Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > 40 years ago - Meleschuk
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

40 years ago - Meleschuk

Printed in the Brandon Sun - 40 years ago Meleschuk won the Canadian and World curling titles.

I was only 9 years old, but remember this well for some reason. Must have been because Meleschuk was a character.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-13-12 09:08PM
CURLER1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Re: 40 years ago - Meleschuk

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
Printed in the Brandon Sun - 40 years ago Meleschuk won the Canadian and World curling titles.

I was only 9 years old, but remember this well for some reason. Must have been because Meleschuk was a character.

The World final in 1972 was the first curling game I remember watching on TV. Very famous game for the Labonte incident. I don't type fast enough to explain but I'm sure all curlers old enough know all about it.....

Old Post 03-13-12 09:42PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBZ
Swing Artist

CBC video of "La Boot"!

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/curling/clips/2821/

Things to note:
1) bottle of Scotch behind Orest as he throws
2) Orest's cigarette in his mouth while he shoots
30 after Frank Aasand stops sweepeing, Canadian player (top of house) is taking his glove off - conceeding, or not?

Old Post 03-14-12 11:31AM
DBZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DBZ Click here to Send DBZ a Private Message Visit DBZ's homepage! Find more posts by DBZ Add DBZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Re: CBC video of "La Boot"!

quote:
Originally posted by DBZ
http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/curling/clips/2821/

Things to note:
1) bottle of Scotch behind Orest as he throws
2) Orest's cigarette in his mouth while he shoots
30 after Frank Aasand stops sweepeing, Canadian player (top of house) is taking his glove off - conceeding, or not?

Another thing to note, Labonte never said he burnt the rock. (cheating, or not?)
So, the U.S. lost the measurement. End of story.

Old Post 03-14-12 11:54AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Canada paid dearly for this for the rest of the decade..."The Labonte Curse" victims include such players as: Hec Gervais, Rick Lang and Ed Lukowich.

JH

Old Post 03-14-12 02:11PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBZ
Swing Artist

@guido
LaBonte never knew he touched the rock - kind of was landing, hard, at the same time his foot moved a "Stationary" stone. There was no replay & it looks to me as though everyone was watching Robert - kind of a normal reaction!

It's people like you who take the fun out of enjoying talking about curling...

Old Post 03-15-12 11:21AM
DBZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DBZ Click here to Send DBZ a Private Message Visit DBZ's homepage! Find more posts by DBZ Add DBZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho
Canada paid dearly for this for the rest of the decade..."The Labonte Curse" victims include such players as: Hec Gervais, Rick Lang and Ed Lukowich.JH

Sports Illustrated had a different spin on the curse, one that I've never heard of before ...

"So we were world champs for seven seconds," LaBonte says with a laugh. "At least I got to feel what it was like to win." The pratfall gave birth to the so-called LaBonte curse; it was 25 years before another North Dakota team made it to the worlds."

SI article link

Last edited by Guest on 03-15-12 at 12:16PM

Old Post 03-15-12 12:13PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Sports Illustrated had a different spin on the curse, one that I've never heard of before ...

"So we were world champs for seven seconds," LaBonte says with a laugh. "At least I got to feel what it was like to win." The pratfall gave birth to the so-called LaBonte curse; it was 25 years before another North Dakota team made it to the worlds."

SI article link

Good find!
JH

Old Post 03-15-12 03:35PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBZ
Swing Artist

re: 25 years...

It was actually 26 years for a Men's Team (Craig Disher) from North Dakota.

It was 24 years for a Men's curler from ND to be on a World Mens team.

During that time period (actuall 7 years & 12 years, respectively), 2 ND Junior Men's teams won Gold at the World Juniors. Not bad for a state with a population of less than 600k, and about 1/10th (at that time) the number of sheets of ice cmpared to Winnipeg!

Old Post 03-16-12 12:36PM
raskew
Knee-Slider

Here is another interesting twist regarding 1972, had Labonte beat Meleschuk, the US would have won the World Championship 4 times in 8 years...1972,1974,1976,and 1978.

Old Post 03-16-12 01:21PM
raskew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for raskew Click here to Send raskew a Private Message Find more posts by raskew Add raskew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

Another tidbit of folklore that I heard long ago. Meleschuk failed to get out of his club playdowns (at the Fort Rouge) the next year. Anyone remember when you started out of your club to win the Brier? Won''t see that happen again.

Old Post 03-24-12 11:25PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom
Another tidbit of folklore that I heard long ago. Meleschuk failed to get out of his club playdowns (at the Fort Rouge) the next year. Anyone remember when you started out of your club to win the Brier? Won''t see that happen again.

And Rick Folk did not get out of his club in Saskatoon the year after winning the Worlds. In many ways the curling world was better then.

Old Post 03-25-12 02:01AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote