Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > OCA ED retires.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
decade
Super Rockchucker

OCA ED retires.

Doug Bakes, executive director of the OCA had submitted his retirement notice.
Effective end of June 2014 but staying on as a consultant for 6 months.

www.ontcurl.com/news-details.aspx?id=247

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-10-13 03:16PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

I hope this doesn't mean said person is double dipping like the Ontario Power Generation executives.

Old Post 12-11-13 09:58AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

"retired"? good one! From what I've heard he was shown the door....pushed towards it....and had his toque and mittens put on for him. OCA didn't have the "stones" to call it a termination.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.109.142.212

Old Post 12-11-13 07:51PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I heard about this rumour over the summer. He could be a rathe elusive fellow at times. One of the OCA's main sponsors once told me Doug never returned his phone calls so the sponsor ended up going to the OCA offices and waiting for him.

Ontario need to get some development plans going - entries are dropping in almost all of their competitions and I am sure membership is down too. Maybe Lolar will take the job.

Old Post 12-12-13 03:37PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I heard about this rumour over the summer. He could be a rathe elusive fellow at times. One of the OCA's main sponsors once told me Doug never returned his phone calls so the sponsor ended up going to the OCA offices and waiting for him.

Ontario need to get some development plans going - entries are dropping in almost all of their competitions and I am sure membership is down too. Maybe Lolar will take the job.

Lolar would have my vote. The OCA could use some new life.

(formerly known as Irunforfun)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.235.244.213

Old Post 12-12-13 06:49PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Agreed. The position of Director of Development is a joke, as is the fact it's "assigned" to the 2nd VP. When was the last time we saw anything remotely developmental come out of that office, let alone from the Board. Let's hope the hiring process for the new ED is open and above board, and the hiring committee charged with that task is competent. Ontario needs to regain its former status.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.186.37.200

Old Post 12-13-13 02:55PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

The board elections are not even transparent so don't expect the hiring of the new staff to be. Ever notice the recycling of board members. They get to past president, take a year off and return with a new title. Watch for names like Gord Gark to pop up. Makes you very suspicious when the same people are on the Ontario Curling Council b of d and the OCA board.

Old Post 12-13-13 06:36PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

The OCA needs a good Public Relations / Marketing person.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.146.107.33

Old Post 12-13-13 08:24PM
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

pretty sure Gord's name will pop up...as he is second vice president.

Old Post 12-13-13 09:56PM
dugless_13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_13 Click here to Send dugless_13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_13 Add dugless_13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

He was shown the door now its time to get someone in there
that can answer a phone call and make a difference he won't
be missed I hear.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 67.68.40.212

Old Post 12-14-13 02:05PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

I agree with all the above....OCA needs new blood and true promotion.....

I'd love to see the younger generation take over! What it doesn't need is old guys like me (going on 69)!

It will take youth and energy as well as ideas to get OCA back to something worth while.

Old Post 12-14-13 09:42PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

kind of curious? who showed him the Door?

Old Post 12-14-13 10:54PM
dugless_13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_13 Click here to Send dugless_13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_13 Add dugless_13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

While he may have his detractors, I personally had a very good relationship with Doug and he was very good at many components of his job. He was a quiet leader, someone who didn't seek out the limelight and did a lot of work behind the scenes that we rarely saw.

Managing an organization the size of the OCA is not an easy feat, with 16 Zones meetings twice a year (and Doug was great at collaborating at those, I attended several), and the management of all the provincial championships that go along with the province. For anyone who's suggested the scoring we do is in-spite of the OCA, they've been very helpful to help facilitate getting it accomplished.

Doug will be missed for the hard work he put into the job, though am looking forward to a positive change going forward that brings together all the important stakeholders of the sport in Ontario.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 12-14-13 11:38PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lovetocurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

I agree Gerry. It's easy to snipe but Ontario has way to many competitions now and finding ice and support is not easy. Doug kept an even keel quietly - be careful what you wish for - the next guy could be a different story. I always found Doug a pleasant easy guy to talk to and I wish him well in retirement.

Old Post 12-15-13 01:58AM
lovetocurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lovetocurl Click here to Send lovetocurl a Private Message Find more posts by lovetocurl Add lovetocurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I'm sure the CCA sanction of the OCA had something to do with it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.34.19.222

Old Post 12-15-13 08:02AM
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

Doug did a great job taking the OCA from a good old boys club to a major force in curling. There were not enough hours in the day for Doug to respond to every e-mail, phone call etc. that he received, I have had questions answered at 1am. The hours Doug put in during the season would make most peoples heads spin. The best part is most of the people commenting here are basing their responses on rumour and innuendo, not facts, which is sad, and hide behind unregistered.

Old Post 12-15-13 09:38AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I'm sure the CCA sanction of the OCA had something to do with it.

Please elaborate. On a personal level, I had no problems with Doug. I think the biggest problem he had was not delegating some of his tasks to other employees at the OCA - if you try & do everything yourself, things fall through the cracks.

Old Post 12-15-13 09:58AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Perhaps the OCA should take this opportunity to more forward, and enhance what they have been doing. Now this is no indictment of Doug, but perhaps some goals for the new ED should be:

- continue to foster relations with sponsors
- I know what you said about the OCT, Gerry, but I think the OCT and OJCT should work more closely with the OCA and try to benefit the tour and OCA events. Let's work together.
- work more closely with local associations like the TCA and OVCA
- foster better relations with the clubs, such as highlighting good practices (like beginner leagues) and lessons learned
- work more closely with the provincial associations, in particular the Quebec and NO associations. I am sure there could be some "joint ventures" that might be mutually beneficial
- try to develop more curling in high schools. And not just the Gore and some leagues, I think curling has to develop intramural curling at the HS level. I believe that is key to the survival of the game. SK and MB seem to be doing that to some extent. Elaboration on this would require a new thread
- develop a marketing strategy to try to sell the game to new Canadians. It is still seen as a WASPy game, but in the major cities, that is not the growth demographic.

Old Post 12-15-13 12:32PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote