Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
peteski
Drawmaster

I wouldn't worry too much about Eve's team. They did win the Europeans after all. Bad week at a bad time. They'll be back and contending soon enough.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-23-12 07:37AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

great way for the Germans to end the week. They actually will finish 7th place now by virtue of their round robin victory over Denmark. Thats probably alot better than anyone thought they'd do and they get a respectable amount of points for the olympics.

Mirjam gets Switzerland to that 1 v.s 2 game. Question is now what will she do with it? she has never finished this high in the round robin before. Can she actually make a final?

Old Post 03-23-12 07:58AM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I'm predicting the Americans will beat Canada unless Canada decides to show up.

I agree..Heather never was that smart when it came to shot calling and now her throwing is suspect.

As to the rest of the team....none have shown any luster.. I could never figure how they got through the Scotties....

I called the team for 6-5 at the start and they are not far off!

Old Post 03-23-12 08:16AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Mirjam is in a positions now to win Switzerland's first world championship since Erika Muller did 30 years ago.

but can she finally figure out a way to get past Sigfridsson? she's 0-4 against her

Old Post 03-23-12 08:21AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Weery Miss Miri might have been better off coming thru the back end of the page rather than facing her main tormentor in the 1-2 and then probably having to play USA or Korea in the semi-final. At least she gave her team two chances to get into the gold medal game.

Have they played the tie-breaker yet? If so I must have missed something!

Old Post 03-23-12 09:46AM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Weery Miss Miri might have been better off coming thru the back end of the page rather than facing her main tormentor in the 1-2 and then probably having to play USA or Korea in the semi-final. At least she gave her team two chances to get into the gold medal game.

It seems like with Mirjam you almost feel like she has to win that page playoff game. Sweden you could see them getting back to the final if they lose to Switzerland but if Mirjam loses the 1 v.s 2 it might begin a slope toward 4th place.

Old Post 03-23-12 09:48AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Doesn't China's pathetic showing at this year's world put their olympic qualification in serious jeopardy?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

Old Post 03-23-12 09:52AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hooper
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
As to the rest of the team....none have shown any luster.. I could never figure how they got through the Scotties....

They started shaky at the Scotties, but I thought they came on really strong throughout the second 2/3 of the RR and through the playoffs. I thought they were really good at making shots, especially at 3rd.

But they haven't seemed nearly as consistent this week. And I tend to agree with the announcers that all the 'chatter' is making it harder for Nedohin to call a good game. I like that she gets input to help temper her own aggressiveness, but they need to be a bit more sparing about it. (I also think the team's chatter is making them overthink as well, which is affecting their throwing as well as their weight judgment when sweeping.)

Old Post 03-23-12 09:58AM
Hooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hooper Click here to Send Hooper a Private Message Find more posts by Hooper Add Hooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Sometimes the team needs to let the skip focus and make their own shots without putting in their own 2 cents! Yes, the vice & skip need to talk but even Iskiw has to learn to zip it once in a while. Front ends, unless asked should really get the rocks ready, sweep and only add their opinion if asked. JMHO

Old Post 03-23-12 10:03AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Doesn't China's pathetic showing at this year's world put their olympic qualification in serious jeopardy?

The qualification is based on the 2011, 2012 and 2013 World Championship results. China finished 3rd in 2011. They would need to have another really bad showing next year to not qualify.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.25.39.22

Old Post 03-23-12 10:10AM
Unregistered

quote:

The qualification is based on the 2011, 2012 and 2013 World Championship results. China finished 3rd in 2011. They would need to have another really bad showing next year to not qualify.

No, they changed the scheme. Now it is only 2012 and 2013 that counts. Which puts China in a terrible spot, they might easily be shut out by Korea and Japan of even going to the Worlds in 2013. Same applies to Korea, btw.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 141.35.40.141

Old Post 03-23-12 10:13AM
Unregistered

Wow, I didn't know they changed to a 2-year qualification process. Kind of silly IMO -- one bad week can torpedo your chances.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.25.39.22

Old Post 03-23-12 10:22AM
VanillaIce
Administrator

Qualification

I don't usually use Wikipedia for my information but this seems accurate:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Curling_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics#Qualification[
/url]

The catch is the "Nations may also qualify teams through an Olympic qualification event to be held in the fall of 2013."

This event is going to be a good one to be at. A bunch of teams that didn't fare well at the last two Worlds fighting for two spots in each gender!

Old Post 03-23-12 10:25AM
VanillaIce is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VanillaIce Find more posts by VanillaIce Add VanillaIce to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

so if I understand this: The top 7 nations after the 2013 worlds will gain automatic entry into the olympics and russia is in for the women automatically.

so so far we know that the points for the teams are like this:

Great britain - 7
Germany - 6
Denmark - 5
Russia - 4
Italy - 3
China - 2
Czech Republic - 1

Of course we still don't know how the top 5 of Canada, United States, Sweden, Switzerland and Korea will sort out their point distribution.

China is really going to have to have a great performance next year. As it stands right now if the olympics were next year Germany would be the last nation in directly and everyone below them would need to play this qualification event...except Russia who are in automatically

I think this new process is pretty stupid. I don't object to the two year process of qualifying but i do object to the qualification tournament.

Last edited by valkyrie svy on 03-23-12 at 10:44AM

Old Post 03-23-12 10:40AM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

The wikipedia articles regarding Olympic qualification for any sport are generally a very reliable (and easy to navigate) source of information.

If China does not qualify outright based on points they will at least make it to the Olympic qualification tournament since they competed in at least one Worlds during the Sochi Olympic cycle. The Pacific team that is truly in jeopardy are the Japanese women. They must win their semifinal next year in order to make it to the Worlds, and therefore have a shot at the Olympics.

Also, this is why anyone screaming hysterically that the United States might not qualify for the Olympics is, quite frankly, getting carried away. They will have two years to earn points for Olympic qualification and they'll still have the final tournament.

Old Post 03-23-12 10:43AM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Really the new process of qualifying hurts any team that has a bad year. Before with a 3 year process if one country had a bad year they could always write that off because there are still two years left to qualify.

Ex: last year the swedish men were very close to missing the cut off for the olympics , having been absent one year and having a bottom of the table finish the year before. It was peja's 5th place finish in 2007 that really got sweden its spot. If there had been a two year process in action then Sweden would not have fielded a team at the 2010 olympics.

This is the same. With it being down to a two year process if china doesn't finish top 4 next year they wont qualify directly. same with Denmark

Old Post 03-23-12 10:56AM
Unregistered

With this new process Japan will have to hope for a miracle to qualify.

Old Post 03-23-12 11:04AM
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Sometimes the team needs to let the skip focus and make their own shots without putting in their own 2 cents! Yes, the vice & skip need to talk but even Iskiw has to learn to zip it once in a while. Front ends, unless asked should really get the rocks ready, sweep and only add their opinion if asked. JMHO

Hey CB, funny how different team dynamics work. Glenn Howards team all have input and it works like genius. Yet on Heathers team it seems to just confuse the issue (Russ and Linda commented on it). That being said, the real problem that put them in this spot was the absolute stinker they threw up against a thourghly underwhelming Italian team. I had put the game against Scotland in the maybe catagory. Not surprised they lost. That was a good old fashioned whuppin', that could've been worse. Now to face an on fire, confident American team, that I thought they were somewhat lucky to beat the first time. It goes without saying, (but I will anyways..you know..sports cliches ) that they need to right the ship, and bring their best game to the arena this afternoon.
Gotta split, need to meet my wife for my birthday lunch.
Ready to start plannin' that Ricoh Brier ?

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Last edited by celtichound on 03-23-12 at 12:13PM

Old Post 03-23-12 11:32AM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

The problem is the middle two players are not particularily strong in the strategy department. That's why they need to zip it sometimes. Heather has the knowledge but overthinks some situations; given the right input she is fine.

Heather was clearly annoyed early in the game. She had a right to be. Jessica has been throwing like crap for several games. You don't want those players questioning your calls when they aren't throwing properly. Even as an observer, when someone called out "I kind of like another corner guard" when they were down 5 with 2-3 rocks already in place that you could hide around, I thought it was ridiculous. Heather made the correct call but was fed up with the nonesense and just switched the call.

I think how they lost may be a good wake up call on these matters. I'm still picking them to beat the US but if Jessica doesn't put in better games they'll lose to Korea. The US has had a nice run, but I don't think they can beat an aggressive team making shots. Will Canada execute ? I know Korea will.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the winner of the 3-4 game to get to the final and have a good chance to win the title. Would be a nice story for either Canada/Korea/US.

Old Post 03-23-12 11:59AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by celtichound

Hey CB, funny how different team dynamics works. Glenn Howards team all have input and it works like genius. Yet on Heathers team it seems to just confuse the issue (Russ and Linda commented on it). That being said, the real problem that put them in this spot was the absolute stinker they threw up against a thourghly underwheming Italian team. I had put the game against Scotland in the maybe catagory. Not surprised they lost. That was a good old fashioned whuppin', that could've been worse. Now to face an on fire, confident American team, that I thought they were somewhat lucky to beat the first time. It goes without saying, (but I will anyways..you know..sports cliches ) that they need to right the ship, and bring their best game to the arena this afternoon.

Yeah, they lose the morning game... a game that you probably had in your win colume, and now they have to run the table. I know they did it in the Scotties, but can you expect to get really lucky twice???

Right, they were lucky to beat the US in roundrobin... both Jessica and Heather outshot the US but I don't expect Heather to outshoot Allison again... This time the game will hinge on the numbers at 2nd and which one sets up the backend... if Jessica can't clearly outshoot Natalie, I don't think Beth can pick up the slack and leave Heather in a good place.

Listening to Heather talk to reporters after last nights game... she sounded like she was trying to talk herself into being filled with confidence, but her tone of voice sounded more hopeful than realistic.

Last edited by curlingmad on 03-23-12 at 12:04PM

Old Post 03-23-12 12:00PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

The problem is the middle two players are not particularily strong in the strategy department. That's why they need to zip it sometimes. Heather has the knowledge but overthinks some situations; given the right input she is fine.

Heather was clearly annoyed early in the game. She had a right to be. Jessica has been throwing like crap for several games. You don't want those players questioning your calls when they aren't throwing properly. Even as an observer, when someone called out "I kind of like another corner guard" when they were down 5 with 2-3 rocks already in place that you could hide around, I thought it was ridiculous. Heather made the correct call but was fed up with the nonesense and just switched the call.

I think how they lost may be a good wake up call on these matters. I'm still picking them to beat the US but if Jessica doesn't put in better games they'll lose to Korea. The US has had a nice run, but I don't think they can beat an aggressive team making shots. Will Canada execute ? I know Korea will.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the winner of the 3-4 game to get to the final and have a good chance to win the title. Would be a nice story for either Canada/Korea/US.

You have to wonder if the US would have beaten Sweden if Sweden had executed their normal game plan instead of playing so defensively. The same can be said for Denmark. If the danish team had executed better where would the US BE?

The game against Germany is telling for me. The Germans went outside of their comfort zone and left rocks in play and they were rewarded. Now if a team that is more comfortable with leaving rocks in play like Sweden or Canada executes their shots will the US be able to keep up? They nearly lost the game against Germany, a team that, again strays from making things complicated unless they have to.

Old Post 03-23-12 12:16PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingmad

Yeah, they lose the morning game... a game that you probably had in your win colume, and now they have to run the table. I know they did it in the Scotties, but can you expect to get really lucky twice???

Right, they were lucky to beat the US in roundrobin... both Jessica and Heather outshot the US but I don't expect Heather to outshoot Allison again... This time the game will hinge on the numbers at 2nd and which one sets up the backend... if Jessica can't clearly outshoot Natalie, I don't think Beth can pick up the slack and leave Heather in a good place.

Listening to Heather talk to reporters after last nights game... she sounded like she was trying to talk herself into being filled with confidence, but her tone of voice sounded more hopeful than realistic.

Get the US in an aggressive game and both back end players can be beat. I think the US is going to try to keep things simple and hope to get some misses from Jessica.

I predict Canada scores a 3+ somewhere and carries that advantage to a win. If the game becomes a low scoring dull affair, Canada's out.

Old Post 03-23-12 12:18PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

The United states has a very German style of play. By that I mean that they , like Germany like to keep things a little more simple and go for their chances when they get them. They will put rocks in play if they have too.
The only difference is that there is more shot making ability on the US team so they have a better chance of getting out of trouble and Allison is a better last rock thrower then Imoghen.They also have a more definite plan then the Germans.

Old Post 03-23-12 12:23PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:

You have to wonder if the US would have beaten Sweden if Sweden had executed their normal game plan instead of playing so defensively. The same can be said for Denmark. If the danish team had executed better where would the US BE?

The game against Germany is telling for me. The Germans went outside of their comfort zone and left rocks in play and they were rewarded. Now if a team that is more comfortable with leaving rocks in play like Sweden or Canada executes their shots will the US be able to keep up? They nearly lost the game against Germany, a team that, again strays from making things complicated unless they have to.

Sweden played a very silly game against the US. They are lucky it had no lasting effect on their standings. I really believe the US can't keep up in an aggressive game. Hopefully, Canada can execute that plan. If not, Korea will. A Korea-US match I would heavily favour the Koreans for this reason.

Alison has played great, I just don't think she has the lineup to get much further in this. Yes, I know, 7 wins straight. That was great. But a lot of those wins were pressure free, against division "B" teams and teams who just got their playoff hopes crushed. Take her out of her game by complicating her shots. Make her throw some raises etc. Maybe she can do them too, but make her do it under playoff pressure. For all the headaches Canada has had lately, Heather is pretty clutch when she's on her game.

Its on ice so ultimately any of these teams can assert themselves and win this thing. No winner would surprise me, there is no clear favorite amongst these teams. However, Sweden has got themselves into a nice spot again.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-23-12 at 12:35PM

Old Post 03-23-12 12:30PM
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Agreed, good analysis, I had thought much the same. Espcially when Jessica called down the ice. Hope you're right about the games outcome.

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-23-12 12:30PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote