Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Scotties 2023
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
If Fleury does not come out of her funk and add at least 10 percentage points to her current Scotties' average, should she expect to receive a one-way ticket to Sudbury at the end of the season?

I think there’s a reason the talented Kira Brunton is their 5th…she’s supposedly playing for Team Inglis next season, but the temptation would be great

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-20-23 12:59PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

And on the ice? .the ice here sucks. It's just not good.

Agree. And it's hilarious to hear Russ make a critical comment about it and then abruptly end with the "but the ice is fantastic" qualifier. If he were playing it would be a whole lot different.

Old Post 02-20-23 03:25PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
I just came here because I felt compelled to make the exact same point. Already today we have her and Russ mutually discussing technical details bout paths. She's speaking about stroke rate for the sweepers. She's speaking about her own experience playing these teams.

Yes, obviously she's light years ahead of Russ and Cheryl on the sweeping aspects but she's also way past them on the psychology part of the game. Cheryl's idea of deep was to say "they need a plan and they need to focus on executing the plan" kind of pablum. Courtney goes about 5 levels deeper, her comments about how a skip carrying the hopes of the other players was more insightful than anything Russ or Cheryl has said in the last 10 years.

Old Post 02-20-23 04:11PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
I'm just going to say it. This is the weakest team Jones as ever had with her . Zacharias and Burgess are just a weak middle end. The make way to any half shots.

And I truly don't get the hype around Burgess . She is one dimensional. She's a great hitter but she can't daw at all. 9 times out of 10 she will miss a draw or sort weight shot . And it's getting tiring with the crew endlessly praise her and say " oh it's not like her to struggle that much with her draws". Yes it is. Every time I have seen her play she has had terrible to average draw weight .

And on the ice? .the ice here sucks. It's just not good.

Good to see galusha get off to this start. They were the darkhorse to get out of the group and beating Homan makes that far more likely.

Lawes and mccarville are very fortunate to be 2-0/2-1.

The 3 best teams from early on her ive seen are Canada., Nova Scotia and northwest territories . I expect things to change but it should be interesting if they can keep up that level of play

Burgess somehow puts up high percentages but her misses are bad side misses that handcuff the skip for the rest of the end. You don't have to be big to be a good sweeper but you need perfect technique and some strength/max effort (like Lawes) and Zacharias lacks technique and strength and as lifetime skip doesn't have the judgement a full time front ender has. That lineup is just strange.
Black looks very comfortable out there.
Homan and Fleury have played well this year but they just don't seem to mesh mentally. Homan is running the show and she should be holding the broom IMO.
Kelly has been in a million Scotties and there she was in the 10th vs McCarville basically playing for 1 and the tie instead of gambling for 2. Yes McCarville's rocks were in good position when 3rds threw but you have to go tap backs instead of peels if you want to win at the highest level.

Old Post 02-20-23 04:23PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Burgess puts up high percentage because Jen and the skips he curls with play to he strength of hitting as much as they can . . That why her numbers tend to be higher. She's a great hitter but wr dra and softer weight game is just not developed .

I agree. The lineup just doesn't make sense. Zacharias is no a front end player. She's a little more well rounded. I'm not ure why Burgess isn't playing second and Zacharias isn't playing third.

Old Post 02-20-23 07:15PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottb
Harvey Hacksmasher

Does anyone know why Kate Cameron went back to her maiden name back on her jacket? Divorced?

Old Post 02-20-23 10:51PM
scottb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scottb Find more posts by scottb Add scottb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by scottb
Does anyone know why Kate Cameron went back to her maiden name back on her jacket? Divorced?

It's really none of our business, but she does list a stepson on the official 2023 Scotties media guide as her family.

Old Post 02-21-23 12:34AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

I think there’s a reason the talented Kira Brunton is their 5th…she’s supposedly playing for Team Inglis next season, but the temptation would be great

Good one.

I'm not saying that Tracy Fleury couldn't leave the team, because of course things happen, but I don't think that bringing Kira has anything to do with that. They wanted someone who can spare for a pregnant player and thought she'd be able to do that.

And even if she wanted to replace Tracy, I don't think that Kira is high up in the rankings.

Old Post 02-21-23 02:07AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

My prediction is that unless there's a big life event outside of curling, Tracy Fleury will be part of Team Homan until 2026.

Old Post 02-21-23 03:55AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Mccarville is really going to need her sippola and Lilly to strt helping her more f she wants to win this thing. Krista herself is an incredible shot maker. She can make them all and if ehs feeling it like she was last night she's the kind of player that can carry the team on her own.

I feel like that's what's been going on. Northern Ontario is 4-1 largely because of Krista. But that can't keep going. At some point she will need more help from the middle 2

Old Post 02-21-23 07:43AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Zacharias is not a front end player. I'm not sure why Burgess isn't playing second and Zacharias isn't playing third. Misty1

Burgess is not playing 2nd simply because she refused to play 2nd.

The fact that Zacharias is not a solid front end player is somewhat irrelevant at this juncture. She is, in fact, looking forward now to the '23/24 season and wants to ensure that Burgess will be throwing 3rd bricks for her when she resumes her role as Skip.

Old Post 02-21-23 06:37PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jones40
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Joanne Courtney was fantastic in the booth. What a breath of fresh air and real insight.

Her insight is good but her voice is weak. Half the time she sounds reedy. I have noticed a slight improvement over the last couple of days particularly if she is offering up a differing opinion than Russ Howard.

As colour commentators go, she is much better than Mike Harris but not great.

Old Post 02-21-23 06:46PM
Jones40 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jones40 Click here to Send Jones40 a Private Message Find more posts by Jones40 Add Jones40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Jones40

Her insight is good but her voice is weak. Half the time she sounds reedy. I have noticed a slight improvement over the last couple of days particularly if she is offering up a differing opinion than Russ Howard.

Imagine saying this about the female commentator when the man is Russ Howard, who has one of the scratchiest voices in history.

How long before we start hearing about vocal fry. Yikes.

Old Post 02-21-23 07:17PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

quote:

I agree. I think she has an excellent curling mind, but she's stiff on TV. I chalk that up to being relatively new. She is sounding more conversational as the week progresses. I really like the commentary team now.

Old Post 02-21-23 07:42PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

posted by scottb [/i]

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
[B]
It's really none of our business, but she does list a stepson on the official 2023 Scotties media guide as her family.

So you're telling me there's a chance......Yeah!

Old Post 02-22-23 06:52AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricorock
Knee-Slider

Draw to the Button Tiebreaker

It looks like Pool A could be a real mess of ties behind Kerri. Now that there can only be one tiebreaker game it looks like the draw to the button will come into effect.

Does anyone know where these statistics might be available?

Old Post 02-23-23 01:03AM
Ricorock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricorock Find more posts by Ricorock Add Ricorock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Curling Canada publishes the LSD distances.

https://www.curling.ca/scoreboard/

Reminder that Curling Canada uses cumulative (WCF uses average instead). It kind of matters when teams receive byes and haven't all played the same number of games.

Keep in mind that head-to-head has higher priority in the tiebreaking procedure. The messier it gets, the smaller the probability that DSC matters.

Old Post 02-23-23 01:50AM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
[B]I'm just going to say it. This is the weakest team Jones as ever had with her . Zacharias and Burgess are just a weak middle end. The make way to any half shots.

And I truly don't get the hype around Burgess . She is one dimensional. She's a great hitter but she can't daw at all. 9 times out of 10 she will miss a draw or sort weight shot .
Lawes and mccarville are very fortunate to be 2-0/2-1.
]

Seriously know your lane and don't post these over the top negative opinions about young curlers. They are both proven accomplished curlers taking first steps into the adult game. This reminds me of how Kaitlyn Lawes was perceived by some her early years.

Old Post 02-23-23 05:30AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I'm going to post what I want whether you like it or not. It's based off what I've observed . You're free to disagree but don't try and control what i say

I'm not saying she's not a good player . Or that she wont have a good career. She's a world class hitter but her softer weight shot is a weak point , I'm not going to sit here and ignore that like the commentary do and pretend it's weird when she struggles with draws. I'm just not as excited about her as others are.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-23-23 at 11:07AM

Old Post 02-23-23 08:33AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I really didn't expect Quebec to be where they are. They've had a really poor season but i guess if you peak at the right time it doesnt matter. They have been impressive here.

At the same time it's sad to see Nova Scotia and the territories fading down the stretch.

Group of death top 3 is basically decided unless team Homan has a double loss day today..which is possible , i guess. The 3 everyone expected are at the top.

Group a is a little messier. I really thought Kaitlyn would battle Kerri for top spot but she needs a lot 9f help today if she wants to get out. My guess right now is that Alberta and Quebec will join canada out of the group but we'll see

Old Post 02-23-23 08:42AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Yeah, it's going to take time for her to be fully comfortable but I enjoy her a lot. She's so insightful , she doesn't talk over the players. Cheryl had her strengths too but Joanne is much more enjoyable to listen to and informative.

Anyone know why vic is only doing nights?

Old Post 02-23-23 12:35PM
EPMD
Swing Artist

Re: Draw to the Button Tiebreaker

quote:
Originally posted by Ricorock
It looks like Pool A could be a real mess of ties behind Kerri. Now that there can only be one tiebreaker game it looks like the draw to the button will come into effect.

Does anyone know where these statistics might be available?

What a frustrating way to end someone's tournament. That said, this entire Pool A, other than Team Canada, isn't good enough to win a national championship. Maybe Team Lawes could get there some day, but for now, it's been a very easy and low-pressure schedule for Einarson. They'll have their one or two key pressure moments eventually, but it's a bad tournament design when the top team isn't tested until the second weekend.

Old Post 02-23-23 02:25PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
I'm going to post what I want whether you like it or not. It's based off what I've observed . You're free to disagree but don't try and control what i say

I'm not saying she's not a good player . Or that she wont have a good career. She's a world class hitter but her softer weight shot is a weak point , I'm not going to sit here and ignore that like the commentary do and pretend it's weird when she struggles with draws. I'm just not as excited about her as others are.

Obviously Jones disagrees with you. She tends to see the potential in these young junior grads who won world junior titles ( like Lawes ). Their W/L record is quite strong this season for a new line up.

If we just judged players by their first appearance then Suzanne Birt would have been the best curler of this generation.

Old Post 02-23-23 02:57PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Bunch of meaningless games in this afternoon draw. They really should have shifted one of the three meaningful night games forward into this time slot. I don't think any of the teams involved would complain about getting TV time.

Old Post 02-23-23 04:50PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

If TSN/SN and other talking heads could refrain fron constantly scrutinizing Team Homan every draw, that'd be nice.

Old Post 02-23-23 06:59PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote