Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > MCA strikes again
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
the yap
Harvey Hacksmasher

Location: down the street from psychotic right next to oblivious

MCA strikes again

The MCA wonders why their participation levels are down. Well lets see...the have 8 teams enter zone playdowns...hey lets put 2 zones together..look now! we have 8 teams per region (in most parts)..that was successful. Hey wait a minute we have a pile of teams still wanting in but were scattered brain enough to miss the dead line. SCREW EM!! why should we take more easy money from curlers.

The latest...the grand ole MCA bonspiel...numbers have been dwindling every years. And this time they decide to kick teams back to a waiting list because they were over the "pefect" draw number. If i was on a team that was looking for a spot in the provincials and were bumped because the MCA was worried about having to coordinated byes...I would not want anymore of my curling dollars going towards this joke of an association.

The "screw you" attitude has to go or grass roots curling in the province is dead.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-16-12 04:44PM
the yap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for the yap Click here to Send the yap a Private Message Find more posts by the yap Add the yap to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

I don't think it's a "screw you" attitude. It's about professionalism. You want your concerns taken seriously? Don't miss deadlines. It's true in every avenue of life - and competitive curlers who want to have a shot at representing their province need to be professional enough to follow due process. If the MCA did nothing but cater to "scatterbrains," as you label them, it couldn't get anything done.

Old Post 01-16-12 04:53PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
the yap
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
I don't think it's a "screw you" attitude. It's about professionalism. You want your concerns taken seriously? Don't miss deadlines. It's true in every avenue of life - and competitive curlers who want to have a shot at representing their province need to be professional enough to follow due process. If the MCA did nothing but cater to "scatterbrains," as you label them, it couldn't get anything done.

Professionalism, sounds like the Director himself talking.

and the teams bumped to the waiting list were entered on time. that's extra classy.

Old Post 01-16-12 04:57PM
the yap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for the yap Click here to Send the yap a Private Message Find more posts by the yap Add the yap to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
siouxchamp
Harvey Hacksmasher

If the teams were entered before the deadline they should be in the bonspiel and NOT on a waiting list. You can make a draw work. If they entered after the deadline then that is a different matter. MCA should be encouraging team and not turning them away.

Old Post 01-16-12 05:49PM
siouxchamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for siouxchamp Click here to Send siouxchamp a Private Message Find more posts by siouxchamp Add siouxchamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

professionalism

i agree that all teams should adhere to deadlines but the MCA has a mandate to promote curling not teach curlers a lesson about entering on time. Every bonspiel chairman in this province has a constant battle filling draws, calling teams last minute to fill draws, calling players and making teams up last moment. Only the MCA has firm deadlines sometimes weeks ahead of events with no exceptions.

Old Post 01-16-12 10:03PM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

MCA bonspiel poster was finally released to clubs between xmas and newyears when nobody is at most clubs. When was the deadline? Jan 4 - before most leagues had even resumed.

Recreation Administration 101 - get your posters out with PLENTY of lead time. Sponsor profile is secondary to communicating with potential participants.

This was a card stock 17X34 full colour poster. Waste of money. FAIL.

Sure - if you go to the website - you might've known about it. If you've been it it before, maybe you'd 've known about a looming deadline. No time to ponder entry over a beer, 3-5 weeks ahead. And non-wpg clubs? I laugh when I look at that poster. FAIL.

Old Post 01-17-12 12:56PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blanch
Harvey Hacksmasher

I have no problem with cutting out teams that miss the deadline. Resby had a good article on that subject on his site a few weeks ago and it totally makes sense. But to not enter teams that made the deadline because the numbers don't work out for them is ridiculous. I have heard it was 6 teams entered before 4:30 on Jan. 5th that were relegated to the waiting list, so they could keep it at 352 teams and avoid any "complications". Whether the team is looking for a spot or not doesn't matter, that's not what the MCA bonspeil should focus on. These teams wanted to curl,entered before the deadline, and got turned away. This is not good looking forward to next year and trying to make a big 125th anniversary speil.

Old Post 01-17-12 02:18PM
blanch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blanch Click here to Send blanch a Private Message Find more posts by blanch Add blanch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
balvenie
Knee-Slider

I've curled in over 30 bonspiels and this is the first time in 20 plus years I have no interest in participating. No longer is there a central gathering place to hook up and bulls$%^, see old friends, foes and competitors. Regardless of what you thought of the meal, it was filling and a place to meet other curlers from around the province, country and world. I've made it to the prizes on a couple occasions but the reward for the grind to get there just wasn't appropriate. Ending the bonspiel on a Monday was the right idea, but I still liked the 8 games guarenteed. Next year is the 125th, and I will probably participate again, just because of the significance but I can tell you the passion for the bonspiel just is not there any more for a lot of people. It's time to give back to the curlers that have put out for years to support the MCA. Because it is the grass roots and recreational curlers which fund and support curling in this province, always have and always will. If you want your numbers up even into the 500's again, give it back or lose it.

Old Post 01-17-12 02:57PM
balvenie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for balvenie Click here to Send balvenie a Private Message Find more posts by balvenie Add balvenie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

The Big Spiel Has Begun -

Story about Team Craig Brown

http://www.brandonsun.com/breaking-...2988.html?thx=y

Old Post 01-20-12 10:10AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leathal1
Harvey Hacksmasher

I have heard a lot of negativity directed at the MCA regarding this bonspiel and feel I must give my 2 cents. I have just participated in my 2nd MCA Bonspiel having just returned to the roaring game in 2010 after a 10 year layoff. (I moved, changed jobs, got married etc.)

I only know the MCA as a min. 6 game event, but had the pleasure of playing 8 this year. I have had a blast at both events, and see myself participating for many years to come. This bonspiel, like many things, ain't what she used to be. I know there are a ton of traditionalists out there who remember the 8 games, and all the drunken revelry, but the MCA has changed over the years, and I think some of the curlers refuse to accept it.

I like the 6 game format, it was a thrill to win the 6th and earn another day's worth of curling. I dislike the waiting list for teams who made the deadline but were not able to get in. This needs to be changed to somehow let everyone play who gets in on time! For the big anniversary next year, they need to do everything they can to draw teams in. I've already challenged my Father-in-Law to come in from northern MB to enter a team, and hope many more rural teams enter. Maybe some of these guys who used to play, but have been turned off, will return next year and realize its still a great event. I would love to see 500+ teams for many years ahead.

Old Post 01-24-12 12:52PM
leathal1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for leathal1 Click here to Send leathal1 a Private Message Find more posts by leathal1 Add leathal1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noeller
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'll tell you what, I'm a born and raised 'Toban who has never had the chance to curl in the MCA and it's something that sticks in my craw every year when I read the articles about it. I'm 31, a life-long curler, and 4 years ago I moved to Alberta for work, and it's even more heart-breaking. One year, I'm hoping to move home again, or at least take a week's holidays in late Jan, and be there for it, just to say I did. For ANY passionate fan of Manitoba curling, it's an absolute MUST-attend at least once in your lifetime.

Would give anything to see this grand ol' gal return to her previous glory of huge attendance numbers.

Old Post 01-26-12 12:50AM
Noeller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noeller Click here to Send Noeller a Private Message Find more posts by Noeller Add Noeller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

live streaming

watching alberta scotties online, sask curl showing sask scotties on line tonite. manitoba scotties, nothing. We have the technology in mb too bad the mca can't get it done.

Old Post 01-26-12 12:49PM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Albert Scotties and schedule (Jan 25-30)

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/leduc-curling-club

http://www.2012albertascotties.com/default.aspx?p=home

Sask Scotties (Jan 26-30)

http://www.saskcurl.com/scotties/webcast.htm

http://www.2012saskscotties.com/drawschedule.html

Old Post 01-26-12 10:34PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: live streaming

quote:
Originally posted by gmay48
watching alberta scotties online, sask curl showing sask scotties on line tonite. manitoba scotties, nothing. We have the technology in mb too bad the mca can't get it done.

It's not a priority. Simple as that. Ask any staff, or board member. (I have done so.) They just shrug and point the blame. A shake-up is in order. They forget who they work for... US! The ones who pay their MCA dues through the clubs! They've lost perspective.

Old Post 01-26-12 11:25PM
the yap
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: live streaming

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

It's not a priority. Simple as that. Ask any staff, or board member. (I have done so.) They just shrug and point the blame. A shake-up is in order. They forget who they work for... US! The ones who pay their MCA dues through the clubs! They've lost perspective.

Their perspective is money. They keep commenting about professionalism. And yet, if they were infact professional, they would fire their marketing group. You rarely/never see or hear anything to do with MCA run events in the Media prior to the events. As noted, event posters are late to get out, drawmaster program for the MCA spiel is archaic...and so on and so on.

It's also funny about the money/professionalism...with the teams they disallowed and turned away this year they could have easily paid for a large corporation to set up a Curling Draw program for them...lets see...they denied 10 teams into regionals, there's 10teams x $280 = $2800 and 10 or so turned away from the MCA spiel x $300 = $3000 for a grand tally of $5800. That is a great business model! Lets throw away cash because its EASIER! lame.

As for the televised end of it. Pretty sure the MCA hasn't heard of the great invention called the interweb. Another marketing crash and burn. Sure lets sell out the arena to make all the money we can on the back of the volunteers and a host commitee. Lets not bother with additional marketing schemes that could pull in more money for the MCA and the sponsors/town hosting the event. That would mean someone would need to actually do some work the new office. lame x2.

How the hell does the MCA payfor all its employees!

Old Post 01-27-12 10:31AM
smartgoat
Harvey Hacksmasher

Absolutley "Priceless". Eventually, the MCA will whittle the entries down to 32 teams.

Then they will have the perfect draw....and they can run the entire event out of The Granite.

Old Post 01-28-12 10:51AM
smartgoat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for smartgoat Click here to Send smartgoat a Private Message Find more posts by smartgoat Add smartgoat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote