Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2023 Mens Worlds
Pages (11): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Wow. Scotland being ahead is one thing but like this ?.

6-3 after 6. It's not over, the 2 help but they need steals or bigger scores than 2

Last edited by misty1 on 04-09-23 at 06:01PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-09-23 05:46PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Most of the major rule changes curling has had basically made it harder to defend the lead on the scoreboard. Personally I wouldn't mind it if we go a step further and introduce new rules so that the bigger the lead you have, the harder it is to defend it.

Personally I don't like that you can run your opposition out of stones in curling. I'd love it if we make that illegal. So if you're up by 8 points, then you can hit to force the blank in 9th, but in 10th you're not allowed to hit at all, and must play taps and freezes.

Old Post 04-09-23 06:08PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I can't really agree with rule changes that basically punish a team for building a lead

Old Post 04-09-23 06:11PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Great week, congrats to the Scots! I expect it won't be their last. And especially to Murdoch who gets his men's world title as he leaves.

Disappointing final for Gushue and Canada but overall a very strong week. Their playoff run was immensely difficult and they managed to beat Edin twice and the Swiss. I suppose some brain dead weirdos will use this to lament Canadian curling but it looks pretty damn healthy from where I sit. Top two yet again.

Old Post 04-09-23 06:19PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Absolutely delighted for the boys!!! Mouat, Hardie, Lammie and McMillan have looked like future world champions for a long time and today they finally fulfilled that.

Scotland/GB is the reigning world and double European champion and Olympic silver medalist in mens, Olympic champion and European bronze medalist in womens, and double world champion in mixed doubles. We live in the golden era of curling for Scotland.

Old Post 04-09-23 06:21PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I can't really agree with rule changes that basically punish a team for building a lead

It's not a punishment to say that it's illegal to play takeout. We've already had the precedent from FGZ and have already accepted that it's good for the sport to make takeouts illegal in some circumstances.

Besides, if you're up by 8 in 10th, it shouldn't be that hard to prevent an 8-ender even without takeouts. You have to put stones in good positions and play freezes and taps, and that's way more interesting to watch than just taking out any one stone for the win.

Old Post 04-09-23 06:21PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Wow. Scotland winning is one thing but the way they did? . That's not something I think anyone could have predicted.

Congrats to Scotland though. You can't argue they didn't deserve it today. They played amazing. They started out shaky but they really did get better as the week approached it's end.

They peaked at the right time. Impressive

They also pull off the euro/world double which isn't easy to do. Only feltscher , Norberg, nordby and edin have done it before that I can recall. Tre might be a few more

Old Post 04-09-23 06:22PM
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse
Absolutely delighted for the boys!!! Mouat, Hardie, Lammie and McMillan have looked like future world champions for a long time and today they finally fulfilled that.

Scotland/GB is the reigning world and double European champion and Olympic silver medalist in mens, Olympic champion and European bronze medalist in womens, and double world champion in mixed doubles. We live in the golden era of curling for Scotland.

Bruce is also heading to the mixed doubles worlds later this month in Korea with Jennifer Dodds as they won the Scottish championships - with two slams in Canada on either side. A very busy man!

Apparently his performance today at 97 per cent was the best ever by a skip at the men's worlds final since the event began.

Old Post 04-09-23 06:34PM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

This was Team Mouat’s 8th major international tournament, and their seventh medal. They only missed out on the 2019 Worlds by losing to Koe in the qualification game.
Olympics(1): Silver (22)
Worlds(4): Gold (23), Silver (21), Bronze (18), T-5th (19)
Euros(3): Gold (18, 21, 22)
Quite impressive and whoever thinks they are hit and miss like Team Muirhead could be, should think again.

Old Post 04-09-23 06:51PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Most of the major rule changes curling has had basically made it harder to defend the lead on the scoreboard. Personally I wouldn't mind it if we go a step further and introduce new rules so that the bigger the lead you have, the harder it is to defend it.

Personally I don't like that you can run your opposition out of stones in curling. I'd love it if we make that illegal. So if you're up by 8 points, then you can hit to force the

blank in 9th, but in 10th you're not allowed to hit at all, and must play taps and freezes.

Can’t believe I’m biting
BUT here we go again..give it up Clips.Your radical suggestions for further changing the rules of curling are not appreciated.

Better team won today..congrats to Scotland.

Two things can happen..one is bad

Old Post 04-09-23 06:55PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MostlyLurking
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

It's not a punishment to say that it's illegal to play takeout. We've already had the precedent from FGZ and have already accepted that it's good for the sport to make takeouts illegal in some circumstances.

Besides, if you're up by 8 in 10th, it shouldn't be that hard to prevent an 8-ender even without takeouts. You have to put stones in good positions and play freezes and taps, and that's way more interesting to watch than just taking out any one stone for the win.

Can't believe I'm getting sucked in but ...
The FGZ rules apply to both teams no matter what the scoreboard says. If you are proposing to restrict the allowable shots by a team that is up by some specified amount then yes, you are punishing a team for leading. I can't think of a single example of a sport where a team/player that is winning by a certain amount has to play with different rules than the team/player they are beating.

Old Post 04-09-23 07:17PM
MostlyLurking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MostlyLurking Click here to Send MostlyLurking a Private Message Find more posts by MostlyLurking Add MostlyLurking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Just shows how funny this sport is too. Retornaz was an inch away from making the final yesterday. Now he ends up with nothing .

Last edited by misty1 on 04-09-23 at 07:23PM

Old Post 04-09-23 07:20PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MostlyLurking
I can't think of a single example of a sport where a team/player that is winning by a certain amount has to play with different rules than the team/player they are beating.

Ultimately my proposal is simply to make it a violation to run your opposition out of stones. Yes, that does translate to making takeouts illegal in certain circumstances, but the principle itself is common among strategy games.

In chess, if you run your opposition out of moves, it's a stalemate, which is now a draw (neither player wins, neither player loses). You can have a much bigger army that is so obviously overpowering and winning, but if you overpowered too much and you run your opposition out of moves, it's a draw and you're not the winner.

Throughout the history of chess, stalemates have also been ruled as either a win, a loss, or just outright illegal.

I don't think it's that strange to say that running your opposition out of stones should be illegal. Similar to chess, curling is a turn-based strategy game between 2 teams, and we can just say that it's illegal to cut down the number of stones that your opposition can play with until the game becomes unplayable. Whatever you do, you have to still make it a playable game for your opposition. Whatever you do, your opposition must have enough stones to play with to get a tie on the scoreboard.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-09-23 at 07:48PM

Old Post 04-09-23 07:28PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1
The oligarchs are most pleased.

You literally embarrassed yourself and still show up? You were completely wrong and we all saw it happen.

Old Post 04-09-23 07:44PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

In 2023, Brier & Scotties finals are mandatory 10 ends minimum.

So if Gushue is down by 8 with hammer against Dunstone in the 2023 Brier final, by the official event policy he must play the mandatory 10th end. With the current rules, Dunstone would just wait for the first opportunity for a legal takeout and make that for a quick and easy win.

With my proposed rule where it's illegal to run your opposition out of stones, that mandatory 10th end would become something watchable. Dunstone must defend an 8-point lead but is not allowed to take out any Gushue stone. Gushue must use that to his advantage and score an 8-ender.

Chances are Dunstone would win anyway, but that mandatory 10th end will still be worth watching in my opinion.

Old Post 04-09-23 08:11PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Anyway...

Busy month for Mouat, Schwaller, and Arman as they have the Players' this week, and the mixed doubles worlds the following week.
Harsch and Byeong-jin will also be at the mixed doubles worlds.

Old Post 04-09-23 08:26PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Scotland played better and won. The end

Old Post 04-09-23 09:00PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
Anyway...

Busy month for Mouat, Schwaller, and Arman as they have the Players' this week, and the mixed doubles worlds the following week.
Harsch and Byeong-jin will also be at the mixed doubles worlds.

Yeah, there's not a ton of time for team mouat to digest what they've done here, hardly any actually.

Not saying there will be a let down but it's possible.

And then the mixed doubles for Bruce. Him, Scheller and Armani are very busy men, as you say.

Old Post 04-09-23 09:06PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
In 2023, Brier & Scotties finals are mandatory 10 ends minimum.

So if Gushue is down by 8 with hammer against Dunstone in the 2023 Brier final, by the official event policy he must play the mandatory 10th end. With the current rules, Dunstone would just wait for the first opportunity for a legal takeout and make that for a quick and easy win.

With my proposed rule where it's illegal to run your opposition out of stones, that mandatory 10th end would become something watchable. Dunstone must defend an 8-point lead but is not allowed to take out any Gushue stone. Gushue must use that to his advantage and score an 8-ender.

Chances are Dunstone would win anyway, but that mandatory 10th end will still be worth watching in my opinion.

I just don't get why you're such an arse hole..only have to play 8 ends. That's right 8 ends But you'd know that as a Canadian. Then again you're NOT Canadian. Why do you have such concerns about something that has nothing to do with you, other than being hired to get more hits on this site?

Why do you concern yourself
so much about Canadian curling when you are the farthest from being Canadian. Get a life and move on to "your" country and their curling. What's that they don't have curling? STFU

10000 curling clips later...

Yikes

Old Post 04-09-23 09:27PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Gushue already has a book, but I suppose he could have another one out. His MBA will help him with his businesses he currently owns.

Old Post 04-09-23 09:33PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
only have to play 8 ends. That's right 8 ends But you'd know that as a Canadian.

Minimum is 10 ends for 2023 Brier/Scotties final.

https://twitter.com/Devin_Heroux/st...187117818040320
"They have to play 8 ends in a championship game. That's World Curing rules. It's 10 ends in a Curling Canada event in a championship game."

You can confirm this on media guides.

https://www.curling.ca/media/

Old Post 04-09-23 10:04PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I just don't get why you're such an arse hole ... STFU

Don't be hateful. WCF wants to grow curling and is brainstorming for big ideas.

https://worldcurling.org/2023/04/big-ideas/

If there is a way to make all 16 stones of the 10th end watchable even when one team has an 8-point lead, that should be celebrated. If no other sports are like that, then even the more reason to celebrate curling as a special sport that we all love.

Old Post 04-09-23 10:22PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:

Minimum is 10 ends for 2023 Brier/Scotties final.

https://twitter.com/Devin_Heroux/st...187117818040320
"They have to play 8 ends in a championship game. That's World Curing rules. It's 10 ends in a Curling Canada event in a championship game."

You can confirm this on media guides.
https://www.curling.ca/media/

I guess I must have missed the tenth end in the Scotties final, darn. I bet it was nerve-racking for both Jones and Einarson with the score 10-4.

Old Post 04-09-23 11:45PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
I guess I must have missed the tenth end in the Scotties final, darn. I bet it was nerve-racking for both Jones and Einarson with the score 10-4.

There was no 10th end at 2023 Scotties final. Jones conceded after Einarson scored 5 in 9th to go up 10-4.

Presumably there were consequences for the early concession, violating the published policy for the minimum required number of ends.

With my proposed rule where it's illegal to run your opposition out of stones, perhaps Jones would have played the 10th end. Einarson would only be allowed to take out 2 of Jones stones (assuming Jones put every one of her stones in play and didn't take out her own), so it would've been interesting to watch if Jones can somehow find a way to score at least 6 to tie.

Chances are Einarson will inevitably win anyway, but TSN/Curling Canada gets their minimum 10 ends played, Jones gets a guaranteed mathematical chance to tie the game, people who paid money for seats in the building get to watch something that I'm sure would've been intriguing... everybody wins!

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-10-23 at 12:16AM

Old Post 04-09-23 11:54PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

L.O.L
I hope we all can agree to thank the powers that be that some of these folks have nothing to do with Curling in real life?

Old Post 04-10-23 12:17AM