Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > U.S.A. Curling > USCA rules question - double touch Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wickedpixel
Knee-Slider

USCA rules question - double touch

It was mentioned by an official at a USCA event earlier this year that "double-touching" during delivery was no longer illegal (releasing the rock then touching it again before it crosses the hog line).
I don't see anything in the rule book regarding this and in fact, as the rules read, this would still be considered a burned rock: "(a) Between the tee line at the delivering end and the hog line at the playing end:
(i) If a moving stone is touched, or is caused to be touched, by the team to which it belongs, or by its equipment, the touched stone is removed from play immediately by that team."

No exception seems to be made for the deliverer of the stone. Can someone provide clarification?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-06-13 05:05PM
wickedpixel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wickedpixel Click here to Send wickedpixel a Private Message Visit wickedpixel's homepage! Find more posts by wickedpixel Add wickedpixel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Because it's hazy and not clearly defined whether that same rule applies to the thrower, it's largely open for interpretation by the officials. I suppose it depends on where you define the stone as "moving". Is it immediately upon release by the thrower, or is it once it crosses the near hog line?

I guess I didn't really provide clarification, did I.....

Old Post 09-06-13 05:09PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

I haven't officiated in CAN for 4 yrs but the last time we were told by the head official to ignore any double touches. Now that most major event have electronic hog lines and minor events don't use officials, it seems that this is no an ex-rule no matter what is in the book.

Old Post 09-06-13 08:50PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

So, as with all things official....

(this is my understanding only, not an official position of anyone, I don't have authority to speak for anyone at any time on anything curling related...I'm just a hopefully soon certified level 2...waiting for the paperwork to come back)

We are instructed in our training, our pre spiel briefs, and just about everyplace else to give the benefit of the doubt to the players, and not to interfere in other than clear infractions...if there is any doubt, we are to let it go (although keeping a watchful eye to see if a pattern has developed, and if the line gets pushed too far...).

Since there aren't hog line judges on 99% of deliveries at sensor handle competitions, there isn't anyone who is in a good position to see a "double tap"...the on ice officials are behind the shooter, or in front of them at the other end of the ice. Even if there are hog line judges at a competitive spiel, they're watching with laserlike focus on the hog line, not what goes on before then...they are also usually watching multiple sheets at a time as well.

So, it would be on the opposing skip to protest...and as they would (likely) be at the other end of the ice, they are also in a bad place to see accurately.

As such....it's almost never going to get called.

From a "Yeah, I get that...but is it *legal*?" perspective...there is a hole in the rules...the implication of the "You must release by the Hog line" is that the delivering curler gets to maintain control of the stone up until a millimeter short of the hog line if they wish...the intent of the "Touch is not allowed" rule is to prevent sweeper interference (purposeful or inadvertent) with a running stone.

I would argue (and have had other officials argue as well) that since the "no touching" rule is not in with the delivery rule, that the rules regarding delivery take priority over the no touch rule with regards to actions allowed or not during delivery, and since the shooter is entitled to control the stone through to the hog line, a "double tap" is not something that we should be concerned with.

The technology of the sensor handles is in line with this as well, as they just sense if someone is touching the stone at hog cross, not how many times someone has touched and released it while in motion past the T (good luck programming a sensor to do that...)

Again, that is NOT an official ruling, just what someone who acts as an official would think if confronted with the question.

Old Post 09-12-13 09:22AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mgulseth
Harvey Hacksmasher

If the rulebook is vague or has a gray area, let's use some common sense. Is there really any advantage to double touching a rock? What unfair advantage is the other team gaining from doing this? I don't care if a team is doing cartwheels up until the hogline, as long as they release the rock when they are supposed to.

Old Post 09-13-13 10:37AM
mgulseth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mgulseth Click here to Send mgulseth a Private Message Find more posts by mgulseth Add mgulseth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Second
Harvey Hacksmasher

My understanding is, as long as it's part of the player's regular delivery, it's legal. Since you don't know if a player "adjusts" their grip during delivery on a regular basis, it's not against the rules.

Old Post 09-13-13 12:26PM
Second is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Second Click here to Send Second a Private Message Find more posts by Second Add Second to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by mgulseth
If the rulebook is vague or has a gray area, let's use some common sense. Is there really any advantage to double touching a rock? What unfair advantage is the other team gaining from doing this? I don't care if a team is doing cartwheels up until the hogline, as long as they release the rock when they are supposed to.

Totally agree with this

Old Post 09-13-13 09:51PM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

(2) A stone re-touched by the hand after release, but re-touched before the
hog line, is not a violation.

It's in the rulebook and has been for a while. Rule 9

Old Post 09-24-22 04:41PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

In the WCF rulebook
(i) If a moving stone is touched, or is caused to be touched, by the team to
which it belongs, or by their equipment, the touched stone is removed
from play immediately by that team. A double-touch by the person
delivering the stone, prior to the hog line at the delivering end, is not
considered a violation.

So it is in both the Curling Canada and WCF rulebooks

Old Post 09-24-22 04:49PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

It is also in the US Curling Association rulebook under touched moving stones

Old Post 09-24-22 04:52PM
mathew23df
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
In the WCF rulebook
(i) If a moving stone is touched, or is caused to be touched, by the team to
which it belongs, or by their equipment, the touched stone is removed
from play immediately by that team. A double-touch by the person
delivering the stone, prior to the hog line at the delivering end, is not
considered a violation.

So it is in both the Curling Canada and WCF rulebooks

I just checked the WCF rule book and it's true word hurdle

Old Post 09-30-22 12:36PM
mathew23df is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mathew23df Find more posts by mathew23df Add mathew23df to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

That's what I posted above.

Old Post 09-30-22 12:54PM
Lime82930
Harvey Hacksmasher

However, getting a professional massage can be expensive, and not everyone has the time to go to a spa or a massage parlor. This is where the importance of owning a massage chair comes in.Massage chairs have become increasingly popular in recent years, and for good reason. https://massagechairgenius.com/best...e-gaming-chair/

Old Post 06-16-23 06:02PM
Lime82930 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lime82930 Find more posts by Lime82930 Add Lime82930 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bekean
Harvey Hacksmasher

This article is a beacon of hope amidst immaculate grid all the challenges we face. It demonstrates that positive change is within our reach.

Old Post 07-21-23 12:24AM
bekean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bekean Find more posts by bekean Add bekean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spinabove
Knee-Slider

this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. gorilla tag

Old Post 09-05-23 02:40AM
spinabove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spinabove Find more posts by spinabove Add spinabove to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
emmaorabelle
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thank you for your insightful comments! I also want to share one of my favorite games with you guys. You can play this entertaining game alone or with friends. Give it a shot you will love it! Bitlife

Old Post 09-19-23 03:11AM
emmaorabelle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for emmaorabelle Find more posts by emmaorabelle Add emmaorabelle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
michaelarringto
Knee-Slider

io games are about competition! In games of this genre, you join other players in an arena and do your best to earn the most points by eating pellets, dots, orbs, or collecting items. You should be careful because others are also trying to reach the top of the leaderboard!

Old Post 09-21-23 12:48AM
michaelarringto is offline Click Here to See the Profile for michaelarringto Find more posts by michaelarringto Add michaelarringto to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deceivetangerin
Harvey Hacksmasher

tangygloria

Get ready to be mesmerized as you see a breathtaking show put on for you in all its thrilling detail. fireboy and watergirl

Old Post 09-25-23 04:00AM
deceivetangerin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deceivetangerin Find more posts by deceivetangerin Add deceivetangerin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tecno21
Knee-Slider

Convertidor de MP3

Convertidor de MP3 converter has made switching audio formats a breeze. Its straightforward design and swift conversion process make it my top choice for turning any audio file into the perfect MP3. https://convertidorvideo.com/

Old Post 12-18-23 08:53AM
tecno21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tecno21 Find more posts by tecno21 Add tecno21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngrperformance
Knee-Slider

movierulz Mod apk

Enhance your streaming experience with movierulz Mod apk. Enjoy additional features and optimizations that take your movie-watching journey to the next level. Elevate your entertainment quotient with Movierulz Mod APK.

The oil catch cans function to captures excess oil and relieve pressure in the crankcase. Oil catch cans also filter oil and other harmful contaminants from building inside the intake, thus hurting fuel economy and horsepower.

Old Post 01-25-24 04:53PM
ngrperformance is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngrperformance Visit ngrperformance's homepage! Find more posts by ngrperformance Add ngrperformance to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngrperformance
Knee-Slider

buy here pay here dealerships phoenix

Experience a worry-free car buying process with our buy here pay here dealerships phoenix, no credit check option. We understand that everyone deserves a chance at car ownership, and our dealership is here to make it happen. Find us near you and explore our no-hassle financing solutions.

The oil catch cans function to captures excess oil and relieve pressure in the crankcase. Oil catch cans also filter oil and other harmful contaminants from building inside the intake, thus hurting fuel economy and horsepower.

Old Post 01-25-24 06:25PM
ngrperformance is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngrperformance Visit ngrperformance's homepage! Find more posts by ngrperformance Add ngrperformance to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngrperformance
Knee-Slider

spongebob token crypto

Picture a decentralized world where SpongeBob's pineapple home meets the blockchain. spongebob token crypto brings the joy and humor of Bikini Bottom into the cryptocurrency sphere, creating a unique and entertaining digital experience.

Old Post 01-25-24 07:13PM
onpi1
Knee-Slider

Get Menu Price

Get Menu Price is my go-to destination for all things delicious and budget-friendly! This website makes it incredibly easy to browse through a wide range of menus and prices from my favorite eateries. https://getmenuprice.com/

Old Post 03-08-24 03:25PM
onpi1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for onpi1 Find more posts by onpi1 Add onpi1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote