Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > Viterra Championship - MB Mens - Feb 8-12/17, Portage
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TDR
Hitting Paint

Viterra Championship - MB Mens - Feb 8-12/17, Portage

Based on the press conference and the draw, I think the seeds are this:

1 - Carruthers
2 - McEwen
3 - Dunstone
4 - Lyburn
5 - Gunnlaugson
6 - Dennis Bohn
7 - Peters
8 - David Bohn
9 - Calvert
10 - Loreth
11 - McIntyre
12 - Grassie
13 - Ryan
14 - Atkins
15 - Marnoch
16 - Muntain
17 - Oryniak
18 - Irwin
19 - Neufeld
20 - Forrester
21 - Foster
22 - Bale
23 - Ewasko
24 - Freeman
25 - Baker
26 - Pauls
27 - Graham
28 - Restall
29 - Renwick
30 - Fisher
31 - Mikolajek
32 - Parsons

Link to the event is here: http://viterrachampionship.ca/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-04-17 11:22AM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MB Tucker
Harvey Hacksmasher

One of the best fields in years! I honestly would not be surprised if anyone in the top 10 won. Obviously Reid and Mike are the Favs but should be a great week! Great to see depth back in the Peg!!

Old Post 02-06-17 10:45AM
MB Tucker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MB Tucker Click here to Send MB Tucker a Private Message Visit MB Tucker's homepage! Find more posts by MB Tucker Add MB Tucker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Why does manitoba have 3-4 times as many teams in the provincials than some other provinces?

Old Post 02-06-17 11:35AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Why does manitoba have 3-4 times as many teams in the provincials than some other provinces?

Like provincial healthcare, the individual provinces are allowed to implement their own system to determine a winner.

Old Post 02-06-17 11:56AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stumpy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by MB Tucker
One of the best fields in years! I honestly would not be surprised if anyone in the top 10 won. Obviously Reid and Mike are the Favs but should be a great week! Great to see depth back in the Peg!!

Let's be honest, it would be a complete shock to see anyone outside of the top 2 win this thing. It's not to say they can't win, but you can't honestly say that a win by someone else would leave you with no surprise.

Old Post 02-06-17 03:06PM
Stumpy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stumpy Click here to Send Stumpy a Private Message Find more posts by Stumpy Add Stumpy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

First of the top 5 seeds to lose was on the morning draw Thursday, where Grassie upset Gunnlaugson.

Old Post 02-09-17 12:26PM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

According to the Wpg Free Press, Gunnlaugson's lead broke his broom in frustration in the 5th end, wasn't allowed to replace it, so just sat and watched after throwing his rocks for the remainder of the game.

Old Post 02-09-17 02:12PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I just drilled through the history of the Oryniak team who are perched to qualify for the second leg of the Manitoba Viterra Championship. Purdy, AJ and Darren are seasoned guys who have placed a young Oryniak (not the youngest! who did well a Provincial Jrs) at Skip. Some of the teams that these three middle-agers have played with: Sigurdson, Neufeld, Coleman, Bohn, Boehmer. Riach, Kirkness, Harrison, Restall, Gauthier. and Kuran. I like this team. Two young Oryniuks are emerging. Kinda reminds me of the Hartung and Heidt legacies in SK.
EDIT: They lost in the qualifying game Friday night. Good run, fellas.

Last edited by nelski on 02-10-17 at 09:57PM

Old Post 02-10-17 03:01PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by TDR
According to the Wpg Free Press, Gunnlaugson's lead broke his broom in frustration in the 5th end, wasn't allowed to replace it, so just sat and watched after throwing his rocks for the remainder of the game.

Stupid rule, and one that is not used in any other sport that I can think of. Hockey players often break sticks in frustration, baseball players break bats... tennis players break racquets... and all are, of course, allowed to replace them.
In golf, I don't believe you're allowed to replace a club broken in frustration - but this is likely because you've got a bunch of other clubs in the bag.

I don't want to see a bunch of 'perfectly behaved' people on the ice where everyone is basically the same person - because it's artificial. I prefer honest expressions of individual character to homogenized automatons.

Curling should have a rule like tennis, where you get a warning if you break your racquet in frustration, and the penalties escalate from there each time a racquet is broken in the same match. The second time, it's a point penalty, then a game penalty, etc.
In curling, a warning could be given the first time, then if it happens again in the same game, the player is not allowed to sweep the next rock, then if it happens again, the player is not allowed to sweep the entire next end, etc.

I understand about the entire broom pad issue - but it's usually not the pad that will break. So just make sure that the player who breaks his broom puts the original pad on his replacement broom.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 02-10-17 11:57PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Stupid rule, and one that is not used in any other sport that I can think of. Hockey players often break sticks in frustration, baseball players break bats... tennis players break racquets... and all are, of course, allowed to replace them.
In golf, I don't believe you're allowed to replace a club broken in frustration - but this is likely because you've got a bunch of other clubs in the bag.

I don't want to see a bunch of 'perfectly behaved' people on the ice where everyone is basically the same person - because it's artificial. I prefer honest expressions of individual character to homogenized automatons.

Curling should have a rule like tennis, where you get a warning if you break your racquet in frustration, and the penalties escalate from there each time a racquet is broken in the same match. The second time, it's a point penalty, then a game penalty, etc.
In curling, a warning could be given the first time, then if it happens again in the same game, the player is not allowed to sweep the next rock, then if it happens again, the player is not allowed to sweep the entire next end, etc.

I understand about the entire broom pad issue - but it's usually not the pad that will break. So just make sure that the player who breaks his broom puts the original pad on his replacement broom.

This is a perfect eloquent summary of my feelings on this topic too. If we want curling to appeal to the younger audience we have to realize over the top punishments like this, need to go.

Curling can be dull to the outsiders. The people who don't understand or appreciate the intricacies. Trying to take away the human emotion is just not what we need to do to grow this sport.

Old Post 02-11-17 04:13AM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

One of the more rediculous rules. Have watched curling for 40 plus years, 100's of games and have not seen that many brooms broken. Half of them would be Vic Peters and Ben Hebert. The penalty now is so far out of whack relative to the offense, it's Really not very appropriate in today's "sports" world.

Old Post 02-11-17 10:00AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

To be fair, I think the ruling stems from the new rules regarding brooms...one broom/pad per player, per game, in response to all the controversy last season. It's not like the rule is there to keep players from breaking brooms out of frustration.

That being said, I agree that in this case it needs to be amended...I mean, it's not like players are going to break brooms just to get a fresh pad out there. Intent needs to be taken into consideration for sure...as was said, who wants emotionless robots out on the ice? I mean, you want players to exhibit class and practice good sportsmanship, but it's not like busting a broom in frustration is way out of line or anything (although I know there are many who feel differently and consider it downright atrocious behavior).

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Old Post 02-11-17 05:21PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

McEwen vs. Carruthers in 1 v 1 game; and Gunnlaugson vs. Loreth in 2 v 2 game.

I'd be quite certain the Loreth team has never gotten this far before. They had a successful cashspiel season, including winning the MCT championship. What have they done differently this year to be as successful as they have been?

Old Post 02-11-17 05:42PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Just a quick scan of their history. They are loyal to one another. They have been a unit (pretty much) for eleven years. Four years ago, Loreth started skipping and Haight went to 3rd. Then two years ago, Haight became fourth thrower and Loreth has kept calling the game. So I think this team knows each other very well. They are comfortable and honest with each other. That can pay off over time. Winnipeg team.

Old Post 02-11-17 06:23PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

really good crap with the page playoff right now. carruthers blanked the first 4 ends. really hate it when teams do that and i hope he gets burned because of it.

Old Post 02-11-17 08:07PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

All Stars

The Viterra Championship congratulates:
All-Star Lead: Denni Neufeld (Team McEwen)
All-Star Second: Matt Wozniak (Team McEwen)
All-Star Third: Braeden Moskowy (Team Carruthers)
All-Star Skip: Reid Carruthers (Team Carruthers)

Nice to see Moskowy get an all star.

Old Post 02-11-17 08:36PM
CURLER1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
really good crap with the page playoff right now. carruthers blanked the first 4 ends. really hate it when teams do that and i hope he gets burned because of it.

So Carruthers gives up a steal and then is forced. Feels like McEwan momentum. The quiet machine.

Old Post 02-11-17 08:43PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

So Carruthers gives up a steal and then is forced. Feels like McEwan momentum. The quiet machine.

good.

i just dont get why a team is content to blank so many ends away like that. you just have to wonder, if carruthers should go on to lose is he gonna look back and regret blanking those first 4 ends away

Old Post 02-11-17 08:45PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D
To be fair, I think the ruling stems from the new rules regarding brooms...one broom/pad per player, per game, in response to all the controversy last season. It's not like the rule is there to keep players from breaking brooms out of frustration.

That being said, I agree that in this case it needs to be amended...I mean, it's not like players are going to break brooms just to get a fresh pad out there. Intent needs to be taken into consideration for sure...as was said, who wants emotionless robots out on the ice? I mean, you want players to exhibit class and practice good sportsmanship, but it's not like busting a broom in frustration is way out of line or anything (although I know there are many who feel differently and consider it downright atrocious behavior).

But, as I mentioned, when a broom is broken, very, very rarely is the pad portion broken.
So... if a player breaks a broom, just make sure he puts the pad from the broken broom on the replacement broom.
Problem solved. Easily.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 02-11-17 09:16PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
i just dont get why a team is content to blank so many ends away like that. you just have to wonder, if carruthers should go on to lose is he gonna look back and regret blanking those first 4 ends away

And then.... McEwen pulls the string on draw for one in the eighth. Steal of two by Carruthers and he's up 3-1 through eight. Reid got his deuce on the 8th. Strategy time for McEwen.

Last edited by nelski on 02-11-17 at 09:21PM

Old Post 02-11-17 09:18PM
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

good.

It's simple. It's called math. Compare records when teams start games with the hammer vs without. If you can shorten the game by 4 ends and retain the hammer your odds go up significantly.

If Carruthers goes on to win he is gonna look back and realize blanking the first 4 ends won him the game. If Carruthers goes on the lose he isn't gonna regret it. He is gonna think he squandered an even better chance to win because of the 4 blanked ends.

Old Post 02-11-17 09:29PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

But, as I mentioned, when a broom is broken, very, very rarely is the pad portion broken.
So... if a player breaks a broom, just make sure he puts the pad from the broken broom on the replacement broom.
Problem solved. Easily.

Right, exactly, I agree 100%.

I got the impression that some posters were assuming the penalty was for breaking the broom, as opposed to falling under the new broom rules this season. My whole point was that it's a case of the new rule(s) having unintended consequences, and nothing to do with breaking a broom out of anger or frustration.

Like I said, for cases like a broken broom the rule needs to be amended...such as your proposal for using the same head from the broken broom on a new broom.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Old Post 02-11-17 09:30PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Did someone break a broom?

Old Post 02-11-17 10:00PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Well Mike, If you're going to lose one, that's the one to lose.
Giver tomorrow.

Old Post 02-11-17 10:00PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by MBTuck

It's simple. It's called math. Compare records when teams start games with the hammer vs without. If you can shorten the game by 4 ends and retain the hammer your odds go up significantly.

If Carruthers goes on to win he is gonna look back and realize blanking the first 4 ends won him the game. If Carruthers goes on the lose he isn't gonna regret it. He is gonna think he squandered an even better chance to win because of the 4 blanked ends.

Obviously it worked out here but it so easily could have gotten him in the ass and it's not exactly a strategy I agree with.

Old Post 02-11-17 10:03PM