Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Unregistered

Can someone please explain to me why there is even a scoring system in place? why are there % points awarded?

there are so many things to take into account that its almost impossible really to score fairly

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 03-23-12 07:56PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
This crowd is so classless at times. Yelling and chanting when the other team is preparing to make their shot. Have some class

You may have been right years ago as the only fans you saw at curling were avid curling fans... but with the popularity of the Olympics... the game has taken a diff approach to cheering. I'm very avid but I can also see the game from the viewpoint of someone who isn't... so hey, let them cheer whenever they wish or in whatever manner they wish. It's all about the MONEY.

For example if you take our curling club, the Lethbridge CC... we have about 750 members... and we want to put anywhere from 1000 to 3000 bums in the seats at one of these games... that means that most of the spectators are not members of any CC... so they cheer like it is a basketball or hockey game... good on them and I've learned to grit my teeth.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-23-12 08:05PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by gameon

You may have been right years ago as the only fans you saw at curling were avid curling fans... but with the popularity of the Olympics... the game has taken a diff approach to cheering. I'm very avid but I can also see the game from the viewpoint of someone who isn't... so hey, let them cheer whenever they wish or in whatever manner they wish. It's all about the MONEY.

For example if you take our curling club, the Lethbridge CC... we have about 750 members... and we want to put anywhere from 1000 to 3000 bums in the seats at one of these games... that means that most of the spectators are not members of any CC... so they cheer like it is a basketball or hockey game... good on them and I've learned to grit my teeth.

Let them cheer but there is a time when it's appropriate to do it and when it's not. When a curler is settling down in the hack ready to deliver it should be silent

Old Post 03-23-12 08:08PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Let them cheer but there is a time when it's appropriate to do it and when it's not. When a curler is settling down in the hack ready to deliver it should be silent

hard to do if there is 4 games going on. If there is only one , i agree. But, fans that are new to the sport don't know any better. Have atter.

Old Post 03-23-12 08:26PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hooper
Swing Artist

quote:
Can someone please explain to me why there is even a scoring system in place? why are there % points awarded?

there are so many things to take into account that its almost impossible really to score fairly

People who fret more about this can certainly add more, but I do think we tend to try to ask more of the point system than it was intended to give. Ideally, the points are given based on how well a thrower delivers the stone that is called. E.g. if the skip asks for a 3 guard on the center line, does it get there?

The scoring system has absolutely no consideration for the quality of the shot called (and, by extension, the strategy of the game). For an extreme example, if a team calls nothing but high corner guards all game long, they could get 100% if they do throw high corner guards. However, they're not going to win with that strategy, so the final outcome will in no way correlate to the throwing percentages.

Trying to correlate shooting percentages to game outcomes is not statistically sound in any way. There is some correlation: teams that shoot better will, on average, tend to perform better. But simply being a foursome of good shots is far from the only thing that gets wins.

So the TL;DR version: the % system is there for one thing - to give a rough indication of how well people are delivering the stones that are called. It's not there to tell you who's winning. (That's what the scoreboard is for!) ;-)

Old Post 03-23-12 08:29PM
Hooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hooper Click here to Send Hooper a Private Message Find more posts by Hooper Add Hooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Just before the last shot of the game, they panned on Alison P. Did anybody happen to catch what she said? It sounded as though she said something derogatory about the Canadian team. Did I hear that correctly?

Old Post 03-23-12 08:45PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

it was a-hle. i rewound and listened over a few times.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.141.142.30

Old Post 03-23-12 09:23PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

"You should, I think they're asholes." Who are they? Could be the opposition, cameramen, fans, who knows?

Old Post 03-23-12 10:15PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hooper
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
"You should, I think they're asholes." Who are they? Could be the opposition, cameramen, fans, who knows?

Could be the rocks.

Old Post 03-23-12 10:55PM
Hooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hooper Click here to Send Hooper a Private Message Find more posts by Hooper Add Hooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

2 Grogeous draws by Mirjam Ott to bail Switzerland out

Old Post 03-23-12 11:14PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Other examples of torment were last years Scott when Holland tormented Jenny Jones

No, it was a close game and both skips were playing at their peaks until JJ bernarded her last

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 1.36.57.105

Old Post 03-24-12 10:54AM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

Scoring percentages are there to give fans something to compare the players, coaches something to use in creating a game plan, inturn and outturn preferences, etc.

I agree that the numbers in Lethbridge are out of whack. The scorers are being very generous here and it's embarrassing to the profession.

I currently run the curling stats for the Grand Slams and the United States, have run stats for two World Championships, a European Championships and the Scottish National Championships.

It obviously comes down to the quality of the volunteers, as they're trained to follow a standardized scoring system to score the shot. IMHO, the CCA has been doing a great job on create good numbers the last 2-3 years, and I feel they've generally been good, but not sure what has changed in Lethbridge.

Some things to consider:

-- An early blowout can produce much higher numbers. The USA/Canada game was an example of this, a team getting behind early will throw up a lot of guards and the team down will play a lot of basic hits. Numbers will go higher as a result.

-- Stats aren't everything, sometimes a player/team will be out shot in a game and still win. In a game, this can easily happen, but in the long run this team likely wont be successful. The stats are an overall picture of a player's execution during the game, week, etc.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 03-24-12 11:16AM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Gerry, can you explain how your scoring system is modified by the level of difficulty of the shot?

Old Post 03-24-12 12:22PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Chat or Tweat playBYplay

Hey folks. There's no live chat here anymore. Am without TV, only internet and am not hopeful for streaming. If anyone is willing to live chat somewhere - Ustream? a facebook thread (eg, Gerry's) or via their twitter feed - I'm totally following. Suggestions? Who is tweating the games? @nellymills what's the best hashtag? Thanks

Old Post 03-24-12 01:06PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Chat or Tweat playBYplay

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Am without TV, only internet and am not hopeful for streaming.

If your internet connection is even half decent, I'd be optimistic there will be a stream open for the game. (I'll try to post a link once it's up and running.)

Old Post 03-24-12 01:32PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Chat or Tweat playBYplay

quote:
Originally posted by StonePunter O/i]
If your internet connection is even half decent, I'd be optimistic there [i]will
be a stream open for the game. (I'll try to post a link once it's up and running.)

Woot! TY Sp. I'm tracking tweets at #wwcc2012.. hoping to find a frequent game updater there. I have dsl, could stream. Go Kornada Go

Old Post 03-24-12 01:36PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I want to go ahead and say that the Page 1 v.s 2 game between Switzerland and Sweden last night was the highest quality of match we have seen men or women in years at a world championships.

Both teams execeuted beatifully

Old Post 03-24-12 02:30PM
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Chat or Tweat playBYplay

quote:

Woot! TY Sp. I'm tracking tweets at #wwcc2012.. hoping to find a frequent game updater there. I have dsl, could stream. Go Kornada Go

It's up!

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/...mpionships.html

I'll post a non-Swedish (?) link if one is posted later in the telecast. Usual caveats apply: Watch out for pop-ups, some require you wait for the little "X" to appear, many put fake ones in etc...

Now -- go shock the world little flagless nation...

Old Post 03-24-12 03:06PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyoh
Hitting Paint

I find it really hard not to cheer for Korea

Old Post 03-24-12 03:49PM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

So grateful! Cool to see Korean traditional dress in the crowd and glad to see the flags. So exciting. Am so torn, because of course I want Heather & crew to go the distance. Managing the popups. Swedish commentary I think - Link1. Go Canorea Go.

Old Post 03-24-12 03:53PM
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
So grateful! Cool to see Korean traditional dress in the crowd and glad to see the flags. So exciting. Am so torn, because of course I want Heather & crew to go the distance. Managing the popups. Swedish commentary I think - Link1. Go Canorea Go.

If you click on "Stream 2" (while in 'Link 2') -- and then close up 14 more pop-ups -- you'll get a delightful British bloke and his Scottish colour commentator.

If anyone knows who these two are, I'd appreciate knowing. If this feed wasn't 10+ seconds behind real time, I'd be muting my TV...

Old Post 03-24-12 04:02PM
CurlingNut1994
Harvey Hacksmasher

God Korea is playing so defensive, really boring to watch.

Old Post 03-24-12 04:18PM
CurlingNut1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingNut1994 Click here to Send CurlingNut1994 a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingNut1994 Add CurlingNut1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

The Koreans will play this defensive play for the next 5 ends if they have their say. Canada needs to go really aggressive in the final 5 ends if they are to win this game..

Old Post 03-24-12 04:20PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

That seventh end was... smh. Neither team could take advantage of their opportunities.
From Canada having a chance to force, to Korea having a chance to get three, to Canada having a chance to force again, to Korea having a shot for two.

Old Post 03-24-12 04:55PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hooper
Swing Artist

All in all, Canada has to be pleased. A tie game with that much defensive play, and they now have 8th end hammer. I'd like to see them force Korea to play more draws at this point. I'm curious how well Korea can throw them after throwing a kajillion hits so far.

Old Post 03-24-12 04:58PM