Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > 2012 Safeway Select Manitoba
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
leathal1
Harvey Hacksmasher

2012 Select

Is this year's Select a 2 horse race? Anyone see someone other than Stoughton or McEwen taking it this year?

If I had to pick a darkhorse, it would be J. Gunlaugson. I curled on the sheet beside him twice during the MCA. They look pretty sharp, made short work of the 2 opponents I saw.

As much as I am a Stoughton fan, I'm rooting for McEwen this year. Time to see the changing of the guard in MB, AB, and ON.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-05-12 02:19PM
leathal1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for leathal1 Click here to Send leathal1 a Private Message Find more posts by leathal1 Add leathal1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

Re: 2012 Select

quote:
Originally posted by leathal1
Is this year's Select a 2 horse race? Anyone see someone other than Stoughton or McEwen taking it this year?

If I had to pick a darkhorse, it would be J. Gunlaugson. I curled on the sheet beside him twice during the MCA. They look pretty sharp, made short work of the 2 opponents I saw.

As much as I am a Stoughton fan, I'm rooting for McEwen this year. Time to see the changing of the guard in MB, AB, and ON.

I can't see anyone other than Stoughton or McEwen winning this thing....although you never know. Fowler or W.Lyburn are capable of winning it if they are at the top of their games. I want the best of each province to be the Brier rep even if it means the same old teams year after year. It means the best Brier possible, and for me, the Brier is the pinnacle of curling events. At this point in time either Stoughton or McEwen represent Manitoba's best. Based on what happened during the last 2 provincial finals, I will be cheering for McEwen.

Old Post 02-05-12 02:37PM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

rob fowler would be my darkhorse pick

he's beaten both before and usually gives them bood fights

also would say william lyburn

but outside those 2 i dont think there's anyone there good enough to beat both of stoughton and mcewen and if anyone else wants to win they probably will have to go through both

Old Post 02-05-12 02:38PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

I'm cheering hard for a Stoughton-McEwen final - but I think that is the most likely scenario! I too am hoping McEwen finally gets his shot to head to the Brier, that team is well-prepared and ready to take on the world. Brier experience would be huge for them before the Olympic Trials. But you won't see me complaining if Stoughton continues his dominance of this event, they've been fantastic representatives for Manitoba and are after all the defending World Champions!

Old Post 02-05-12 02:39PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leathal1
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
I'm cheering hard for a Stoughton-McEwen final - but I think that is the most likely scenario! I too am hoping McEwen finally gets his shot to head to the Brier, that team is well-prepared and ready to take on the world. Brier experience would be huge for them before the Olympic Trials. But you won't see me complaining if Stoughton continues his dominance of this event, they've been fantastic representatives for Manitoba and are after all the defending World Champions!

I too won't be upset at all if Stoughton wins again. He has done so much for MB over the years. If he plays as well as he did last year, no problems with him wearing the bison either. Jeff's in his forties now, and can't play at this top level forever, McEwen needs to get over the hurdle soon to establish himself as top dog in the youth movement that will be taking place in the next few years. Ferbey, Martin and Howard are all getting up there as well.

I don't think Lyburn has been at the top of his game this year, a little streaky. Fowler is a good darkhorse pick though. Part of me always wants to root for the underdog, but I also want MB to send its best. And this year it seems to be MM.

Old Post 02-05-12 04:59PM
leathal1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for leathal1 Click here to Send leathal1 a Private Message Find more posts by leathal1 Add leathal1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tothezone
Harvey Hacksmasher

What is the format they are using?

Old Post 02-08-12 11:20AM
tothezone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tothezone Click here to Send tothezone a Private Message Find more posts by tothezone Add tothezone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bond10925
Harvey Hacksmasher

Looks like a double knockout to narrow the field to a final 8. Then they have linescores listed for PGS, SF, CF. Must be one more game to go from 8 to 4 based on seeding/position in the draw?

Old Post 02-08-12 12:05PM
bond10925 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bond10925 Click here to Send bond10925 a Private Message Find more posts by bond10925 Add bond10925 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

looks like mike got pushed in his opening game

Old Post 02-08-12 12:09PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by tothezone
What is the format they are using?

I hope this helps:

Format:
The Safeway Provincial Championship shall be a thirty two (32) team modified double knockout draw. Eight (8) teams advancing to a semi modified double knockout qualifying round with four (4) teams advancing to the Safeway Four Championship page playoff round. For the Provincial Championship, all 32 teams will be ranked and seeded into the standard draw format (#1 vs #32, #2 vs #31, #3 vs #30, etc)

Old Post 02-08-12 12:32PM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i still dont get the modified double knockout format in the QF once you get to that stage if you lose you should be out

Old Post 02-08-12 01:34PM
BradleyJ
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
looks like mike got pushed in his opening game

Yep - Toews gave Mike all they could handle. A few uncharacteristic misses from Team McEwen and Mike had to draw full 4 for the win. He put it on the lid.

Ice is pretty swingy out there and not quite as fast as one might expect. Lots of guys losing then handle on rocks.

Old Post 02-08-12 01:41PM
BradleyJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BradleyJ Click here to Send BradleyJ a Private Message Find more posts by BradleyJ Add BradleyJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

Safeway's are being webcasted as we speak, here is the site:

http://www.safewaychampionship.ca/AskCommentators.cfm

Only 1 game per day, go figure, but thanks anyway, and they solicit donations.

Old Post 02-08-12 02:06PM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

It says they will re-broadcast the 8th and 9th games at 7pm but will they be streamed at the re-broadcast times?

Nothing yet.... (as of 7:19pm)

Old Post 02-08-12 08:19PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
i still dont get the modified double knockout format in the QF once you get to that stage if you lose you should be out

It's just a modified double knock-out.
Some provinces have round robin (where 3 losses might get you to play-offs)
Some provinces have triple knock-out.
If you can understand double knock-out for 32, then it is double knock-out for 8. Final 4 play a Page format.
It allows for teams to lose a couple of games.
Your "stats" should show that is good.

Old Post 02-09-12 11:05AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan

It's just a modified double knock-out.
Some provinces have round robin (where 3 losses might get you to play-offs)
Some provinces have triple knock-out.
If you can understand double knock-out for 32, then it is double knock-out for 8. Final 4 play a Page format.
It allows for teams to lose a couple of games.
Your "stats" should show that is good.

i understand how it works but i dont understand why the use that

like i said, once you get to that point if you lose you should be out

Old Post 02-09-12 11:13AM
Keon
Hitting Paint

I agree that the format is strange and overly complicated, but there isn't a single province/territory that uses a straight knock-out quarter-final format. I'd guess there is no province/territory where you can be eliminated with only 1 loss, unless that loss is in the final game.

quote:

Old Post 02-09-12 11:52AM
Keon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keon Click here to Send Keon a Private Message Find more posts by Keon Add Keon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

they came up with the format, so they would always have an afternoon game, when it was televised by Global.

The old format, there was never a guarantee of the Sunday afternoon game.

Old Post 02-09-12 12:17PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:

So then you disagree with the Page format too?
A team wins 3 in a row and qualifies (in MB). Their next game is a loss and you think they should go home?
Get serious!

Old Post 02-09-12 12:37PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

playdowns

tried to watch 'game of the day' on line. they state it is to be rebroadcast at 7. 7.21 and still nothing. i guess mca is up to its usual philosophy of keeping the game for a few. now i know why the call it 'the selects'. its for a select few who want to travel to Dauphin

Old Post 02-09-12 08:23PM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan

So then you disagree with the Page format too?
A team wins 3 in a row and qualifies (in MB). Their next game is a loss and you think they should go home?
Get serious!

yes, thats exactly what i think

why should they get another chance? if they go undefeated but lose their first game that sucks but its to bad

Last edited by misty1 on 02-09-12 at 08:42PM

Old Post 02-09-12 08:27PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

jeff looks in devastating form here

we;ll see how he holds up when he gets tested but so far he's outscored the opposition 18-3

Old Post 02-09-12 10:34PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Yes, Jeff has been a monster machine thus far at the Scotts but thats not necessarily a great thing cuz he hasn't been tested and isn't curling much in the first couple days of the thing. McEwen, at least got tested in his first game,having to draw the four on last rock (he did)

Stoughton needs a win today over unheralded Jerry Chudley to advance to the 8 team playoff format.

That 8 team playoff unit is bound to contain the usual suspects (ie. Stoughton, McEwen, Fowler, Peters, Lyburn, the usual suspects)

Last year's semi-finalist, Terry McNammee is already out, having lost two games in the first round.

The main hope for the contenders is that Stoughton or McEwen somehow break down in efficiency and miss enough shots for a hot group of pistols to advance by them. Just don't know if there's too many teams in Manitoba (even Canada) who can shot-stack like Jeff or Mike.

Jeff is a monster at the Scots????

McNamee is not out yet.

Have another coffee ML.

Old Post 02-10-12 09:04AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Very very tough year for Jason Gunnlaugson. Playing under Team Bohn, Gunner is gone without even getting a sniff of qualifying. I'm wondering if he may be better off throwing 2nd or 3rd for a year or two (ala Morris or Simmons).

Old Post 02-10-12 09:30AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

whats rediculous here is that going on this morning are the A qualifier games and shaw is broadcasting none of them

Old Post 02-10-12 09:40AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Yes, Jeff has been a monster machine thus far at the Scotts

Last year's semi-finalist, Terry McNammee is already out, having lost two games in the first round.

Do you live in a different/your own world???

By the way Macnamee plays Loreth and if he wins plays the loser of the Stoughton/ Chudley match. I'd say his chances of qualifying are pretty good.

Last edited by guido on 02-10-12 at 10:31AM

Old Post 02-10-12 10:28AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote