Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Who makes the best hair broom?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Flame6264
Harvey Hacksmasher

Who makes the best hair broom?

My team owns all EQ synthetic Balance Plus brooms and we were considering of getting one or two horse head brooms to cope with frost when the ice is frosty and such. Any suggestions on what companies make a good hair broom?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-25-14 11:06PM
Flame6264 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flame6264 Click here to Send Flame6264 a Private Message Find more posts by Flame6264 Add Flame6264 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

If you like the Balance Plus handles, just get one (or two) with the Transformer Connector Handle:

http://www.balanceplus.com/catalog/...&products_id=57

Then you can use whatever Transformer Brush Head you want (I use the 8 inch Horsehair Brush Head). Balance Plus sells a variety of the Transformer Brush Heads.

The other option is to get a horsehair faceplate:

http://www.balanceplus.com/catalog/...&products_id=44

I don't like those though... I prefer the Transformer style hair brush myself if I'm going to use hair. But your mileage may vary...

Almost all the curling broom manufacturers make a variation of their broom handle designed for the Transformer Brush Head. So if you want a different one (Asham, Goldline, etc.) go take a look at their websites.

Old Post 04-25-14 11:32PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tickmeister
Knee-Slider

I've used the 10" transformer horse hair brush for about 25 years as a competitive curler and they are as good as it gets. You've got to be in good shape to use them as they are heavy. They are great on frosty Curling Club ice and they do not destroy pebble and are very effective on Arena ice. They are very difficult to find - the only luck I had was the company that actually made them for Asham - the Swiffer brush people. The 8" ones can be had from distributors, but Swiffer doesn't make the 10" ones any more. I lucked out by calling the Swiffer company in Winnipeg about 18 months ago. They had about 10 in stock, so I had them ship a few to me for future use.

Old Post 04-26-14 11:39AM
tickmeister is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tickmeister Click here to Send tickmeister a Private Message Find more posts by tickmeister Add tickmeister to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tickmeister,
I believe you are referring to Furgale Industries that owns 8-ender brushes. I just checked their website to see the 10" is not listed, but that doesn't mean a phone call wouldn't get different results. So, it is worth a try. I will agree that you have to be an animal to work that 10" for an entire weekend and not feel like you have Jello arms on Sunday.

I have used about every horse hair head out there. When I started curling, a lot of clubs here in North Dakota had pretty frosty ice. My favorite now, is to use the Goldline Element composite handle with the "performance style" oval horse hair head. Since the Element has a fixed head position, I find it to work similar to the transformer brooms. I particularly like the short dense bristles on those heads over the 8-ender heads though.

And if you scoff at using a composite handle instead of carbon fiber, you could buy an additional carbon handled broom from Goldline and swap the handle with the composite one from the Element brush. Then put the pivoting head on the composite shaft and sell that to a curler at your club.

Old Post 04-28-14 11:40AM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tickmeister
Knee-Slider

Thanks, Youngen. I had forgotten that Furgale is the Winnipeg producer of the Duke transformer 10", but Asham were the people who referred me to them. I too like the short thick bristles. They have to be given a haircut often as heavy use will loosen individual hairs. But the lifetime is good and its a quality product. I would not be interested in it on a swivel head - I think it would make it even harder to get the best result. Right now I have an 8 ender carbon fibre handle but it too is heavy and probably not good for recreational use.

Old Post 04-28-14 01:00PM
tickmeister is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tickmeister Click here to Send tickmeister a Private Message Find more posts by tickmeister Add tickmeister to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lime82930
Harvey Hacksmasher

One of the key features of the Brother PE800 is its automatic needle threading system, which makes threading the needle a breeze. The machine also has a built-in USB port that allows you to import designs from your computer or other sources. best embroidery machine for clothing

Old Post 06-24-23 09:57AM
Lime82930 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lime82930 Find more posts by Lime82930 Add Lime82930 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deceivetangerin
Harvey Hacksmasher

but how to use that?
Geometry Dash

Old Post 11-22-23 11:10PM
deceivetangerin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deceivetangerin Find more posts by deceivetangerin Add deceivetangerin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote