them...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-17-21 04:36PM
FleuryFan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FleuryFan Find more posts by FleuryFan Add FleuryFan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

This is incorrect.

In all officially published standings after round robin, KOR is #2 and JPN is #3

The fact that JPN had hammer does not 100% prove anything. Rule C8(f) says that if there's a rematch between two teams with equal win-loss record, the team who won the round robin game had the choice of either stone color or LSFE.

In this case, JPN beat KOR in round robin, and obviously they chose LSFE, but they could've chosen color instead, which would have given KOR the LSFE. It could've gone either way, but JPN made the traditional choice of LSFE.

Thanks for the clarification. I like how the rematch rule effectively prioritizes H2H over DSC.

Old Post 12-17-21 04:45PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bulls Eye
I like how the rematch rule effectively prioritizes H2H over DSC.

As a general rule of thumb, as far as I can tell, DSC can never decide who has LSFE.

When there's no H2H (e.g. crossover from two separate pools), LSFE is decided by either ranking higher within your pool, or a brand new LSD. They might use DSC to decide which team can choose either first/second practice or stone color, but that's it.

--------------------

Oops, I was wrong! There is one scenario where DSC is used to decide LSFE: the rubber match when tied 1W-1L in H2H after double round robin!

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-17-21 at 05:50PM

Old Post 12-17-21 05:25PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

If Korea qualifies, 8 of the top 11 ranked teams in the world would be at the Olympics with only Fleury, Einarson and Homan missing.

Korea would also attract a big audience (important since they didn't qualify in men's and MD). It would be also good karma considering all that they have been through.
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020...e-garlic-girls/

Old Post 12-17-21 05:46PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
good karma

Eh... this is just wishful thinking.

I don't like comparing victims of abuse and see who got it worse, but the original Team Korea from 2014 Olympics (Gim Un-chi) suffered sexual abuse, which I think most people agree is worse than verbal abuse/theft/micromanagement.

https://www.si.com/curling/news/cur...banned-for-life
"One month after the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, the five members of the Korean women’s team threatened to quit in protest over alleged sexual abuse by assistant coach"

Gim Un-chi won the Korean national championship in 2020, but unfortunately 2020 World Women's was canceled due to pandemic. Kim Eun-jung defeated them in 2021.

I think most people would say that unfortunately good karma did not pull through for Gim Un-chi.

Old Post 12-17-21 06:04PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FleuryFan
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
If Korea qualifies, 8 of the top 11 ranked teams in the world would be at the Olympics with only Fleury, Einarson and Homan missing.

Korea would also attract a big audience (important since they didn't qualify in men's and MD). It would be also good karma considering all that they have been through.
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020...e-garlic-girls/

Agreed, Team Kim has had a tough path since the 2018 Olympics due to their coaching staff. It’s such a shame as they are such a wonderful team. Winning tomorrow and qualifying for Beijing would be a huge accomplishment for the team after all the adversity they’ve faced over this last quadrennial. Hoping they pull out the win!

Old Post 12-17-21 06:08PM
FleuryFan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FleuryFan Find more posts by FleuryFan Add FleuryFan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Fortunately Fujisawa and Team won! Sometimes a loss stokes the fire. Now Korea faces a tricky Latvia

Yes, I stand corrected. Fujisawa was a true leader today, almost single-handedly pulling her team through the first half. By the second half everyone was running on all cylinders, and the Kims were simply no match for that.

This Japan team is definitely a medal threat at the Olympics. But you just never know what Fujisawa will show up on any given day.

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Perhaps they’ll behave themselves this time.

I assure you that I am neither of those people. I am just a fickle curling fan that pops in and out whenever the Olympics roll around. :p

Last edited by hailstone on 12-17-21 at 07:39PM

Old Post 12-17-21 07:35PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

Eh... this is just wishful thinking.

I don't like comparing victims of abuse and see who got it worse, but the original Team Korea from 2014 Olympics (Gim Un-chi) suffered sexual abuse, which I think most people agree is worse than verbal abuse/theft/micromanagement.]

If it's not a good idea to do then don't do it. Posts don't write themselves.

Old Post 12-17-21 09:11PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
If it's not a good idea to do then don't do it.

You're right. I definitely could've made my point better.

I just personally don't like it when "karma" is used in this manner, to hope that something good will come because something bad had already happened. That's just not how things work, and it's especially objectionable in this case because the bad things were the result of a known systemic problem that still has not been addressed adequately.

That's a lot of personal baggage on my part that does not belong in this thread, though.

Old Post 12-17-21 11:30PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

You're right. I definitely could've made my point better.

I just personally don't like it when "karma" is used in this manner, to hope that something good will come because something bad had already happened. That's just not how things work, and it's especially objectionable in this case because the bad things were the result of a known systemic problem that still has not been addressed adequately.

That's a lot of personal baggage on my part that does not belong in this thread, though.

I don't care for the idea of karma either, other than casually. But this is a case where the Korean curling scene has such a tragic history I can feel some cosmic justice that the country, either team, is back.

Old Post 12-18-21 08:56AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

So, Korean women got the last berth. Go Canada Go. Now it's between CZE and DEN for the men.

Last edited by nelski on 12-18-21 at 11:02AM

Old Post 12-18-21 11:00AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I recommend watching the 2020 Korean national championship final between Gim Un-chi and Kim Eun-jung if you can find it. You can find clips on twitter.

https://twitter.com/snowedsmile/sta...072803856998400

It's also interesting to see if they'd still be called Garlic Girls in 2022, even though they're now representing Gangneung, not Uiseong.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.co...4171200409.html

Old Post 12-18-21 02:54PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
It's also interesting to see if they'd still be called Garlic Girls in 2022, even though they're now representing Gangneung, not Uiseong

A reply to a World Curling tweet today indicates they don't like it anymore but a Korean reply is unclear. One says they now preferr "Curlvengers". Which is never catching on. Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/snowedsmile/sta...253440286146560

Old Post 12-18-21 07:08PM
Filip
Knee-Slider

Ready to experience Live Cyber Basketball (365livesport.life/cyber-basketball)? Visit 365LiveSport to catch all the virtual basketball action. This platform offers a dynamic environment where you can enjoy the game, place bets, and be part of the growing community of virtual sports fans.

Don't miss out on the chance to witness the future of basketball unfold in the virtual arena. Head to 365LiveSport and get ready for a slam dunk of virtual excitement!

Old Post 01-03-24 06:20AM
Filip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Filip Find more posts by Filip Add Filip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote